Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice --partial breastfeeding frustration

Default Need advice --partial breastfeeding frustration

From about 2 weeks on I have had difficulties breastfeeding my now 4mo old DD due to supply issues. I produce about 2oz per feeding/pumping and she gets the rest in formula (about 6oz total). In the last week she has been very difficult to nurse- fussing, refusing to stay latched long enough to wait for letdown. I have gone through so much trying to increase my supply and I am feeling so frustrated. I am so thankful that I have made it this far since my milk never even came in with my firstborn...but I have found it very difficult to find support for partial Bf. Most people just tell me to pump every 2hrs and everything will work itself out...but I just can't do it again. Is there anyone out there who has struggled with this??

Default Re: Need advice --partial breastfeeding frustration

How do you know that you make two oz per feeding?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well it isjust a guess based on how much she takes during a bottle-only feeding and when she is nursed first. We also do a weight before and after feedings.

Well the weigh feed weigh is more accurate but baby will take varied amounts through the day, just like we eat different amounts based on our level of hunger. Do you want to wean off formula? Her refusal to nurse could be many thing but I suspect it's because she would rather bottle feed as it's much easier. It IS possible to do this mama!

Check these links out this is a step by step how to
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I appreciate your links, they are great advice. I have tried about 3 different occasions to increase my milk supply using these techniques. The problem is (ant it is MY problem) I can not handle the constant crying between feedings when she is so hungry....that after about 6 days of it I can't handle it any more. I have had some success going from 0 breastmilk to some...but now it seems to be dropping off again. I am working full time now, and don't have the freedom to nurse whenever baby is willing, and that makes it just that much harder. I pump every 2-3 hrs at work for 15-20min each time. I usually get between 1-2oz per session. About 3 weeks ago I saw a dramatic drop in supply during pumping where I was only getting about 2oz over the whole day (4 pumping sessions) and I was able to bring it back up to normal (for me) again but it never seems to go past that 2oz mark. I wish I could strictly feed her breast milk but I just don't see how I can do it while working.

I agree that she likes the fast flow of the bottle better, but this is a recent thing. She used to HATE bottles and although she was hungry after nursing would refuse them (formula or expressed milk). My husband is home with her while I am at work and she would at times only take 4oz all day. Now she has switched and prefers bottle over breast (so sad) and that is the source of the problem. When I nurse she sucks for 3 seconds then fusses, then latches back on, sucks for 3 seconds then fusses...and over and over until she is hysterical. I want to at least keep what small amt of nursing I did have, but it feels like it is slipping away from me!!---sorry for rambling on and on....ugh.

What about weaning off formula by way of the first link techniques
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

If you're getting 1-2 oz every time you pump, that's normal output (see this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html). The issue may be in your expectations about how much a baby should be drinking from a bottle... When you say "I produce about 2oz per feeding/pumping and she gets the rest in formula (about 6oz total)" I'm interpreting that to mean that your baby is getting around 8 oz per feeding? Please correct me if I'm wrong! But if I'm right, that's a HUGE amount of fluid for a 4 month-old baby. Even for a strictly formula-fed baby.

You say that the problem is that you "can not handle the constant crying between feedings when she is so hungry." What would happen if you kept her at the breast instead of taking a pause between feedings? Generally, the absolute best way to boost supply is to allow the baby to nurse, and nurse, and nurse and nurse and nurse. And it has the added bonus of keeping the baby's mouth full so that she isn't crying!

If none of the above seems to match your situation, here are some things that may help:
    - Use the slowest flow bottle nipples available
    - Make sure your caregivers know how to feed a breastfed baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    - Try these techniques to get the baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html (The instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are particularly helpful)

I know it's really, really hard to care for a baby and work and combine breast and bottle... Please don't be too hard on yourself.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh boy! this is the story of my life too! My LO is 3 months old. Struggled with supply from the start, bad latch, thrush, pumping every 2 hours, pumping after each feeding, feeding every 1.5 hours, then back to work and using IUD for birthcontrol. eek.

I'm so sick of always hearing to just pump more. It doesn't work. Reglan doesn't work. And I can't deal with nursing for 40 mins every hour or hour and a half in my time off work. My LO finally has what feels like a good latch, but she loves to 1. sleep at the breast or 2. scream and cry for bottles within minutes of laying by the breast.

I can pump about 2 oz at work when we haven't nursed for 3-4 hours. Pumping every 2 hours at work is not acceptable for me ( work in healthcare and am LUCKY to get to pump as often as I do). When I'm home we usually nurse for 30-40 mins then get a 4 oz bottle. Then about 2-4 hours later we do it again, nurse for 30-40 mins and a 4 oz bottle (of formula btw). Up until today we could get away with only 2 or 3 bottles for the day when I'm home all day long, but today it was EVERY FEEDING. I'm totally feeling like a failure right now and questioning why I even bother pumping if she is rarely satisfied. I'm usually pretty engorged first thing in the morning, and that seems to be the only feeding my LO truly seems satisfied with....but she sleeps through the night and that engorgement is probably a product of not BFing for 6-8 hours. If I pump for that first feeding of the day instead of BF I can usually get close to 4 oz.

I know I didn't give any advice, but I hope it helps to know you're not alone. I was sure excited to see that we have problems together! but really...how long should this go on? I'm about ready to just accept that my milk isn't enough and to quit trying so hard-this is stressful! But LO loves to "sleepy nurse" and loves to sleep/eat on me for what seems like hours. And as much as this habit is inconvenient, I love the closeness. OOH, and sorry I wrote a book for you. I was just so excited to see someone with the same problem as me good luck to you!

I can't tell you how thankfull I am for your post. It is good to know I'm not alone! I am still nursing a little,but my little one was hospitalized this past weekend with rsv/bronchiolitis and has not really latched on once since Thursday. I have been pumping every 2hrs except at night and still thee hasn't been any increased in mysupply at all-still 1 to 2oz per pumping. I am frustrated and exhausted, but will keep going because I know she needs breastmilk more than ever now that she is so sick. Thank you for your encouragement, we have to keep going for our babies! By the way, she is home with my husband today while I am at work and she hasn't eaten anything from him in 6hrs...so we may be back in the hospital for dehydration....uh.

awe its so stressfull when baby is sick....