Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding police women

Default Breastfeeding police women

Are there any law enforcement breastfeeders out there??? I am not back to work yet and like many mothers out there I am not looking foward to going back. I am worried that my having to pump my breast at least twice at work may not be embraced by my employer. There are no lounges for us women. My job is out on the streets. There is nothing contractually written for us child bearing women. Any ideas out there on how I should approach my employer about pumping. Also, how can I ensure that I will be able to pump twice while at work? Any suggestions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, mother of Gabriella, 9 weeks old.

Default Re: Breastfeeding police women

I know that other Leaders have helped women in law enforcement, I'm just not sure if there are any here on the board.

Some ideas for you - pump companies make a car adapter, so you can pump in the car. If your vehicle has a car adapter that's not in use, this might be an option.

Remind your employer that pumping isn't something you choose to do (like smoking), it's something that you have to do. If you don't empty your breasts during the day, you run the risk of infections, and consequently, time off work, visits to the dr, etc.

Do you get a meal break? Would you be able to pump then?

Some employees in civilian jobs approach pumping like other employees approach smoking breaks. It's not often, I'll still be available via phone (cell phone?), and I won't take long. Plus, this is something I'm doing to keep people healthy (you and your baby), not make people ill. However, if there are no smokers where you work, this argument won't work.

I'll dig through some email archives to see what I can come up with for you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Shannon - how does one manage to pump in the car? I've breastfed my DS in the car...but with the breastshields and all that gear, how do I keep from exposing myself?? Do I just keep a big blanket in the car? I seem to think I'll need about 4 arms to pull this off discreetly! TIA!

Thank you so much Shannon for the advice. I am hopeing to make some good arugments to my employer. I am also hopeing that since we are approaching the winter season(Albany, NY) our call volume will be significantly low which will allow me to pump without any problems. Thank you again. Scouch

Mom2Gabe - you can pump in the car by wearing a loose shirt that will lift up for you to attach the horns to your breasts, then pull it down so it covers most of the horns. You'll have tubes coming out from under your shirt!

I've also seen it done where the mother rolls down the windows slightly, hangs a blanket, then rolls the windows up so the blanket stays up. Then, put the sun shields over the windshield. Privacy!

For the record, I'm not talking about pumping while driving down the road! Just while sitting parked in a parking lot, maybe with the car on for warmth, and the radio going for entertainment. Could also prop a magazine up on the steering wheel, I'd think.

scouch, I'll be digging through emails for you during quiet time this afternoon! Thank you for your patience!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Got it! I like the idea of combining the blankets and sun shields.
    Thank you, Shannon!

I found an article about working mothers. If you click on the link on the left to read comments about it, then read #67 for a story of a police officer, and #97 for a suggestion of what to do. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/01/he...7dAEX2D2zunD5g
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Comment from another Leader "I worked with a military police officer who used "bathroom breaks" to hand express. She also used a manual pump tucked in her uniform to collect milk. She was on duty for 12 hours at a time. She also wore a bullet-proof vest, but could undo it to express. It took her about 5 minutes to collect 4 oz by hand."
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Another comment from a different Leader: "In terms of pumping you are legally allowed so many breaks during a shift. She can do whatever she wants during those breaks including breastfeeding her baby or pumping. There is also a pump called a Whisper Wear that might help."
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

From another Leader... "My best friend’s husband is a police officer in Las Vegas and he said depending upon the size of the department--- there should be some of kind of liaison or personnel department. If it’s a small town like where I live, he says she may need to ask the city or county council to intervene or maybe the city or county personnel department?"
    Shannon
    LLL Leader