Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Disney World and breastfeeding?

  1. #11

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    Hurray! Have fun at Disney World.

    I have had luck with both my own parents and my in laws quoting the WHO guidelines. I haven't had to deal with direct disapproval (DD is only 7 weeks), but little less than helpful comments like: When are you going to teach her to take a bottle? She can't be hungry again. She needs water. You'll eventually have to give it up and use bottles because she'll be too hungry to breast feed all the time. How long are you going to breastfeed?

    I've also taken to starting conversations with: "I learned this about breastfeeding today..."

    I also keep trying to remind them that billions of humans have been raised on breast milk successfully...and unless your daughter can sit down and eat a steak dinner, she still needs milk!

    Final card -- I spoke to the pediatrician before vacation, and he said it was SO important that I breastfeed because LO will be around new germs on the plane/in the park/etc... The doctor INSISTED that I breastfeed.... :-)

    If you do use the nursing areas, which sound really nice, take your MIL. Maybe she'll see other women nursing older children.

    Good luck!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    Is it possible to get your own room without your in-laws? So you could breastfeed without hearing them or them snooping around. The baby carrier or sling works, practicing nursing positions with it before your trip is necessary. I always wear my baby when I go out. And a daddy who is supportive of your breastfeeding is your knight in shining armor. My hubbie towers on people (from the hospital, in public to nosy family members) when they are too curious or has something to say against my breastfeeding.

    I too wish I could bring my sons to Disneyland...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    I JUST did a Disney World trip, and nursed my 9mo old the ENTIRE TIME. Anywhere, anytime. I just used a blanket. With that being said, we also went with friends of our, and their 15mo old. She nurses her twice a day still, and she did so while we watched the Beauty and the Beast show! No biggie!

    With in laws, it's about the support of your husband. I and my husband both were planning on extended breast feeding. Then my mind changed, and I was hoping to get hubbs on board. I asked if he would attend my LLL meeting, and he wasn't so interested, he just would rather leave that to "the ladies" he said. So I suggested a meeting with my LC at our hospital. He's ON BOARD with that. And is now open to learning more about extended nursing. So, maybe if hubbs knew the FACTS, he can educate his parents, while putting them in their place.

    Never stop nursing your baby to make some adult happy. Politely use a blanket, to make them and you comfortable, excuse your self if you feel the need, but never stop feeding your baby to satisfy someone else. This is coming from someone who never thougth I would be nursing past a year Oh how things have changed.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    I had big problems with inlaws and nursing, or I should say they had big problems with extended nursing. How you deal with it would depend on how open to discussion you thing they are. For me, after trying to discuss benifits, ect, I finally just did what I wanted to, nursed the same as normal around them and when MIL made any comments, just said "I understand that you think that" or "I'm sorry you feel that way". No discussion, no opening for argument!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emcuevas View Post
    I JUST did a Disney World trip, and nursed my 9mo old the ENTIRE TIME. Anywhere, anytime. I just used a blanket. With that being said, we also went with friends of our, and their 15mo old. She nurses her twice a day still, and she did so while we watched the Beauty and the Beast show! No biggie!

    With in laws, it's about the support of your husband. I and my husband both were planning on extended breast feeding. Then my mind changed, and I was hoping to get hubbs on board. I asked if he would attend my LLL meeting, and he wasn't so interested, he just would rather leave that to "the ladies" he said. So I suggested a meeting with my LC at our hospital. He's ON BOARD with that. And is now open to learning more about extended nursing. So, maybe if hubbs knew the FACTS, he can educate his parents, while putting them in their place.

    Never stop nursing your baby to make some adult happy. Politely use a blanket, to make them and you comfortable, excuse your self if you feel the need, but never stop feeding your baby to satisfy someone else. This is coming from someone who never thougth I would be nursing past a year Oh how things have changed.


    I have a Disneyland question for those who've been there with little ones. We're planning a trip w/ our 6 yr old sometime this year. Our LO would be 9 months or so, depending on when we go. We're thinking there wouldn't be much she could go on and we're not sure we want to take turns going on rides (we'd rather be able to all go on them together). We can leave LO with my mom (who's totally supportive of BF). Would you recommend leaving LO or bringing her? Is there much for a 9 mo old to do?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*efifer View Post
    I have a Disneyland question for those who've been there with little ones. We're planning a trip w/ our 6 yr old sometime this year. Our LO would be 9 months or so, depending on when we go. We're thinking there wouldn't be much she could go on and we're not sure we want to take turns going on rides (we'd rather be able to all go on them together). We can leave LO with my mom (who's totally supportive of BF). Would you recommend leaving LO or bringing her? Is there much for a 9 mo old to do?
    We just went to Disney (Magic Kingdom) with our 4 yr old and 2 yr old. There are rides/attractions/shows you can all do as a family. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Jungle Boat cruise, It's a Small World, the Disney Train, etc. The link below is to a book we got and read before going - it has all the rides/attractions with their height requirements and it even rates how scary they are for young kids. It's a GREAT book. There are obviously things you can't take a 9mo old on that a 6yr old can do. Would you be able to bring your mom with you for the trip? Then she could hang with the baby while you do some things with your 6yr old. And even hang with both while you do some things without the kids.


    http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Walt-Di...9864377&sr=8-1
    Mommy to:

    Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

    Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Disney World and breastfeeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    We just went to Disney (Magic Kingdom) with our 4 yr old and 2 yr old. There are rides/attractions/shows you can all do as a family. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Jungle Boat cruise, It's a Small World, the Disney Train, etc. The link below is to a book we got and read before going - it has all the rides/attractions with their height requirements and it even rates how scary they are for young kids. It's a GREAT book. There are obviously things you can't take a 9mo old on that a 6yr old can do. Would you be able to bring your mom with you for the trip? Then she could hang with the baby while you do some things with your 6yr old. And even hang with both while you do some things without the kids.


    http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Walt-Di...9864377&sr=8-1
    I Agree 100% w/ PP! 9mo DS loved the rides, even pirates of the Carribean! (spelled wrong) Anyway, my DD is 6, and 48" she went on EVERYTHING yes, even the scary ones. What you can do, is get a "Rider Switch Pass." You walk up to the line, tell the Disney person "can we get a rider switch pass?" Then Dad can go on w/ your Older one, while you wait with the LO. When they come back, you and the older one get to use the Fast Pass line RIGHT then and there! So you and Dad can take turns with the older one. Yes, it's a bit more time consuming, however you BOTH get to share the experiance, and not miss out!... The Disney website has a Mom forum, and it's like this, with Moms who can answer your questions. My only complaint is how few places allow strollers. We spend too much time finding our stroller and carrying DS. I suggest a carrier pack if it's not too hot, and you don't feel like carrying baby all of the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •