Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation - am I feeding baby too much wholegrains?

Default Constipation - am I feeding baby too much wholegrains?

My baby is just turning 7 months old. I started him on solids a few weeks ago. I've been giving him oatmeal or millet for breakfast pureed with fruits such as plum, peach, pear or apple....I haven't been giving him lunch as I am just breastfeeding him and for dinner I have been giving him pureed fruit or squash. However, he has been getting terrible constipation, green or mucusy poos. How can I fix this. Is it ok to stop giving him the wholegrains for breakfast, am I feeding him too much of them. Also, can I stop the pureeing food method and switch to baby led weaning? I am so confused!

Default Re: Constipation - am I feeding baby too much wholegrains?

i don't think you are giving him too much whole grain as long as they get more fruit and veggies it should be fine one thing i found really helps their poop is yogurt ! make sure it is whole yogurt (full fat) you can find some in the bio section wich is made for baby i like the stonyfield one they have lots of flavors as well .... yogurt contain good bacteria who helps the digestive track to work better and nourrish it !
    as of baby led it is your choice basically you started with puree wich is no big deal you can start giving finger food whenever you are ready and don't forget to give lots of iron food ! all green veggies contain iron , meat and i found that cream of wheat is really high in iron as well hope this helps you !
    mom of 10 month old little boy breastfed till 7 1/2 month
    medical technicien for 6 years

and been doing BLS since he was 6 month

with the PP. You can skip cereals completely, if you wish.

When you say your baby is getting constipated, can you tell us exactly what that means to you? A lot of moms mistake a normal change in stooling patterns for constipation. Signs that this actually is constipation include:
    - Baby goes a week or more without pooping
    - Poop is pellet-like or excessively firm- if you pick up a poopy diaper the poop will roll or peel right off
    - Baby is uncomfortable when pooping- straining, crying, turning red
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP. You can skip cereals completely, if you wish.

When you say your baby is getting constipated, can you tell us exactly what that means to you? A lot of moms mistake a normal change in stooling patterns for constipation. Signs that this actually is constipation include:
    - Baby goes a week or more without pooping
    - Poop is pellet-like or excessively firm- if you pick up a poopy diaper the poop will roll or peel right off
    - Baby is uncomfortable when pooping- straining, crying, turning red
    mommal,

Yes...he doens't really go a week without pooping...just a few days but his poop is hard and pellet like. It is excessivly firm and if I picked up his poopy diaper the poop would roll or peel right off. Also he is very uncomfortable when pooping. He does strain , cry and he turns bright red. It breaks my heart as I feel to blame for not feeding him the right balance of food. :-(

Should I be feeding him more fruits or vegetables...could that be the reason he is constipated. I feel like adding a solid lunch and hoping that helps...
    Last edited by @llli*indigogirl1976; February 17th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Does your baby get any formula supplements?

Breastmilk will get things moving. I didn't give dd two meals until she was about 9 months?

I would try to up the BM. Is the green mucousy poops new?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

We are in your shoes. He is 7.5 month old. He poops every day, once or twice, but they are like paletts, roll off the diaper. I thought because of not enough fluid. I would like to find it out too. I can also see my DS working on it, turning red, but he didn`t seem to be in pain. It has to be a huge change to digest all these new food after brestmilk only, that was soo easy on there tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Does your baby get any formula supplements?

Breastmilk will get things moving. I didn't give dd two meals until she was about 9 months?

I would try to up the BM. Is the green mucousy poops new?
    yoginimama...nope...he gets no formula at all and he nurses plenty! Yesterday all I gave him was a pureed pear and breastmilk the rest of the time and yet again this morning it was another muscousy green pellet poop! I'm hoping he has a proper poop today. Fingers crossed. The poops are new only since I have started him on solids and one week he will be fine and the next constipated. I thought I had corrected the problem as last week I gave him prune juice and upped his water intake a little but this week he is constpated again and I have been giving him the solids I gave him last week...its so frustrating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zol.mum View Post
    We are in your shoes. He is 7.5 month old. He poops every day, once or twice, but they are like paletts, roll off the diaper. I thought because of not enough fluid. I would like to find it out too. I can also see my DS working on it, turning red, but he didn`t seem to be in pain. It has to be a huge change to digest all these new food after brestmilk only, that was soo easy on there tummy.
    zol...I thought with me it was not enough fluid..so I upped his water intake and gave him a little prune juice...but the constipation is back! I agree it has to be hard for them to digest all these new food after breastmilk only. I'm hoping it will start evening out soon. Its good to know i'm not the only one having these problems!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*indigogirl1976 View Post
    Yes...he doens't really go a week without pooping...just a few days but his poop is hard and pellet like. It is excessivly firm and if I picked up his poopy diaper the poop would roll or peel right off. Also he is very uncomfortable when pooping. He does strain , cry and he turns bright red. It breaks my heart as I feel to blame for not feeding him the right balance of food. :-(

Should I be feeding him more fruits or vegetables...could that be the reason he is constipated. I feel like adding a solid lunch and hoping that helps...
    Oh, bummer, that definitely sound like constipation. Ugh. BTDT and it's no fun.

Okay, so I wouldn't add in more solids to his diet. If anything, I'd cut them back, since it's solids that are probably responsible for causing his issue and at this age he doesn't actually need solids. I would cut the cereal out completely, and focus on offering fruits and veggies only. Potent constipation fighters include the "P" fruits- prunes, plums, peaches, pears. I also suggest trying blueberries and cherries, both of which are great finger foods if you dice them up to about the size of a cheerio.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Oh, bummer, that definitely sound like constipation. Ugh. BTDT and it's no fun.

Okay, so I wouldn't add in more solids to his diet. If anything, I'd cut them back, since it's solids that are probably responsible for causing his issue and at this age he doesn't actually need solids. I would cut the cereal out completely, and focus on offering fruits and veggies only. Potent constipation fighters include the "P" fruits- prunes, plums, peaches, pears. I also suggest trying blueberries and cherries, both of which are great finger foods if you dice them up to about the size of a cheerio.
    Mommal....that sounds like good advice. I will try that. I really believe its the breakfast mix of whole grains that is causing it. One last question...when should I start reintroducing wholegrains?