Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, twins 6 weeks premature

Default Please help, twins 6 weeks premature

I need help! long story, but I'm hoping someone can help!

I had my twins October 9, they were 6 weeks premature. Ryker was 5 lb 12 oz and Ronin was 4 lbs 11 oz.

I immediately asked for a pump and also tried to nurse them. Ryker nursed very well but Ronin had trouble latching..Then they both started losing weight at a fast rate. The pedi--who is NOT very supportive of bf'ing at all..I explained to her that I'd like to BF, because I felt that this was better for them right now. She went on this tirade about her daughter is smart and healthy and she was FF'ed..That really put me off.

She put them on 24 cal preemie formula. I would nurse and then they'd get the formula. They STILL lost weight..

So, the o/c Dr came in that weekend (who was MUCH more supportive of bf'ing) and had them on a 3 hour schedule--meaning that the MOST they could go without food is 3 hours, but still feed them on demand. So, I had to give them EBM with a fortifier. She also said for me to nurse them once a day.

Ryker has no problems going back and forth. Ronin still has trouble nursing. It depends on the day, some days he'll nurse really well and other days, he won't nurse at all..

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get Ronin to nurse? Anyone had the same experience and eventually got their preemie to nurse?

Default Re: Please help, twins 6 weeks premature

WOW, congrats on your twins, great birthweights BTW!!!! My daughter was 6 weeks premature and weighed 5 lbs 8 oz. They did not even let me attempt to nurse her until like day 7 or 8 (I don't remember now) and she was on the 24 cal. formula every 3 hours with what I could produce (colustrom) mixed into it (my milk didn't come in until after she started nursing, the pump I guess wouldn't do it for me). She also dropped about a pound and we took her home at 5 lbs. Once they allowed me to nurse, it was once a day and I had the help of a Occupational Thearpist there with me each day. She was great, she showed me how to position her, helped with latching on (which I had to use a nipple shield/guard due to I have flat nipples) and everything. Who has been there to help you with latching on & nursing, or has anyone worked with you (other than the nurses)?

I see that you are in the DFW area, I'm in Keller, north of Fort Worth. What hossy are your little ones at? I had Madeline at Arlington Memorial and they have a great OT (and Neonatle Doctor) that works in the NICU there. I also know a few people at Cook Children's Hospital in Fort Worth. I think my LLL Leader is a LC at Baylor (not sure which one) also if you happen to be there.
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; October 25th, 2006 at 12:03 PM.

Hey Marcie!

No one else has really helped me besides the nurses..I was at Baylor Waxahachie, and there isn't even an LC there. The nurses were SUPER supportive. I didn't realize that an OT could help!

I'm in MIdlothian, which is about 45 min from Keller I believe?

I'm just not sure where to go since we're home now, and we work on nursing every day. Some days he latches on, other days he can't.

Quote Originally Posted by kalynnsmom View Post
    Hey Marcie!

No one else has really helped me besides the nurses..I was at Baylor Waxahachie, and there isn't even an LC there. The nurses were SUPER supportive. I didn't realize that an OT could help!

I'm in MIdlothian, which is about 45 min from Keller I believe?

I'm just not sure where to go since we're home now, and we work on nursing every day. Some days he latches on, other days he can't.
    I think so.....is there a LLL Leader near you that could help you out? I just looked and don't really know what is near Midlothian. Here is a list of the ones that are in the Dallas Area http://www.lllusa.org/web/DallasTX.html or call Dallas County Referral Line 972-669-5714

You may be able to call the NICU and see if the OT will work with you outside of the NICU or know someone that can help out.

Madeline wouldn't latch on without a nipple guard/shield, I also have flat nipples, so that really helped her to latch on. I know you can get them online and at Babies "R" Us. You might need consult someone on what size to use, I have to use the extra small due to I have what I call "boy nipples" (Skinny, almost not even there).

Thanks Marcie! I contacted someone from LLL in Arlington. Hopefully they'll contact me soon!

I have a nipple shield and sometimes, he'll latch on with that, other times he won't.

Thanks Marcie! I contacted someone from LLL in Arlington. Hopefully they'll contact me soon!

I have a nipple shield and sometimes, he'll latch on with that, other times he won't.
    My sister goes to the Night Mettings in Arlington and love the leader there, I think her name is Rachael, she just had a baby also. I don't really know of any other moms around that area. The LLL Leader I have also breastfed premature twins if you need some support from someone that has been there and done that (I bow down to her, I think it is totally awsome, I think they are 4 or 5 now), her name is Shannon and does the Bedford Day meetings.
    Good Luck!!!! (If you would like Shannon's number, I can PM it to you)

Have you been using a nursing supplementer on the days when he does not want to nurse?

The nursing supplementer is strongly encouraged over other means of supplementing, such as bottles, eye-droppers or syringes. It is important to make sure that the baby is being adequately fed, that nursing is a pleasant experience for you and baby rather than an ordeal, that as much sucking as possible be done at the breast, and that the device employed not pose a threat to the baby in any way. The only devices that meet all of these criteria are nursing supplementers.

Look up the Medela Supplemental Nursing System!
    Maria--mom of preemie twins born at 36 weeks, exclusively breast fed from day 1!

My twins weren't premies...(38 wks and both over 6 lbs) But just wanted to say KUDOS to you moms who are sticking with BFing the precious little babes! My support is here if you need it!

I agree with pp...BF as MUCH as possible...even if just for 2 minutes! Don't give up it can only improve with your perservearance...(there I go again with my spelling...lol)

Sorry I haven't updated!

We're still working on it..It's so hit and miss, sometimes he will and sometimes he won't. Someone from LLL contacted me so I will be attending a meeting soon.

cuatesmom-OH, I didn't think of that! Will that help when he won't latch?

Hunoosh, thank you so much. I need all the support I can get.

Sorry I haven't updated!

We're still working on it..It's so hit and miss, sometimes he will and sometimes he won't. Someone from LLL contacted me so I will be attending a meeting soon.

cuatesmom-OH, I didn't think of that! Will that help when he won't latch?

Hunoosh, thank you so much. I need all the support I can get.
    I'm glad you made contace with a LLL leader!!!! If you need any additional support, feel free to contact me anytime by PM or on here. (I'm not a LLL Leader or a LC, but I have been there with problems to latch and preemies....plus, it always helps to have people on your side, cheering you on!!!!)