Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it worth trying?

Default Is it worth trying?

Hi all!

My son is 6 and half month old. Due to slow weight gain issues I had to start supplmenting with formula starting the third week after he was born. I nurse him whenever I am home, then give him any expressed breast milk (which I pump during day at work). When he is in day care he drinks formula 3 times (6 ounce each) along with solids. I am not able to pump enough milk to give him during the day care. So he gets 18 ounce of formula and around 12 ounce of breast milk in a day.

I was wondering if anyone in the forum has been successful to cut down on the formula and get their baby totally on the breast milk at 6 months. I can not nurse him during the day. He wakes up only once during the night and I wake up once after that to pump. I also pump before I go to bed which is usually 2 hours after he sleeps. I spend only 3 hours with him on a week day before he goes to sleep. On a weekend, I would like to nurse him often, but I am REALLY REALLY AFRAID to break his schedule and just keep on nursing him. Also, I want him to spend enough time trying to crawl, sit up, stand and he can not do that if I try to nurse him constantly. I understand it was a little easier to do it when he was 1-2 months age. But now that he is mobile and ready to explore new things and play, is it even worth trying?

-sdb

Default Re: Is it worth trying?

I'm a SAHM now, and my youngest is a little over 7 mos. old. He still nurses every 2 or 2.5 hours during the day and it doesn't interfere with his development at all. I've read that there are studies that say that the act of breastfeeding actually encourages development while they're breastfeeding. My son can sit up unassisted (like to play on the floor), stand up while holding onto something, and has started to crawl. I wouldn't worry that increased nursing will harm development in any way, because your LO is still going to be interested in what's going on around him, and probably want down to play right after nursing.

I don't supplement, but from what I've read, maybe you could try nursing all of the time on the weekend...you could maybe cut out one of the supplements and nurse instead, and build your supply up a bit. I'm sure the other mom's who have supplemented have good info for you too. As far as the schedule thing goes, when my oldest was in daycare, he had a schedule at daycare, and no schedule at home at night and on the weekends...other than bedtime, LOL. I always nursed on demand with him whenever I was with him and he adapted just fine. It took a little while for the adjustment, but just like when he's with daddy (and I get a couple of hours away), he realized that the DCP took care of him a different way with a different schedule than mommy and he did fine with the scheduling differences.

One other note...if you do decide to build your supply up and go to just breastmilk, you may need to send more of it with to daycare, and the DCP may need to feed your ds more often and change your ds's schedule anyway, since breastmilk digests much faster than formula, he need it more often than right now.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; October 25th, 2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That is very encouraging to know. I will try to nurse him on demand this weekend and see how it goes. But, I am still afraid that since my body wont be producing enough, he will get less nutrition. I guess it will take time to build up my supply by even one ounce.

-sdb

For your own sanity, I'd recommend trying to nurse him as much as possible when you're together and just pump when you're apart. He will be so much more efficient at emptying your breasts.

When you said he is getting 18 ounces of formula and 12 ounces of breastmilk, is that what he drinks at daycare?

Have you started solids at all?

No, he gets 18 ounce of formula at day care and about 12 ounce of breastmilk at home (rough calculation of nursing and bottle fed BM). Yes, I have started with cereal.

Good luck, I think it can be done. The key to increasing your supply will be to nurse/pump as much as possible. Try for 8-12 (10 or more is ideal). As he gets older, you can decrease the formula and use more bm and solids.

FWIW, my son is 9 months old and I am only sending 4 ounce bottles of bm to the dcp. That's all I've ever sent. They used to complain that it wasn't enough, and I'd try explaining that he's fed a MINIMUM of 8 times a day. Some dcp's overfeed the babies.

On a normal weekend, what's your schedule with your LO (regarding nursing)? If you're worried about going cold turkey and ditching the formula completely, you could always cut out one formula bottle at a time and leave enough days in between for your bm supply to increase and take up the slack. For instance, this weekend you could eliminate the earliest bottle of formula, and nurse as soon as LO wakes up, then offer to nurse every 2 or 2.5 hours or sooner if he's hungry. When you get to the normal time of day where you'd offer the 2nd bottle of formula, you could do that, and keep up your schedule like normal, although you may want to try to add some time to pump extra or offer to nurse more often than normal to build your supply up. Then, in a few days when you're confident that your supply has increased enough cover the 1st formula feeding, you could eliminate the second one and so on.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I have always been worried about suddenly stopping the formula and keeping him hungry. Every weekend I think about giving him less formula and try to feed him as much as possible, but our breast feeding sessions never end, since I dont have enough milk. He looks pretty frustrated at times. But, this is something I can try & see how far I can avoid making that formula bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by sdb View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I have always been worried about suddenly stopping the formula and keeping him hungry. Every weekend I think about giving him less formula and try to feed him as much as possible, but our breast feeding sessions never end, since I dont have enough milk. He looks pretty frustrated at times. But, this is something I can try & see how far I can avoid making that formula bottle.
    I used this information when weaning off supplements and it was very helpful.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html