Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Success night-weaning on your own?

Default Re: Success night-weaning on your own?

Last night she nursed to sleep and when i took her off after a few minutes she just rolled over and kept sleeping. She did wake up once and was bugging me to nurse. I tried to ignore her, but she didn't forget and started whining. I don't want her to wake DH up - he was home at that point so I nursed for a few minutes. I couldn't fall back asleep though I'm so conflicted and confused about all this.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

awe my hubby woke me up at 4am when he got up to go to the bathroom...
    And I was up from like 4-6 and then I have to get up at 7 to get the kids on the school bus.

hang in there! IF you feal like its time then maybe its time.
    Sarah's last feed to wean was right before bed.
    Do you think she would accept a drink of juice or cows milk instead?
    in the middle of the night, is she potty trained?
    sometimes they do wake up to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    awe my hubby woke me up at 4am when he got up to go to the bathroom...
    And I was up from like 4-6 and then I have to get up at 7 to get the kids on the school bus.

hang in there! IF you feal like its time then maybe its time.
    Sarah's last feed to wean was right before bed.
    Do you think she would accept a drink of juice or cows milk instead?
    in the middle of the night, is she potty trained?
    sometimes they do wake up to pee.
    Drink an extra cup of coffee

Last night was okay I thing because it wasn't all night long and I didn't start to get annoyed
    I'm not sure about the drink. I'll have to try that. She always wants her water cup on the nightable. I am not even sure if Ihave milk left or if it's just the sucking that she wants. she actually said the other day "suck mommy's ma-milks" that was weird
    She is potty trained and will get up and go at night but alot of times she will get up around the time I get up to go to work to go. I always have to get up and go of course but she doesn't always want to come with me
    Proud mom of 2:

Katie, a friend of mine nightweaned her daughter around 18 months by telling her that they would nurse again when the sun came up in the morning. Her daughter was not happy about it, and she had a few tough nights, but she was held while she screamed and never left to cry it out.

Are you and your DH home together on the weekends? Maybe, if you decide to do it, you could do it when you know that everyone can get extra sleep?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Katie, a friend of mine nightweaned her daughter around 18 months by telling her that they would nurse again when the sun came up in the morning. Her daughter was not happy about it, and she had a few tough nights, but she was held while she screamed and never left to cry it out.

Are you and your DH home together on the weekends? Maybe, if you decide to do it, you could do it when you know that everyone can get extra sleep?
    I wonder if that would work. Thanks.
    We are home together on the weekends. I'll have to bring it up and see what he thinks. I was thinking maybe he could help on the weekend. i think the next long weekend we have is Easter - if he's off on Friday, I'm not sure.
    Proud mom of 2:

I think I have told you this before, or someone else anyway. I think the only time you are successful at any kind of weaning, night-weaning or otherwise is when the nursing seems worse than the alternative. You aren't really all in until you get to that point. Thankfully I am really fortunate and my DH basically did the nightweaning for me. But there were some nights that I put Lilah to bed when he travelled and she wanted to nurse and it was better for me to listen to her cry at me for 30 minutes than it was to nurse. I just could not stand nursing at night anymore sometime in the 2nd trimester. Same thing kind of happened with the full on weaning when she was 2. I just couldn't take it anymore and the nursing itself was worse than any behavior she could exhibit over not nursing.

It's different for everyone. You guys should do what feels right to you, and it will work out, not matter what you decide.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I feel you pain in a way. My LO is 17.5 months and I am sooo ready for her to be out of our bed and sleeping through the night. However, my hubby has long hours and needs his rest along with our dd who is in school. Baby number 4 is a possibility in the next year so I would like to get a little rest and my bed back before then(if we decide we for sure want a #4) Mine roots around until she finds it and also nurses off and on during the day but I have started trying to stop nursing when we are not in the house but since I am home all day it's not a steady schedule. She is also very headstrong and get upset when I say not now. Good Luck I am going to start weanign LO this spring break while my dd doesn't have school and won't 'mind' being woke up.....
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

I just started reading Elizabeth pantleys "no cry sleep solution" she has lots of tips on breaking co sleeping and weaning from feeding to sleep. There is a toddler/preschooler version as well. Lots of good info. Might be worth a look.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

I night-weaned both my girls while co-sleeping but they were only 12 months and 15 months. I will tell you that you do need to be set on doing it and ready for tears/freak outs, etc. DD2 was so much more stubborn than DD1 and it took way longer, but once we were on night 3 or 4, I knew I was in it because I had worked too hard to go back. I think the nice thing about co-sleeping is that you can be right there, speaking soothingly, and comforting them in other ways. The nice thing about her being older, is that you can tell her ahead of time that you will not be nursing her in the night and even though she may still whine and cry, it may not be for as long because you already warned her and she had some time to process it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks Tracie. I don't think we are at that point yet, but I don't really want to get there either. Last night was a little She nursed and I fell asleep but she didn't. I woke up 45 minutes later and she was still awake/nursing. I was trying to get her to release her latch, but she wouldn't and I didn't want to force her because I don't want to get injured by her teeth. Finally we got up to go to the bathroom and then she fell asleep (without nursing)

I have the NCSS - I have to read it again I think I read it over 1 year ago.
    Proud mom of 2: