Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why, oh why am i sore?

Default why, oh why am i sore?

LO is now 6 months old and we have been exclusively BF since day one. I struggled to get the hang of things in the beginning. I dealt with clogged ducts on my left side at about week 2 and lingering nipple soreness until about 6 weeks or so. Things have been going really well and my LO is a chunk. My problem now is that about a week ago, my left nipple started to feel sore and tender again . . . and then just yesterday, the right one started to feel sore and tender also. It is a bit painful when LO latches on and continues to feel that way throughout nursing. What in the world could this be from? They feel like they're just not "conditioned" or something. It's not totally unbearable, but it makes me worry. I haven't noticed any outward signs of anything. AF has not yet made a regular reappearance (I had a bout of spotting a few weeks ago that lasted a few days, so I wasn't sure if that was really AF or just something weird going on) and I'm about 99.9% sure I'm not prego again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I feel like we've worked so hard to get this BF thing down and the thought of something going wrong makes me so sad and anxious.

Default Re: why, oh why am i sore?

First thing that popped into my head was if you might be pg because of the spotting. Have you POAS?

Has your LO shown any signs of teething?? When my DD was teething it kind of changed her latch for a little bit

Hope the soreness goes away soon!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I did POAS and it was negative. I'll retry in a few days just to be sure. What else could it be??? No visible signs of teeth, yet, but there is no shortage of drool and toy/finger chewing at our house.

A common cause of the sort of pain you describe is a nipple bleb or blister: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html They're often associated with clogged ducts- so if you have a history of those it's another indication that a bleb is worth considering.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html

this might be helpful too..

I took any breast or nipple pain as a good excuse to slow down and take care of myslef!
    Get lots of rest and fluids to drink

Thanks so much for the replies. That last link was particularly helpful . . . I don't think it's a bleb or blister, but I'm going to try to take it easy and offer to nurse as much as LO will take. There's so much to discover in the world that milk is not nearly as exciting as everything else (unless we are in a dark, quiet space).