Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doing EVERYTHING - cannot get anything from pumping!!

Default Doing EVERYTHING - cannot get anything from pumping!!

I am SO FRUSTRATED. My son is 3m. Since being back at work, my milk has been slowly decreasing. I am barely getting 1 oz. a day now (TOTAL). It is ridiculous. I am doing everything - drinking the tea, taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal, drinking beer. I just started Reglan yesterday. I have bought every size of shield there is. UGH!!! I want to pull my hair out. Why does this have to be so hard. I have to work longer days to make up for the time I spend pumping and it's not really worth it because I'm not getting any milk. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Default Re: Doing EVERYTHING - cannot get anything from pumping!!

Mama, I'm sorry you're so frustrated and pumping is not going well! Can you tell me what kind of pump you are using, are you pumping both breasts at the same time, how many times a day you are pumping and for how long each session, are you massaging your breasts while pumping... that's all I can think of, for the moment.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

some possible resources - apologies if you've already seen these things!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

http://workandpump.com/pumping.htm
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks, ladies. I am using a Hygiea, double electric pump. I have tried massaging... trying everything. Pumping three times when I'm at work... normally for about 30 minutes each time. I try to pump at home, but don't have much time for that with nursing. We started supplementing from the beginning at the suggestion of the hospital staff and he recently started sleeping through the night. I think those things are really coming into play with my low supply. I am going to start getting him back up at night or pumping. I am just so ready to give up.

When you are home with the baby all day, like on the weekends, do you nurse exclusively and baby seems satisfied at the breast? If the answer is yes, I would guess that your supply is just fine... but your body isn't responding to the pump well. It's apparently quite common to be able to nurse a baby with no problem, but not be able to get very much milk out using a pump.

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about the Hygeia pump you are using... perhaps someone who has used one will be along to help! Have you made sure the pump is put together properly and all parts are new and in working order?

I'm definitely not saying give up on pumping yet... But you should also know that breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing... even if you find that you can't make the pumping work, you could always do "combination feeding" where you can still breastfeed your LO when you are together, but supplement the bottles when you are apart. Any little bit of breastmilk is wonderful!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I use a Hygeia pump. It took me a little while to adjust to it. In the beginning, I couldn't pump hardly anything & I had a LOT of milk. The key for me is relaxing, staying hydrated, and eating lots of protein. Also, having pics of my little one helps.

I wonder if 30 min is too long. I usually pump for 15 min at work. Also, what setting do you have your pump on? I found that I needed to increase the suction and speed a little ---not too much but enough so I could feel something & it could mimic my daughter's sucking. I would pump more often but for less amounts of time. That usually works best than pumping for so long at one time.

Are you clogged at all? That really affects my pumping output.

Hope things get better!!

Thanks for your support, everyone. I stopped letting him sleep at night, started pumping more, but shorter time periods and am doing better at making sure I don't go longer than 4 hours without nursing or pumping. We are doing A LOT better!! Thanks again!