Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusive Breastpumping / Oversupply

Default Exclusive Breastpumping / Oversupply

My baby is almost 4 months, 12.5lbs, 2 stool/6 wet diapers. I have been dealing with oversupply for almost 4 months and we decided to exclusively breastpump and feed her through the bottles. I normally pump 5oz bottle (each breast) every 6 hours for 20 minutes. When I put the bottles in the refrigerator, the creamy part of the milk (hindmilk?) is on top and only about 1/16 of the bottle. Is this bad? I thought this is what the baby needs? What can I do to increase the amount of the creamy part without pumping more than 5ounces per breast?

Default Re: Exclusive Breastpumping / Oversupply

I don't think I've ever measured the hindmilk, but I do defer to the health of the baby to know if she is doing well. So, like you mentioned, the number of wet/poop diapers and how well she is growing. I personally don't believe in "fattening" a baby up as long as she is growing well, which it sure sounds like to me, so you should be comfortable with how you are doing already. Have you checked out the Exclusively Pumping area of our forum? There are some very knowledgable mamas there with some great tips to share.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I tried the full drainage/block feeding method to reduce my supply (google it). It worked really well - didn't believe it was possible after months of engorgement with DD#1. I felt we were headed in the same direction with current LO - months of engorgement - so I tried it at about 2 weeks. It worked within 24 hrs.

Not sure if it's appropriate to your situation, but maybe something to read about and consider.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

All breastmilk separates when refrigerated. At least, mine always does. It varies in amount from pumping to pumping, too. Make sure to swirl the bottles to get it all incorporated and ypoure good to go. If my brain is working right today, its the lipase that you're seeing. Some moms have more than others and the more knowledgeable mamas can explain that.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Am I reading correctly that you pump 5 oz and then stop, even if you haven't "emptied" them? I would suggest getting the larger medela bottles and pumping into those instead, however long it takes to stop seeing milk. You could always go to 3 sessions instead of 4 if you are consistently still in oversupply.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

You can't see the lipase. You are seeing the milkfat. And there isn't a ton of it and doesn't have to be.

I also have an OS and am EPing. I don't mind having one, as I can store and donate milk -- and an OS doesn't always last for the duration of nursing -- but if it was a real problem, I would simply not totally empty my breasts at each session. And I might see if going longer between sessions cut supply back a bit.

I just got bigger bottles to pump into but I seem to max out as far as storage capacity at 8 oz.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Susan - thanks for clarifying milkfat vs lipase. My brain wasn't working. And I definitely am glad to have had an oversupply and am and EP mom. I have 2 months' worth of milk stored in my freezer and it had saved me when my supply dipped for various reasons and I barely produced enough to get my boys through the day.

I would definitely invest in bigger bottles or at least get a bunch more. Make sure you are definitely emptying your breasts. You don't want to have clogged ducts, or worse. I have had sessions where I pumped 30oz in 20 minutes -- yes, you read that right. Thank goodness, those days are gone, but my morning session is typically 12 to 15 oz and then varies from 5 to 10 oz per session the rest of the day. I used to get 70 to 80 oz during my severe OS days . . . .
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!