Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too early for solids???

Default too early for solids???

Hello
    my DD just turned 5 months this week.
    She is sitting in high chair, sipping water, and super interested in our food. When she sits on our lap she will often reach for the plate and will try and grab our food from our hands.
    I've been reviewing the info on baby led weaning... is 5 months too early for this? Should I start with rice cereal?
    Not sure what to do

Default Re: too early for solids???

Signs of readiness for solids:
    - Baby can sit up well without support.
    - Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    - Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    - Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    - Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Based on what you've posted, it sounds like your LO is ready or at least almost ready for solids. If you decide to start, remember that breastmilk is the healthiest thing your baby will ever eat, so you want to maximize her intake of it and not replace it with solids, which are not as nutritionally balanced as breastmilk. So always nurse first and offer solids second, and offer tastes of solids, not full meals. A taste means a teaspoon or two of food at a time, max. And there's no reason to start with rice cereal or cereals in general. They are fortified with vitamins and minerals, and that's good, but aside from that they are pure starch. Many moms prefer to start with veggies and fruits.

If you decide not to start solids until 6 months, you can still allow your LO to share mealtimes by giving her a spoon and a bowl to play with.

ETA: 5 months is not to early for baby-led weaning/baby-led solids. One of my 2nd kid's first foods was a whole peeled apple. She could hold it and taste it and lick it, but not bite dangerous chunks from it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the input!
    I agree that veggies and fruits would be better I bought the brown rice cereal b/c the pediatrician warned me against developing a sweet tooth. But i think "well my breastmilk is sweet isnt it??" Im sure cereal is super bland, I dont know what the appeal would be?!
    Thank you for confirming my suspicions

my son was doing the same thing at 5 month so i started giving him fruits to chew on and most f the time he would play with it more then anything at this point but when he was 5 1/2 month he started to put things in his mouth i then atrted giving him oatmeal or cream of wheat wich is actually a good source of iron you don't have to buy baby cereal you can just use regular cereal and even add a little touch of sweetness to it ... i usually crush some apple and add some cinnamon and my DS loves it ....!
    mom of 10 month old little boy breastfed till 7 1/2 month
    medical technicien for 6 years

and been doing BLS since he was 6 month

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*changa View Post
    Thanks for the input!
    I agree that veggies and fruits would be better I bought the brown rice cereal b/c the pediatrician warned me against developing a sweet tooth. But i think "well my breastmilk is sweet isnt it??" Im sure cereal is super bland, I dont know what the appeal would be?!Thank you for confirming my suspicions
    You got it mama!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*changa View Post
    I bought the brown rice cereal b/c the pediatrician warned me against developing a sweet tooth. But i think "well my breastmilk is sweet isnt it??" Im sure cereal is super bland, I dont know what the appeal would be?!
    Exactly! I think a lot of the advice about first solids is based not on evidence but on "what's always been done" and on very old research that was never reproduced and wasn't that great to begin with.

Cereal is easy to puree, easy to fortify, easy to sterilize, and easy to store. Those were advantages when very early introduction of solids was advocated, when many people had vitamin/mineral-deficient diets, when clean food was in short supply, and when not too many people had access to refrigeration. In addition, cereal is super-bland, and docs thought that babies would be most likely to accept bland foods, because "everyone knows" that everyone likes bland foods, and "everyone knows" that breastmilk is bland... Well, as is often the case, what "everyone knows" is totally wrong!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"