Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cranky 2 month old.

Default Re: Cranky 2 month old.

Have you tried anything to calm down oversupply? Like block feeding? Also, have you tried doing breast compressions while you are nursing to get your baby to eat more while actually on the breast?

What you're describing sounds exactly what happened with my first, somewhere around 7 weeks. She nursed constantly, was very gassy and very unhappy. She had green stools, and you could actually hear the gas rumbling through her poor little system. Once I started block feeding things evened back out, she was happier and her stools returned to a yellow color.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I remember 8 weeks very well!!! My Husband and I were sitting on the bed crying our eyes out from exhaustion and not knowing what to do. DD cried ALL THE TIME. We were so distaught that we called my MIL and she insisted that we bring the baby to her while we got a few hours of cry free time. It helped, BIG time! (So, Grammie will be a huge help! Leave the house if necessary. It is amazing what a few hours can do.) Nana (my MIL) spent those few hours just WORKING the gas out of her...my DD insisted on feeding, feeding, feeding (even from a bottle with my MIL) that my MIL decided to take the feeding from the equation because it was a vicious cycle Instead, she just worked the gas out...burping, massaging, holding, etc. Eventually, my DD feel into a deep sleep. She was exhausted too! Gas for an 8 week old is like having a broken bone for an adult. HORRIBLE!

With all that being said, I came to this forum looking for advice and boy did I find it! Turned out I had OALD and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (which is simply over production), which is indicated by the green, mucus, watery, foamy stool. The gas is caused by baby ingesting way more foremilk which contains lactose, which in high doses causes ANYONE stomach pain/discomfort and gas. This does not mean baby is lactose intolerant...just that it is almost like a lactose overdose (which is not life threatening in any way! Just makes everyone involved miserable...). The over production can be resolved by blockfeeding. This was the exact same site I used to understand the concept. Basically it means to feed on one side two seperate feedings in a row (i.e. left at 2 pm, left at 4 pm, right at 6 pm, right at 8 pm...of course this is if baby still nurses around every two hours). NOTE: You can pump the other side ever so slightly to take away the discomfort that comes with engourgement but I caution that you LIMIT the amount you pump or else you will signal to your body to produce more milk. By blockfeeding, you are telling the un-used side to stop producing as much milk. Now, if you feel in a few days that this is not really helping, you can add a third session to the same side before switching to the other side for three more feedings. It can take a week or so before you start seeing full results. When baby stops chocking and gasping and diapers return to normal yellow and you are not nearly as engourged, you can discontinue block feeding and resume feeding as normal.

For the immediate relief, try nursing baby in as upright a position as possible. OALD and over supply to a baby is like an adult laying on the ground, being forced to drink from a water hose on full force...you have not choice but to gulp it down. Prop baby up a bit (which is hard to get used to when you are just starting out breastfeeding, but trust me, you will get used to it). Also, pull baby from the breast during a let down (don't be surprised if this upsets baby but remember it is for the better) and let the milk spray on a towel or in a bottle if you would like to save it. You could instead pump before a feeding just enough to stimulate a let down, then start feeding baby. The goal is to keep baby from sucking in a lot of air. Until baby works out the air from previous feedings, you will not see improvement but know within a few feedings you will notice a WORLD of difference. :-) Don't forget to burp as often as possible.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Things WILL get better!!! Look forward to an update!

Thank you so much for the suggestions/recommendations! I started block feeding yesterday. He still had a big ol' green runny diaper today, but I do not expect that to clear up immediately. Of course he is still super fussy and gassy and I am trying my hardest to get it out of him. I did have a friend over today so she could see that I am not crazy and that he really is inconsolable and miserable. My poor guy. My mom suggested I make an appointment with the doctor just to make sure there isn't something else going on in conjunction with what appears to be an OS/OALD issue. We go tomorrow morning and hopefully he is fine.

Should I possibly be doing an elimination diet alongside the block feeding just to see if maybe something I am eating is bothering him? Or should I start with the feedings and then change my diet a little? I have already changed my diet what feels like quite a bit for him. I didn't know how to help when I was dealing with a low supply, so I started eating meat for the first time in years. I already try to avoid dairy, and have even started checking for hidden dairy.

Our trip back to New England cannot come soon enough! I cannot wait to have someone else around to help hold and burp him so I can maybe have some me time!

I think that is a great idea. Taking him to the doc to rule out illness such as an ear infection is a wonderful idea. It also makes your doc aware that you are experiencing these type of issues.

As far as the elimination diet, I would hold off on that until you have given blockfeeding and positional feeding a chance. The reason I say that is if you do both at the same time, you will not truly know which is making things better and then you are stuck with a limited diet for a while with for no reason, potentially.

Good thing your friend was there for you. :-) In the beginning, our family said things like "Oh, this is how it is. You just haven't adjusted to being a parent yet." That is of course, until MIL took care of her for a few hours that one evening...then she got what we meant!

I think you are on the right path...it may take a few weeks to get to a point where you feel like things are going well, but know you WILL get there. :-)

Best of luck and let us know how the doctor's visit and blockfeeding go.

Today at the Dr. we learned that the Zantac is probably contributing to his gas, so it is now resting in peace at the bottom of my trash can.

Unfortunately, the Dr's advice to me was to use a slower flowing nipple... I tried explaining to her that my breasts only come with one kind of nipple, yet she continued to tell me to use a bottle. I made sure to make it clear to her that I prefer to feed him directly from the breast, and unless it is necessary for me to pump and feed him, I intend to keep feeding from the breast. We were sent home with some gas drops. She said that those would get his gas out. I am not sure I am comfortable using them because of the sodium bicarbonate in them. She was not a pediatrician, so she did give me a referral to a ped's doctor so we can have someone who deals with nothing but children check him out. We have our appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work out well, then I intend to call the LC.

Other than that not much has changed. He screamed his head off most of the night, didn't want to nurse because he was in so much pain, and was incredibly gassy as usual.

Just posting support, and good for you on continuing to believe in your body/breast feeding despite the doctor's "recommendations". Doc's can be insensitive when you're vulnerable! Good luck!

We finally got to see a pediatrician! She told me that she hates Zantac because it is 12% alcohol, I realize DS didn't get a huge dose of it, but still, this irks me. She put in a prescription for Prilosec for the reflux. We will pick that up on Monday. She also told me that his cry sounds like a colic cry and that is what is most likely adding to his tummy upset. She also agreed that I could indeed have an OS/OALD that could be contributing as well. She wants to see him again in 2 weeks to check on his progress. His weight gain is looking good. He was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth, 6 lbs 5 oz at his smallest which was around 6 days, and now at just over 10 weeks he is 10 lbs 5 oz!

That's good news on the weight gain! I know colicky cries are so, so hard to bear, but if your LO is growing so well you know things are going right on the most basic level.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We switched to Prilosec from Zantac last weekend and the gassiness became much better! He also pooped easier, with less straining and grunting. Of course this could also just be his system maturing. Babies always keep you guessing. I hope your LO is feeling better soon!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.