Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help - Serious seasonal depression and nursing a toddler

Default Need help - Serious seasonal depression and nursing a toddler

I get really depressed during the winter and it lasts until around late May/early June. Last year I went on Zoloft and it helped except it gave me severe insomnia. I was so exhausted I became really emotional and no relaxation techniques in the world were helping me sleep.. I could find no safe sleep aids for nursing moms.. so I stopped my meds.. Now I am back in a depressed state and I NEED to do something about it.

I considered going on Celexa but I'm afraid it would just cause insomnia as well, and then I would have no choice but to go off of it. I need help. There must be either a natural sleep aid or a natural anti-depressant that will help this situation. Does anyone have any answers for me?

ETA: My son will be two on Tuesday and I am not planning on weaning any time soon.
    Last edited by @llli*xandersmama2009; March 5th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Need help - Serious seasonal depression and nursing a toddler

Hi mama, sorry you are going through this.

There is a lot of nursing mother and psychiatric follow-up support in the Pregnancy and Birth forum, and a big section dedicated to post-partum depression where other mums have contributed threads on post-partum psychosis and other illnesses. Even if it's not about SAD, you might medication find info and will find support.

Dr Hale's pharmaceutical guide can also be invaluable. I understand LLL Leaders have copies. Have you contacted a local LLL Leader?

I understand if the effort seems overwhelming that's the depression talking. Good for you for making an account and chiming in here. Just one step at a time and you can cross mountains.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Have you talked to a Dr. about trying light therapy? I've been thinking of looking into it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    Have you talked to a Dr. about trying light therapy? I've been thinking of looking into it myself.
    ^^this helped me immensely when I was living in Portland and developed SAD. And it is completely compatible with bf. Also I would try supplementing with both Vit D and omega 3 fatty acids.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Have you tried getting outside whenever you can? Being outside really helps me, walking, running or whatever.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

and find somebody to talk too...

Try the light therapy if you can. Also try changing your diet if it needs changing and exercising/getting out more. Those are natural things that help me a lot.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I totally agree with the light therapy recommendation!! Even if you weren't nursing, it would be my first recommendation.

- the friendly neighborhood psychiatrist