Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems breastfeeding my 8 month old

Default Problems breastfeeding my 8 month old

Hi Everyone,
    I am in a bit of a confused mess. I had every intention of bfing my baby for more than a year, but after 6 months of completed nursing, when I started her on solids she gradually lost interest in the nursing. She was nursing less and less and was not taking a bottle to make up, so her weight gain was very small. I was so concerned that I coaxed her into taking some formula and then the nursing stopped completely. Even if she latches on, she does not really pull to get anything. My milk of course is going away and I am really sad now. I also had to start taking birth control pills recently for some ovarian cysts and I was so worried that they would not be good for her, that I really did not push the nursing when she was letting go of it. After about 2 to 3 weeks of no nursing, I am feeling like I did something wrong. What should I do? I am very confused. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Default Re: Problems breastfeeding my 8 month old

Welcome! I'm sorry you've hit a bump in the road with nursing. You may be able to get your LO back to the breast using the tips in this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html And you should be able to improve your supply by doing the following:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC.
    - Nurse as often as possible. If you're not co-sleeping, you may want to start, since many babies become all-night feeders when the breast is right there.
    - Pump frequently using a high-quality pump. Don't be cheap and try to get the job done with a manual pump or low-end electric! I suggest pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, for at least 10 minutes per side. This link covers increasing while pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    - Supplements: fenugreek, blessed thistle, and ordinary oatmeal are all good for increasing supply.
    - Prescription drugs: as a last resort, Reglan and Domperidone are used off-label to increase milk supply. Both have additional side effects and are not for all moms, so discuss their use with your midwife or doctor before taking either one.

One last thing: the birth control pills. The combination pill is generally not recommended for use by breastfeeding mothers because it often has a very negative impact on milk supply. If you have to continue taking the pills to treat the cysts, well, so be it. You can still increase supply by taking the steps listed above, though you might not see as fast or as complete an increase as you might wish. However, if there is an alternative treatment, or if there is a way to delay treatment until you have your supply issues resolved, it may be worthwhile to explore those options.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Problems breastfeeding my 8 month old

Thanks so much for your reply. It was very helpful and encouraging. I will definitely try your suggestions.