Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it Reflux???please help!

Default is it Reflux???please help!

My almost 6 week old daughter has been throwing up 2 or 3 times daily for the last week. She is also fussy, doesnt cry but she makes noises like she is in disconfort. I suspended diary products 2 days ago but i wanted to come here and hear your opinion since my relatives now are trying to tell me i should give her formula. I also noticed that baby is doing clicking noises and she doesnt nurse for more than 3-5 mins, she gags, chockes and when she is not nursing she looks like she is gonna vomit, like she has something coming up. I try to burp her well, put her in upright position to sleep and nurse in one side at the time but she prefers one , she wants to nurse very often. is it reflux?allergies? OALD??please help

Default Re: is it Reflux???please help!

My son had relux and he throws up about 10 a day, projectile. ot just a normal spit up. He cries for hours on end starting about 5pm to 12pm for about 5 months this happened only to find out it was dairy, egg and peanut allergies. Once I changed my diet, he changed. It takes 2-3 weeks to get everything out of your system, so 2-3 days your not going to see a difference if it is a true intolerance.

I only lasted til he was 8 months old and I could'nt stick to the diet so decided to FF him (Nutramigen 25.00 a can ) BF is always best I think but you can only do what you can do.

I wish I was more help but these ladies might be able to help more and babycenter.com community discussion boards has one for this specif topic...THAT SAVED ME for menu ideas and so forth.....By the way my second child has reflux too and I immd put him on Prevacid and it worked amazing. I did not give my first child that option since my ped said no, but I went over him this time so my baby would not have to suffer.

Good Luck

The above post is right, it can take weeks to get out of both of your systems completely. You can however see immediate results but the long term comes later, the clicking sound sounds like a bad latch and the choking sounds like dc is struggling with the let down? My ds did that ( choking ) until he was able to learn how to control the milk. I would be patient with the spitting up, give it a couple of days and see what happens. You might want to nip into the doctor's office for a weight check or maybe talk about a trial run on a reflux medicine just to see if it will make a difference. Blessings!

My baby had reflux, we found out at 3 weeks and he was over it at 7 weeks. He did throw up some, but mostly just spit up a lot, you could hear the acid bubbling in his throat and him swallowing it back down, you could also smell it on his breath, he had colic symptoms as well, our doctor had us put him on zantac, which is not covered by most insurances, but well worth the money, he was in so much pain! She also had me express milk and add just a tiny bit of rice cereal to it in the evenings when he was the worst. My doctor said that reflux has nothing to do with what you eat, changing your diet is not going to cure it, she said he would grow out of it, and so he did. Reflux is incredibly painful and a serious medical condition, my baby had stopped sleeping, was eating less and was getting sick, I think you should get proffesional medical attention for your baby.

how are the babies diapars?
    and weight gain?

lots of babies are fussy when they have a growth spurt. do you have a lll group near you? Call a leader and get some support. If the baby does have alergies or other problems your milk is going to be best for his little tummy!
    Have you tried a sling, It realy does work with colicy babies, only your doctor would be able to tell you if the baby had refulx. The more you carry them the less they cry.

thanks u very much for the info. i'll keep trying and be patient.

My DD did the same things! I had an overactive letdown on the right side so that was a problem but even when I fed her on the left she would cry and grunt, hiccup, spit up etc... Does your DD arch back after earting - that's a good sign of reflux. I'd go to a dr & have her checked. She's on zantac now & much better now that we kept her on it consistently. My dr also said didn't matter what I ate, every baby has reflux, some just worse than others.

y son would do the same thing as yours. Throw up or look like he was gagging. He was put on zantac as well when he was about 6-8 weeks old and had to continue it until he was 10 months. The Zantac doesn't treat the spitting up but the fussiness. He would still spit up several times a day, but wasn't as fussy.