Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth and weaning story ... Beginning to end...

Default Birth and weaning story ... Beginning to end...

My OB and I were planning a vbac. We had a tentative date set for a c section (41 weeks 4 days) if I didn't go into labour on my own before that. The c-section date was set because the hospital has a policy of no vbac's after 42 weeks. The c-section was scheduled for a Tuesday and because it was right after easter weekend I had to go in on the Thursday before that (March 20) for an ultrasound. We were both optimistic that I would go on my own before tuesday.

I went into the hospital at 10 am for my ultrasound. I didn't even bring my bag that I had packed for the hospital. I assumed I would be home before noon. Not so. When they did the ultrasound the technician told me that my baby was measuring at 36 weeks and was around 5 pounds. He was quickly labelled as "failure to thrive" and they called in the OB that was on call (which happened to be my OB). After many measurements and countless people looking at the screen, they said "we have to get the baby out, he's not growing"... and that was that. I was brought upstairs to the L&D floor and prepped for surgery. C went home to get my hospital bag and pick up ds1 from school. I was by myself. No one even knew I was in the hospital. I couldn't reach my sister and my best friend was sleeping because she had worked a night shift the night before. I felt defeated. I was going to have another c-section and I really didn't want one. While hooked up to the monitors I began to have contractions. I begged the nurse to give me time to go into labour on my own. The response I got was "your doctor has an opening at 4 for a section, if you don't do it now you'll end up having a section tonight with a doctor that you don't know - they are not going to let you labour all through the night"

Fast forward to about 2pm... I'm still having contractions, but they are about 20 minutes apart and not very strong. By this time, everyone knows I'm in the hospital. My sister and bff are there and we are still waiting on C and ds1. We took a few pictures to pass the time....

4:00pm ... C is dressed in scrubs and I'm getting the spinal. I'm nervous but I know that I'll be holding a baby very shortly. Finally my OB walked in and all of a sudden I'm very calm and happy. We are having a baby today I'm talking to my OB as he is performing the surgery and I'm asking him all kinds of questions. As I feel the tugging and pressure, the doc says "he's no five pounder" and they show him to me briefly, but quickly take him a few feet away. Everything is a blur after that point. I remember they laid him on my chest for what seemed like 30 seconds, and then he and C were gone. As the doc was closing up the incision I was asking questions about ds2. He weighed in at 7 pounds 12 ounces and was pink and healthy I felt such relief. I started joking with the hospital staff about ordering fish for supper the next day because it was good friday... asked my ob to give me a tummy tuck while he had everything opened up... maybe it was the meds...

FINALLY I was in the recovery room...

While in the recovery room I watched this tiny perfect baby inch across my chest on his own and latch on for the first time. It took him 25 minutes to get from where I laid him to my breast. He nursed for 20 minutes before I unlatched him and moved him to the other side (where he nursed for another 20 minutes). He nursed about every 1.5 hours that first night. I didn't sleep, I couldn't. I couldn't stop looking at him.

He has never tasted formula.

He nursed every 2 hours around the clock until he was nearly 2. When I started school in September (he was 29 months) he would nurse in the morning, after dinner and before bed... still waking at night sometimes. I tried night weaning but I honestly sucked at it. So I just let it ride. I figured that he would eventually stop on his own. At some point between then and now he cut down to just bedtime - and 3 months ago (33 months old) he started sleeping through the night without nursing. On his own.

He nursed every night until February 16th. He didn't ask after that. I felt sick. I liked the fact that he weaned on his own, but I wish I had known it was his last time nursing because I would have burned that image into my head.

It's as if he knew what I was thinking because the night before last, March 3rd, he asked to nurse before bed I watched him. I will remember it. He asked again last night, but only nursed for about 30 seconds. He didn't ask tonight.

He will be three years old on March 20 and I'm not sure if he will ask to nurse again or not. I will not refuse if he asks, but I will not offer either.

It's been a great ride and I owe so much to the LLLadies here. I found this site when ds2 was 2 weeks old. My goal at that point was to nurse for 6 months.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; March 5th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: Birth and weaning story ... Beginning to end...

Thanks for sharing!

Jenn I needed to read this. Needed to, because I'm sucking at nightweaning Lu and want to just let it ride, but I am resentful.

Really great story and I love the ease with which you handle your boys and this nursing relationship.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Awe!!!

What a sweet journey for your DS!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Jenn tfs, beautiful journey, you're a great mom.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. He is such a cutie!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Jenn, coming back again to say thanks. This thread really helped me last night to just let go and meet Lu's needs and not over analyze things. She slept for about 6 hours before waking up to nurse and slept for another 3 hours after that. I think because I was stressing about my own sleep, I didn't realize that she was doing pretty good. Thank you for your thread. I really needed a reminder that babies know when they're done too and to just relax and let go.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Jenn what a wonderful story. When I realized Silas was weaning because my milk was gone I did the same thing you describe. Everytime he did nurse I watched him and burned the image in my mind. I love your story and someone said up there about the ease you have about nursing and parenting and I couldn't agree more. You are a wonderful mama. Thank you for sharing this.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

TFS. What a beautiful story!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Jenn, coming back again to say thanks. This thread really helped me last night to just let go and meet Lu's needs and not over analyze things. She slept for about 6 hours before waking up to nurse and slept for another 3 hours after that. I think because I was stressing about my own sleep, I didn't realize that she was doing pretty good. Thank you for your thread. I really needed a reminder that babies know when they're done too and to just relax and let go.
    aww thanks Tiff I remember thinking I was doing something wrong because he wouldn't sleep through the night. He was the only 2 year old I knew that was still nursing like 10 times in 24 hours I spent so much time thinking about and attempting to night wean. It was exhausting. And it didn't work. At all. Like you, when I gave up the notion that I was in control of his night-nursing things became so much easier. When he was ready he dropped sessions really quickly.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet