Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about length of nursing session

Default question about length of nursing session

Hi,

I have a 9 week old little girl and I am worried that she is not nursing for long enough. Her nursing sessions range anywhere from 4-10 minutes, and she only is taking one side per session. When she does pull off, I burp and then try to get her to latch on again, but she sticks out her tongue. I know that I have read that some babies are just very efficient at the breast, but I just want to make sure that she is getting enough. I nurse her every 3 hours, sometimes closer to 2.5 in the late afternoon/early evening, and she is rarely fussy between feedings. I am a first time mom, so I would appreciate any advice or information

Thanks so much!!

Default Re: question about length of nursing session

If your really worried make an apiontnent with a lactation consultant. She will weigh your LO before and after a nursing session and let you know how much is being taken in
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

As long as you are feeding on demand and your baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, seems satisfied after feedings, and is gaining weight at a normal pace, it's okay for her to be a fast feeder. When in doubt, count diapers: good output = good input.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As long as you are feeding on demand and your baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, seems satisfied after feedings, and is gaining weight at a normal pace, it's okay for her to be a fast feeder. When in doubt, count diapers: good output = good input.

My second daughter is 7 weeks old and nurses a lot like your baby. My first baby would nurse for 45 minutes to an hour on each side. So this one seems really strange when she only wants to nurse for 5 minutes and looks all milk drunk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with Mommal. If her diaper output is good, you are doing just fine.

My DD is a very efficient nurser. She rarely nurses for longer than 5 to 10 minutes, and usually takes only one side. She is 7 months old and has been this way since day one . She is a chunky happy baby and growing faster than her older brother ever did at this age. Funny thing is that he always nursed for 30 to 45 minutes .

As others have said, if diaper output is good, don't doubt yourseslf! My first two rarely nursed for more than 5-10 minutes per side and they had great diaper output, gained weight well, and were very satisfied after feeding!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!