Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Popping off and on the breast

Default Popping off and on the breast

Lately DD (6 1/2 months) has started coming off the breast for a second, then latching back on to nurse. She'll push herself off the boob (still latched), then unlatch and pull her head back for a second, like she's catching her breath or something.

It's not my let-down because when she comes off, milk isn't spraying. I thought maybe it wasn't coming out fast enough (but that shouldn't be the issue, we have NO supply problems) so I tried compression and that didn't help either.

Could this just be part of her being a distractable nurser? I sortof didn't think it was that either though because I was just nursing her to sleep a minute ago in the dark, and she was doing it worse than ever. Maybe she just wasn't too hungry? Whatever it is, it's very annoying and frustrating, especially when I'm trying to get her to sleep! I don't know...what are your opinions?

Default Re: Popping off and on the breast

I don't really have any good advice for you except to say that my LO (4 mo) has gone through several spells of doing this and it. drives. me. crazy. She eventually goes back to nursing normally, but it can be VERY frustrating. So hang in there!

Tell me about it! I wear a necklace during the day and that seems to keep her occupied, but I'm not going to wear a necklace at night when I'm trying to get her to sleep! Don't know what else to do!

My LO still does this, she's distractable, and she does it sometimes for what appears to me as no reason. I think though that sometimes it must be internal...could it be like a gas bubble/ maybe burp or tummy pain? Sometimes she unlatches to pass some gas and then latches on again.

ETA: what position do you feed her in at night? side lying or are you sitting up?
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; March 8th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

my 13 week old just started this. I thought it was low supply, but she's not fussy and when i pinch the nipple, milk sprays. she stops sucking, pulls off, smiles at me and goes back. It's very irritating and i cant figure out what she's up to....besides being destractable.

My little guy does this, and it usually just means he needs to burp. He's a very gassy guy!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

My little one is doing this now, she is 4 weeks and its driving me mad. She will not stay on long enough to eat so I have to give her a bottle of pumped milk. I want to breastfeed though, how long did this go on for? And is there anything I can do to hurry the process?

wednesdaync, not sure how long it will last, but you can try nursing her maybe when she's falling asleep for a nap, or in a darkened room with few noises, or you can try changing positions or feed her lying down. does she stay on long enough for your milk to let down? if not, maybe try getting the let down yourself and then attaching her so she gets the instant reward. Since she is so young still, be careful giving her the bottle too much, or make sure you use slow flow nipples so that she doesn't start to prefer the bottle to your breast, which can be hard to reverse
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My 7 week old does this sometimes too. I don't know what it is, but at night, she does and while she's fussing. It's very frustrating.