Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagging vs. Choking

Default Gagging vs. Choking

My confidence is shaken.

Baby H's main source of nutrition is still yours truly and will be until he's at least one year old (he's 10 months old now). We've experimented with quite a few different purées which he loves but have had a number of gagging/choking incidents in the past few weeks (with not-fully-mashed banana and puffs) which have led to excessive spitup. We had been fine with it until the last few weeks but it's like he's forgotten how to even let puffs dissolve in his mouth without having trouble. It's totally scary when i see him struggling (he's my first, so don't make fun! ) And I start to get anxious when I think about feeding him, but I obviously want to have him get used to chewing and swallowing a little bit.

I guess my questions are...

- how do you tell the difference between gagging and choking?
    - what do you do in each situation?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

Default Re: Gagging vs. Choking

Choking = obstructed airway & can't breathe

Do CPR for choking baby. If you havent taken an infant CPR class I highly recommend it! Look for classes at community centers or similar.

Gagging = dealing with too much food in mouth / food not chewed enough

Can be dramatic. Baby makes lots of noise and may throw up. What do - stay calm, remind baby to chew & give baby a chance to try to figure it out. I'm ready to do baby heimlich if needed but usually baby either figures it out and swallows or spits out / throws up food.

If baby crams too much food in mouth - only give one item at a time.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Can you tell the difference by their reaction though? Or can one lead to the other?

Thanks for the info
    I'm Rhianon.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

I learned that if your baby is COUGHING, he's fine. It's only when he's not coughing, turning blue, not getting air, that you need to worry.

Joe gagged ALL. THE. TIME. Practically gave me a heart attack once a day.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm thinking that he probably just has a really sensitive gag reflex, but it still scares the you-know-what out of me each and EVERY time it happens. What do you do when they gag? Just let them figure it out? Will he grow out of it eventually?

Oh man. The joys of parenting, right?
    I'm Rhianon.

have you taken an child cpr class? that would help you know what to do in an emergancy!

I did a few years ago (I used to be a preschool teacher, so it was mandatory), but I bet it would at least put my mind at ease to take it again. I'm sure I'm a little rusty.

I'm Rhianon.