Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Success night-weaning on your own?

Default Re: Success night-weaning on your own?

I night weaned DD at 22 months because I counldn't handle the ALL NIGHT nursing anymore. She literally only slept while latched on from 4 to 22 months . We just stopped cold turkey. I explained to her that the milks were going to go to sleep when we went to sleep and that they wouldn't wake up until the sun came up. I told her that we could sing or rock, but that the milks would stay asleep. The first three nights were terrible. She was MAD! But after that she was fine. We sang a lot in the first couple months, and then she just started asking us to snuggle her and she'd go back to sleep. Sometimes she'll still wake up and say, "Is the sun up yet? Can I have mama milk?" We're still happily co-sleeping now at 3 years and 4 months .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    I night weaned DD at 22 months because I counldn't handle the ALL NIGHT nursing anymore. She literally only slept while latched on from 4 to 22 months . We just stopped cold turkey. I explained to her that the milks were going to go to sleep when we went to sleep and that they wouldn't wake up until the sun came up. I told her that we could sing or rock, but that the milks would stay asleep. The first three nights were terrible. She was MAD! But after that she was fine. We sang a lot in the first couple months, and then she just started asking us to snuggle her and she'd go back to sleep. Sometimes she'll still wake up and say, "Is the sun up yet? Can I have mama milk?" We're still happily co-sleeping now at 3 years and 4 months .
    thank you for this!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Thanks Tracie. I don't think we are at that point yet, but I don't really want to get there either. Last night was a little She nursed and I fell asleep but she didn't. I woke up 45 minutes later and she was still awake/nursing. I was trying to get her to release her latch, but she wouldn't and I didn't want to force her because I don't want to get injured by her teeth. Finally we got up to go to the bathroom and then she fell asleep (without nursing)

I have the NCSS - I have to read it again I think I read it over 1 year ago.
    Have you ever tried counting or singing to get her to do or stop doing something? I count to 10 before we do fun things sometimes or for Lilah to stop doing something, or to put toys away, etc. I started using that when she was nursing - You can nurse until I count to 10 and then we have to stop. She resisted at first but started to unlatch on her own after a few days when I started counting.

I totally hear you on the teeth!!

What Becca is talking about is basically what my friend did.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you ever tried counting or singing to get her to do or stop doing something? I count to 10 before we do fun things sometimes or for Lilah to stop doing something, or to put toys away, etc. I started using that when she was nursing - You can nurse until I count to 10 and then we have to stop. She resisted at first but started to unlatch on her own after a few days when I started counting.

I totally hear you on the teeth!!

What Becca is talking about is basically what my friend did.
    Yeah, she won't unlatch. She's stubborn! Maybe after stickign with it for a few days she will get it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

when you figure out what works, let the rest of us know! I think my DD will decrease night nursing when she is done teething. Some nights she barely de-latches (like once so I can go to the bathroom) and other nights only nurses 3-4 times. But the 3-4 times nights are pretty rare.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.