Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cranky 2 month old.

Question Cranky 2 month old.

first off, I want to say that though I have never posted before, I read these forums religiously. I do not think I would still be breastfeeding without them.

DS and I struggled from the beginning with bf. We had latch issues, weight gain issues, Raynaud's, reflux, any problem we could have, basically we did!

Everything seemed to be getting better until a few days ago. We went from being able to go 2-3 hours between feedings to him crying constantly to be fed. My problem is, I am not sure he really wants to eat or just wants to pacify himself. He will not take a pacifier, we have tried almost every kind I can find, minus the latex nipple. Any ideas on what may be going on or how to pacify him without putting him on the breast? Thank you so much in advance!

Default Re: Cranky 2 month old.

I should probably also add that we have tried EVERYTHING to try and calm him. I mean everything. Swaddling, bouncing, rocking, putting him in either the Moby or the Ergo, going outside, Colic Calm, Mylicon drops, Gripe Water, music (he especially likes listening to the Glee collections!). we just started him on Zantac for the reflux, and I am trying to make an effort to cut certain foods out of my diet.

I am not giving up, but listening to a screaming baby is starting to get really old. My husband leaves for a month long training exercise Monday and I am in a military town with no friends to call on for help. I am working so hard to get this "fixed" before DH leaves for a deployment of unknown length.

Welcome! So nice to hear that the forums have been useful to you thus far. Hopefully we can continue to help.

What you describe sounds pretty par for the course with a 2 month old. Is the constant nursing going on all day long, or is it happening at certain times during the day, perhaps the late afternoon or evening?

My first thought is that this is probably a growth spurt. But if it doesn't pass in a few days, you might want to take your LO to the doc. It's possible that he has an ear infection or needs his reflux meds adjusted (as the baby grows his dose will probably change!).

Is there any reason why you don't want your LO to use the breast as a pacifier? A paci is generally a poor substitute for nature's original paci: the breast!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the advice! A growth spurt was my husband's first guess also.

I do not mind him using me as a pacifier, but it certainly makes life a little challenging when we have appointments. It is also a little difficult around the house for him to use me since I am still working on mastering breastfeeding while he is in the Moby.

I think I will give him a couple of more days and see how it goes, then if it does not get better call the clinic and have him seen.

I also forgot to mention that for a while he was just out of control fussy at night, which we chalked up to gas/reflux. Now it seems he wants to fuss all day. Quite literally all day!

He only seems content to nurse, but while nursing he is falling asleep and unlatching. If I try to move him or put him down, his fussiness begins again until he is back on the breast.

Hi there. I am also new to llli. My husband is in the army and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have a cranky two month old right now myself. I totally understand you pain and concern. Right now my baby is on hypoallergenic formula because she was breaking out from my breast milk I am still hoping that she will be able to breastfeed in the future. She also won't take a pacifer which would come in handy sometimes when she is having her colic moments. I don't necessarily have an answer to your question but I just wanted to reach out to you as a military wife who feels your pain and is in the same boat as you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*limon2920 View Post
    Hi there. I am also new to llli. My husband is in the army and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have a cranky two month old right now myself. I totally understand you pain and concern. Right now my baby is on hypoallergenic formula because she was breaking out from my breast milk I am still hoping that she will be able to breastfeed in the future. She also won't take a pacifer which would come in handy sometimes when she is having her colic moments. I don't necessarily have an answer to your question but I just wanted to reach out to you as a military wife who feels your pain and is in the same boat as you.

What made you put your baby on hypoallergenic formula? Was she showing any allergy symptoms? I don't think it would be from your breastmilk. Most likely something you've been eating. Have you tried eliminating foods from your diet?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ethans-mommy View Post
    What made you put your baby on hypoallergenic formula? Was she showing any allergy symptoms? I don't think it would be from your breastmilk. Most likely something you've been eating. Have you tried eliminating foods from your diet?
    She broke out with a rash all over her face. I tried, but only eliminated dairy. I am going to try her back on breast milk soon and pay even closer attention to my diet. I breast fed my other two babies with no problems so this is foreign territory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome! So nice to hear that the forums have been useful to you thus far. Hopefully we can continue to help.

What you describe sounds pretty par for the course with a 2 month old. Is the constant nursing going on all day long, or is it happening at certain times during the day, perhaps the late afternoon or evening?

My first thought is that this is probably a growth spurt. But if it doesn't pass in a few days, you might want to take your LO to the doc. It's possible that he has an ear infection or needs his reflux meds adjusted (as the baby grows his dose will probably change!).

Is there any reason why you don't want your LO to use the breast as a pacifier? A paci is generally a poor substitute for nature's original paci: the breast!
    lots of babies will cluster feed (feed every 30 minutes for several hours a day). I'm not sure if your lo is wanting to nurse all day or just anlot at certain times, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I know it can be difficult when you have to be out of the for errands, etc., but this too shall pass .

Is there any way to get him to stay latched on? It seems every time he is due for a real feeding he gets on and basically just comes off all of the time. Other times he just wants to nurse for comfort he sucks some and then sleeps. Is there any way to end this? he is literally on me all day. there is no time of day that is better than another. he is incredibly gassy, uncomfortable and either nursing or crying. is the constant nursing adding to his gas?