Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping (and eating) Like a Baby

Default Sleeping (and eating) Like a Baby

Happy Friday to everyone-

So I know that newborns have their own schedules, they eat and sleep when they want, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice or strategies for coping with the inevitable late night stretches--my LO goes back and forth between doing longer sleep stretches during the day versus the night. The last few nights she has been COMPLETELY awake for at least 3-4 hours at night, usually between midnight and 5am, and all she wants to do is suck, so I can't really hand her off to my husband. We are trying to stay away from pacifiers too, so that pretty much leaves the boob.

I am fairly confident this isn't so much about eating, and i have tried to remind myself that this is normal for a baby--last night we both got maybe an hour in there when I let her suck side-lying, and we both dozed. But I notice that this kind of feeing pattern is much more likely to stress me out than when she does the same thing during the daytime hours...

I know I am not alone in this experience, so how have some of you other mamas out there coped, other than coffee in the morning?
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Default Re: Sleeping (and eating) Like a Baby

I swaddled my first baby for the first several months. It helped him sleep more soundly.

I haven't done this, but I know a lot of mamas on here co-sleep; that way, when your baby is nursing, you can doze (as you have already discovered).

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

So we do co-sleep, which has helped somewhat, and we have been swaddling with mixed success--our problem has been, if she is going to be awake, swaddling just annoys her. It certainly keeps our LO asleep when she is sleepy, but if she is awake she grunts and strains against the swaddle--for me its more about figuring out how to get through the long, late night alert sessions.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

I'm going through this right now. My little guy was sleeping 6-7 hours at night when he first came home, until I couldn't take his all day feeding schedule. Seven hours of sleep at night was not worth seven hours of constant feeding during the day, so I started waking him. Now he has day and night flipped, since time is an irrelevant concept for babies.

I am doing a few things to change this pattern. During the day, I never let him sleep longer than 2 hours between feedings. I try to keep him awake afterwards with some toys and stimulation. I pump one bottle for my husband to give him before bedtime so I can an early evening nap. I also pump two bottles for my husband to give him on the weekend nights, so I can get a full night's sleep. I am starting to give him a nighttime bath and massage to relax him before bedtime.

Hang in there momma. You're not alone.

Hello, I'm sorry that you are feeling frustrated but it will get better. From what I have read, a newborn should not be up for more than 2 hours without getting overtired, so if your LO is up for that long she is probably trying to sooth herself. My LO also cluster feeds for an hour plus around 8 pm, but this is after being on daytime nap hours. I would try to figure out a way to get her back to sleep.

Maybe you should unswaddle her, nurse an hour or so (feeling confident that she has eaten enough by the feel of your breast), then put her in a swing to soothe her back to sleep or stand and rock her a bit, it seems it is more getting her back to sleep from being overtired then because she wants to be up. You might find that a pacifier (soother) will help your sanity, my LO doesn't like it too much but sometimes it works. I hope everything works out well.

PS Please don't keep her up all day so she can sleep through the night, she needs her sleep throughout the day so she can receive the best physical and mental growth.