Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing toddler and cow's milk

Question Nursing toddler and cow's milk

So I nurse my 17.5 month old about 5x a day. Wake up, before nap, after nap, bedtime, and at least once during the night.

I haven't been giving her anything but water to drink during the day. She steals her sister's sippy of milk sometimes and I let her have some. Tonight I finally poured her a little cup of cow's milk with dinner. FYI, she is 80% for weight and height. She eats 3 meals and a couple snacks a day. I nurse her because I want to, she wants to and I know it is good for her. Would like to nurse for at least two years.

Just wondering if you girls give any other milk forms to your nursing toddler. (DD1 had weaned by 18 months and had cow's milk at 14 months or so. I weaned her b/c I wanted to get preggo and not be nursing.)

Thanks.
    DD1 9/30/06 7lb3oz BF 18 months
    DD2 9/23/09 8lb0oz

and lovin' it! Hoping for 2 years!!

Default Re: Nursing toddler and cow's milk

Joe gets cow's milk when I'm gone at work. No problem. I understand you don't NEED to give cow's milk if the baby is nursing 4X per day. It's up to you.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

DD dosent like cows milk. She may ahve a sip or so once ina while form DS's cup, but thats it. She nurses way more then 4x a day so I dont worry. I think at that age its fine to give your LO a cup or so of milk
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Mine have it in cold cereal and I do cook with cows milk, and cheese.
    They do have yougart too... But we don't sit down and drink a glass of milk....

maybe with warm cookies but thats not every day..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Joe gets cow's milk when I'm gone at work. No problem. I understand you don't NEED to give cow's milk if the baby is nursing 4X per day. It's up to you.
    This is what I did with Lilah too. She started drinking cow's milk at the sitter's house while I was at work when she was around 14 months old and I wasn't pumping anymore.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I haven't given DD straight cow's milk yet but she does like cottage cheese and other cheeses. She drinks water in a cup and then nurses all the time. If I'm at work she can have water.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My daughter is 13 months old and I just started giving her a tiny bit of milk a couple times a day. She has been eating yogurt since about 10 months old, also.

I give ds2 cows milk with lunch and dinner. He consumes maybe 3/4cup total in a day. He is 16 months and nurse about 8-10 times a day and 4-6 times a night. He doesn't need the cow milk, he just likes it. I had secret hopes that it would cut down his nursing just a little...but no such luck.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I give ds whole cows milk with meals instead of water, mostly because he is so skinny. He probably only drinks .5 to .75 of a cup a day. He nurses 6 times each day and 1 or 2 times in the night lately.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again