Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 month old co-sleeping and nursing too much through the night

Default 12 month old co-sleeping and nursing too much through the night

Just wondering if there are any other moms out there in my shoes? My baby daughter loves to nurse all through the night, and that's what we do. She used to sleep 6 hours at a stretch, but no longer. We moved overseas and now we co-sleep (before she had a crib beside the bed), and any time she rouses she roots for the nipple until she finds it, sucks a little or a lot and then nods back off to sleep. Typically it's 3-5 times a night, but sometimes even up to 8 times in an 11 hour period. Recently, when she had her first cold, I didn't get more than 30 minutes of sleep at a time for about 4 days. She nurses through the day of course with either me offering or her requesting.

I'm exhausted. I want to soothe her, I don't want her to feel as though I'm not there for her, but I'm starting to wonder if this "easy all night access" is doing more harm than good for me and for her? I want to be there for her, not wanting her to feel alone, yet I'm wearing down.

Any suggestions? Should I try to schedule her night feedings? Should I get her a crib of her own and stop co-sleeping (which I love!)? Could it be something in her solid food diet or in mine? Is the baby whisperer right? Am I the only mom with a 12 month old still up all night??? I'm starting to get so tired and confused...I feel like I still have a newborn! Help!

Warmllly,

One tired plum mama

Default Re: 12 month old co-sleeping and nursing too much through the night

Great post from the PP!

Just want to add that the Baby Whisperer lady is on crack.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Just want to add that the Baby Whisperer lady is on crack.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Wow, thank you so much for caring, offering support and giving me new ideas and inspirations! I'm so grateful! And it's really great to hear from another expat mommy, we have a unique set of circumstances.

We moved to Korea already 5 months ago now, and although I've lived here before (my hubbie's Korean), it's not easy navigating a still relatively unfamiliar country with language and cultural barriers. Did you speak Lithuanian when you moved there? I speak enough Korean to get by day to day, but it's difficult to make new friends and to generally fit into a culture so different. I don't have a lot of time to study language as you know! As for breastfeeding, it's not a public affair here in Korea~ but, Baby Violet and I are good at breastfeeding in the sling with my scarf over her sweet head as we move, so I don't usually get stared at too much. No one here would expect me to be breastfeeding (which is sad), but I am and I always have a satisfied smile on my face with our little, lovely secret

I never thought about Violet's responses to MY stress being a potential reason for her bfing so much through the night! Something about that clicks. We've had a stressful living arrangement with my husband's family, their demands on me and our miscommunications, so we're thankfully moving into our own place soon but not soon enough frankly. Perhaps little Violet is sensing my anxiousness, and even truthfully sometimes my sadness, and is trying to find comfort for herself. Poor little girl~ something about this resonates. I'm going to try changing my perspectives and being calmer for us both. Late night yoga!

As for the great advice and personal experience you've shared, I'm going to try some of it out. Thank you so very, very much! I'm going to try snuggling her whenever she wakes, but nursing maybe 3 times per night at the most. I think she might cry at first, but hopefully she'll feel secure with me there with warm arms to cuddle into. Then, going down to 1 or 2 feedings as the goal for most reasonable nights. I'm going to visit the website you suggested for advice on how to do this.

I'm also going to change our walks from afternoon to morning time as you suggested. I never thought about it, but that's a refreshing way to start the day for her and may help with the "sun-clock."

I hope it's temporary, everything seems to be. Just as one system seems to work she resists it and I try to adapt and change. I feel stretched thin, but now I have some hope in the mix.

Lightllly~ plum momma
    We love our smiling, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, cloth-diaper sporting, co-sleeping, homemade food eatin' precious baby girl!