Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply dropping/can't always feel let down...why won't my baby sleep???

Default Is my supply dropping/can't always feel let down...why won't my baby sleep???

This is our 3rd baby, second that I have been able to nurse of any amount of time. She is just 4 months old and is nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock.

During the night she often will nurse and then wake up an hour later and nurse for a few minutes. Some nights she will wake up 4-5 times and repeat this pattern. This is a new occurrence in the last month. She was only getting up 2 times a night for the first 3 months.

Typically she will only nurse on one side. I try to have her nurse on both sides to fill up more but she really won't.

My breasts rarely feel full. I remember this with our 2nd baby as well. I was full in the beginning but after a few months I never felt full. I also seldom actually feel when let down occurs.

I have no problem nursing her on demand and I enjoy the middle of the night feedings. But not all 5 of them!!!

Is is my supply? How can I tell?

I also just got an IUD and my period for the first time...could either of those be a factor?

Thanks!

Default Re: Is my supply dropping/can't always feel let down...why won't my baby sleep???

Welcome!

Increased night waking is normal. Many babies wake more at night when they begin to teeth, or as they master new developmental milestones. As long as diaper output remains normal, the waking should not be taken as an indicator of low supply. Now is a great time to start making some changes in your baby's sleep routine- I suggest taking a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution for gentle ways to encourage longer and more independent sleep.

Once you've been nursing for a while, it's normal to no longer feel "full." Most moms start out making too much milk, which is nature's way of ensuring that the baby gets fed while she masters the art of breastfeeding. But making extra milk is a waste of energy and puts you at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis, so after a while the body adjusts supply so that it meets demand very precisely, without a lot of extra milk lying around to give you that full feeling. When this adjustment occurs, sensations of letdown may diminish or vanish.

The fact that you recently got your period back may be contributing to some of the increased night-waking and also the decreased fullness. Many moms notice distinct dips in supply around their periods. However, as long as diaper output remains normal, your supply is okay. It may have dipped, causing the baby to nurse more often, but it isn't inadequate.

My only concern would be the IUD. Some moms find that their milk supplies really take a hit when they use hormonal contraception, so if you chose a Mirena IUD, that could be negatively impacting your supply. But again- count diapers. If they are okay, your supply is okay too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Is my supply dropping/can't always feel let down...why won't my baby sleep???

Is it an IUD with hormones? Many moms find their supply drops with hormones. Also, you might experience a dip in your supply right around the time of your cycle.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks ladies!! I will check out that book!!

I did get the Mirena IUD but I was under the assumption that it is progesterone based and therefore has little or not impact on breastfeeding. That is what I was told by my OB and also what I had read in my own research. I also had the Mirena after our last baby at about 8 weeks and was able to nurse him until 10 months. I hope that isn't effecting my supply, I would feel so badly if it was something I had chosen to do

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lexiemery View Post
    I did get the Mirena IUD but I was under the assumption that it is progesterone based and therefore has little or not impact on breastfeeding. That is what I was told by my OB and also what I had read in my own research.
    Unfortunately, many docs don't realize that Mirena can sink supply. It doesn't ALWAYS work that way, and if you nursed your first for 10 months while using Mirena it's probable that your supply wasn't adversely affected by it, or that the effects were small. Of course, our bodies do change over time- so even if Mirena didn't impact you the first time it could do so the second time!

Again, count diapers and you'll have your answer. If you decide that Mirena is to blame for a supply problem, you can always have it pulled. There are plenty of breastfeeding-friendly contraceptive options you can try!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Mommal is right. Many doctors are clueless about breastfeeding, unfortunately.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Why don't you try pumping and see what the output is like. This happened to me with my first when I went on the low dose BC. I didn't figure it out for a week. I stopped taking it and pumped like crazy and brought my milk right back up within another week.

My OB doc seemed very informed about breastfeeding and contraception (lucky for me Kaiser is pro-breastfeeding). We also decided on Mirena because it fit best with my health and lifestyle. She said it may impact breastfeeding because it DOES have hormones, but the does of them is still less than the pill (and she didn't recommend the progesterone only pill because the chance of another pregnancy is pretty high if I can't take it at the same time each day) and we can cross our fingers that Mirena doesn't impact BF as much, however it is is still a risk. Copper IUD increases pain and heavy bleeding in your cycles so that was a no-go too. And the regular BC Pills impact BF greatly. Depo is known to cause irregular cycles and trouble conceiving and it took us 2 years with this baby, didn't wanna mess it up for myself in the future. Anyways...that's what I know about birthcontrol

I got my IUD last Tuesday and didn't notice any difference in my little one's feeding habits until today. But she's three months old and I dunno if it's the IUD, my cycle getting ready to start, a growth spurt, or beginning of teething (since she also started biting her fingers) but she didn't wanna sleep today and constantly wanted to nurse never really seeming satisfied. I told another lady here that my little one got as many bottles today as she does while I'm away at work only I DIDN'T work today! So now I feel like I'm failing because we had a bad day. I guess tomorrow is a new start, right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessepoppins View Post
    I got my IUD last Tuesday and didn't notice any difference in my little one's feeding habits until today. But she's three months old and I dunno if it's the IUD, my cycle getting ready to start, a growth spurt, or beginning of teething (since she also started biting her fingers) but she didn't wanna sleep today and constantly wanted to nurse never really seeming satisfied. I told another lady here that my little one got as many bottles today as she does while I'm away at work only I DIDN'T work today!
    Mama, to me this sounds like the Mirena might be making an impact on your supply. Would you consider removing it? There are plenty of non-hormonal birth control options on the market (condoms, diaphragm, cervical cap, spermicide, fertility awareness method). You don't get to be as spontaneous, but to me that's a worthwhile price to pay for birth control that will not impact your milk supply.

Guess what? I was SUPER excited when I pumped milk for the last two days in a row to find that I pumped 2x as much milk as before! My little Anna baby is ridiculously hungry (daddy says she took 4 of 6 4oz bottles by noon today while I was at work) I'm thinking she is in the middle of a growth spurt and maybe telling us she's ready for alittle rice cereal.

Anyways, I know this isn't the right forum to talk about that, just wanted to share that my milk actually has INCREASED in the last week, that Reglan must have worked and that Mirena didn't actually tank my already low supply.

Thank you SO much for your support!