Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 bags left :(

Default 2 bags left :(

My baby is 10.5 mos, I am down to just 2 bags of milk in the freezer. I am not pumping enough to send with her to daycare (I pump 3 times in 8-9 hrs at work) and have been supplementing with my freezer supply. She also hasn't gained weight since her 6mo check up, she's at a steady 17lbs. I have been trying to pump extra before going to bed at night(only get an extra 2 oz) hydrating, taking more milk plus capsules and mother's milk tea. I send her to daycare with 1 5oz bottle (for cereal/drink) and 3 4oz bottles. She takes finger foods and snacks in between. She eats dinner and nurses once to go to sleep, then maybe once or twice in the middle of the night. She hasn't had formula since we supplemented her in the hospital after she was born and I hate to have to give it to her now. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 2 bags left :(

Wow, so you're sending her with 19 ounces of milk a day? For 9 hours away from you? Mama, do you think she needs all that? They generally need between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour away from you.

Also, it's possible that she's not gained weight because she's become mobile - my 2 year old hasn't gained weight in about a year, and nobody is worried about that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Wow, so you're sending her with 19 ounces of milk a day? For 9 hours away from you? Mama, do you think she needs all that? They generally need between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour away from you.

Also, it's possible that she's not gained weight because she's become mobile - my 2 year old hasn't gained weight in about a year, and nobody is worried about that.
    My DD didn't gain anything between 9 and 18 months and was perfectly healthy . It was solely because she became mobile and was just burning more calories.

with the PP. 17 lbs at 10.5 months sounds very normal to me. I'm sure your baby has gotten a lot more mobile since she turned six months, and once babies become mobile they tend to drift down the percentiles as they expend their calories on action instead of packing them on as fat.

That being said, this is my go-to link for troubleshooting pumping issues: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

And if you are getting 2oz at an end of the day pump session at 10.5 months, that is actually incredible production. I would agree to say send less milk for drinking, and you could ditch the cereal. A fruit or veggie would be more nutritious than cereal IMO.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I also agree that just the 3 bottles, 4 ounces each should be plenty of milk for a 10.5 month old during a 9 hour day. I think that is exactly what I was sending with my DS to daycare when he was that age. I would also think that you could ditch the cereal and just have her eat fruits/veggies/table foods! But if you do want her to have the cereal, just have them make it with water. Both my kids liked their cereal best when it was just made with water.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try decreasing the amount I send this week, little by little. I do send a sippy cup with straw for her to practice, that they've been pouring a bottle of BM into. I'll tell them to put some juice and water instead. I give her cereal because that's the only thing she'll let us feed her with a spoon. So I mix in things like fruit or yogurt. She will not take pureed foods, just finger foods. Peas, avacado, potato, noodles, bread. I want to make sure she consumes enough calories to maintain her weight.

Sounds like you have a plan; I'd also consider a pregnancy test.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos