Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fustrated w/ my dr

Default Re: Fustrated w/ my dr

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    at that doc.

Weaning causes hormonal upsets and can worsen depression.

There's plenty of safe antidepressants, should you need them, to take while BFing.

Also, throwing meds at it is so silly if you don't do anything else. You also need a good support group, and plain old counseling, in addition to the support, might be enough.

I haven't met anyone who just took meds and the depression went away. But I know people who implemented more support and found a good counselor and didn't need meds.

I was seriously depressed after the birth of my son and finally talked to a doctor. I take zoloft, just 50mg a day, and it has been night and day for me. My depression, anxiety and mood swings are gone and I'm not in any sort of therapy. I know that doesn't work for everyone but it did for me. I was actually suicidal before I got medicated, it was bad. I feel 1000x better now.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

agree with all pp.
    you don't need this sort of attitude when you're already depressed. you need

the breastfeeding network website has info on meds and bf. it also has a meds and bf helpline.
    www.breastfeedingnetwork.org

all the best
    diane x

Yeah, I would be super annoyed with that doc. I agree that weaning would be WAY more stressful/depressing!

http://www.kellymom.com/ppd/index.html

heres another website about ppd meds and breastfeeding.
    Sounds like Zoloft is a winner lol!...
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

not geting any benefits? I never understand that one... Like human milk magically looses all nutritional value, immunological transfer, and the nursing relationship is suddenly not comforting. Sheesh!
    Son #1 Born Winter 2004 (BF/FF out of ignornance, nursed for 3 years)
    Son #2 Born Fall 2009 (EBF thanks to LLL!!!)

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Best book ever: Gabrielle Palmer's "The Politics of Breastfeeding, when breasts are bad for business"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And weaning now- how exactly would that help you? You'd still be mothering the same challenging little toddler, only you'd be doing it without one of your most reliable tools! How would that improve your depression issues?
    The biggest benefit of nursing a toddler, IMO, is how it can turn a cranky child into a happy, pleasant one. That's good for mom's mood too.

Like everyone else has said, it certainly is possible to take anti-depressants while nursing and there are plenty of moms with PPD who do. I also agree with aprilsmagic that a support group and counseling could be a huge help just in themselves.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Have you looking into Cognative Behaviour Therapy? It has done amazing things for my anxiety. Drug free! It doesn't work for everyone, my mom thinks its just plain stupid, but it really helped me. I was depressed while pregnant.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!