Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sharp shooting pains

Default Sharp shooting pains

I was lucky to have never had to deal with the pain of damaged nipples due to bad latch... I just had a couple blisters in the first couple days that dried up, fell off, and never had any nipple pain again. I am grateful for that!

But now I have sharp, shooting pains that randomly and suddenly course through my breasts. It's not necessarily during letdown, during feeedings, or in between, but just whenever. They range from just the nipple all the way up to my chest and armpits, in both breasts.

Could this be pain just from a milk adjustment or something of the like? Or should I be considering infection?

Default Re: Sharp shooting pains

I had major sharp, shooting pains due to thrush, is it possible that you are having this problem? Do you have sore, bright pink nipples? Does your LO have any white patches inside of her mouth or a white tongue more than 30 min or so after drinking milk? These symptoms don't all have to be present-sometimes none of them are.

Here is a link about thrush- I know it says nipple pain on the title, but it also applies to shooting pains inside of your breast. I hope this isn't what you have- it's a pain to treat but isn't the worst thing you can have to deal with.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html

Not sure if this helps you but I'm sorry you're having pain. Maybe another mom might have a different suggestion, too.

HTH!

Thank you, I did ntoice the milky tongue on DD, I had the pediatrician examine it and she said it is not thrush. My nipples are not sore, but the tips do become pretty red right after feedings... I don't know if that is to be expected naturally or not.

Thanks for the advice, definately worth watching out for!

I had the exact same pains that you are describing. My doctor diagnosed me with mastitis. I didn't have a fever (another symptom) but I had been feeling fluish. She gave me a 7 day treatment of antibiotics (safe while BF). The pain went away w/i 24 hours, but I had to finish the full treatment.

HTH

When I had shooting pains it was thrush. I didn't have a lot of outside symptoms, it's not always obvious on your nipple.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I certainly hope it's not thrush. Should i go get a family doctor now, or is my OB/GYN properly educated to diagnose it?

I would go to your family doctor...if you don't have one, maybe you can go to a walk-in clinic.

It's easier for your Ped to diagnose than your Ob/Gyn, from what I understand. Your symptoms aren't usually as noticable to the eye as a baby's. If you don't see anything on her (like cottage cheese on your DD's cheeks) your Ped may say again that he/she doesn't see anything. But better to check with them again than keep having pain.

i agree with MomOfAaron...your ped should be ablet diagnose your LO...but your OB or primary care physician should be able to diagnose you according to your symptoms. i had sharp, shooting pains too. i saw a midwife because my OB was out of the office that day, and she didn't think it was thrush/yeast infection because my nipples/breasts look fine...but she still gave me a prescription for diflucan, just in case. i filled the prescription and most of the pain went away. my dd was on 3 rounds of nystatin...now she's on her first round of infant diflucan and i'm on my second round of diflucan. i hope this is the end of it!

you're not alone...good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Sorry you are/were going through this pain...I know how you feel.
    I don't know if you are still having the problem but I had the same thing. I had a sharp shooting pain when my LO would first latch on to my right breast. It was awful! It would shoot all the way down my arm, and it made me cry almost evry time. I went to see the nurses at the berthing center where I had my son and they told me to apply a mixture of Lanolin cream, neosporin, and monistat cream (believe it or not) after every time I nursed. You don't have to wipe it off - it is safe for baby. It worked great, the pain went away within a few days. Hope this helps. Good luck.