Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm really losing it...

Default Re: I'm really losing it...

We did, but it hasn't been effective bc he hasn't wanted to come to the breast. The shield can be full of milk (either from letdown or SNS) and he still won't suck.

Thanks, though - it may be useful at a later date if we get through this!

I am so happy that you are finally getting some answers that will get you through this. I am very motivated by your last post. Most nursing Mom's (at least it seems that way because you rarely hear of the good) seem to get such bad advice from the peds/docs. Congratulations! You too will see yourself through until the end. :-) Best of Luck!

Ok, today's update. Took DS to see the osteopath. This is a new experience for me, so I hope I explain it well.

Her opinion is that his lip (a little facial palsy), tight mouth, tight jaw, and weak suck are probably all related to some sort of facial nerve thing, maybe getting compressed or something. DS's head presented transverse during pushing and the side of his head was all misshapen after birth (fine now). He had a facial droop for a few minutes after birth that resolved as well, except for the lower lip. So that may be the root of the weak suck. (No one at the hospital even mentioned his lip - even at the NICU - I noticed it but thought it was just cute)

Also, she says that given his weak suck, he's not receptive to the breast right now bc it doesn't fill his tummy. The bottle does. That's why he will let me put my nipple in his mouth after he eats, bc he's not worried about getting fed. Poor guy. He did spend plenty of time at breast before the whole striking debacle - he just wasn't getting anything even though he was trying.

So his mechanism is a bit messed up, and she's trying to loosen his jaw/mouth etc and try to work with his facial nerves on the one side. I hope I explained this accurately - if you have experienced this scenario, let me know.

Doc think we still may be able to get him to BF and she is very supportive of that. But it's not guaranteed. I'm trying not to stress about it. I'm sure stress is not good for him, me, or my milk supply, so I'm trying to let go of my need for it all to work the way I want it to, and just go with the flow. I need to be grateful for the beautiful boy we have and the fact that I can feed him. Heck, 100 yrs ago many of our babies would not thrive the way they do now - or even survive - without pumps, NICUs, etc. It's a double-edged sword to have interventions, but in the end, I want my sweet baby.

Still trying - wish us luck

Wishing you a ton of luck!!!

Did anyone put a name to the facial nerve palsy? My sister had something called Bell's Palsy when she was in her teens. It sounds a lot like what you're describing- one side of her face was numb and droopy. It eventually cleared up completely. One thing that was a concern for her was that her eye on the affected side didn't close well, and she had to close it manually several times a day and use drops in order to make sure the corneal surface didn't get dried out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wink Re: I'm really losing it...

I had a bear of a start myself. My montgomery glands got in the way, she tried latching on them or they got in the way of a good latch. I had no choise but to formula feed ( no one told me of other options, such as pumping and cup feeding; and watching the breastfeeding program on Newborn TV I felt hopeless cuz those moms had perfect bullet nipples.) The LC gave me a dholes and I DID manage to give Luna SoME colstrum. Even one feedings worth is better than none at all. I could get her to feed a little bit but I felt that I HAD to use pillows to prop her up to my breast level.
    When my milk came in I started losing all hope cuz I was SO engorged. I cried every night. We got a pump so I could fix my enforcement and save my supply. I saw a different LC who helped me get more latches, it wasn't perfect but it helped a little. Tho she wouldn't latch for me at home. Cue the dispairing tears cuz I'm alone ( husbands in training out of state) and a growth spurt and me fearing I'm going to hurt her in frustration ( I was blaming HER for not wanting me or a bottle. I developed a trick to get her to latch, by starting her on a nipple, then getting her on my shielded nipple.
    Then I went to the lll meeting. I had no ride, so I walked the 2 miles UP HILL. It took 2 and a half hours and it was freezing ( Luna had 3 blankets on her and an afghan over the stroller)
    It was worth it tho! One of the leaders told me how to sandwich my nipple and I DID IT! Sure it went back a step when she chucked on my oald bur I kept at it. Eventually only the right side needed the shield and now she hates it. She rejects all artificials now ( can be crappy when I'm unavailable) and she even self latches now sometimes!

Font give up hope mama, you will do it eventually!
    Last edited by @llli*sailoryue; March 10th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

No further info on the palsy. It seems to be only his lower lip. It just looks kinda pinched. Nothing going on with eye, eyebrow, etc.

I have a regular ped appt in about a week and will see what she thinks.

Progress? Yesterday LO BF for maybe 10-15 min. Not a great latch, but actual sucking and swallowing! He's done it a couple more times for just a few minutes since then.

I don't want to go backwards! I'm trying to keep it positive and not force him to stay on or try if he's not up to it. I guess I'll just keep offering - I'm trying to do it when he seems calm and possibly receptive, either before or after his bottle depending on his mood.

Wondering where we'll go from here... I think there's still hope! I definitely would have caved ages ago w/o all of your support, as well as my sister-in-law, and LC