Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone had sucess with Nystatin in treating thrush in NB's mouth?

Default Anyone had sucess with Nystatin in treating thrush in NB's mouth?

I noticed a few white spots in my 3 weeks old son's mouth and my lc prescribed nystatin for him and topical lotrimin on nipples for me. She said that we would start with this and if it doesn't work that we would move on to something stronger. I was just wondering if anyone has had sucess in treating the infant with oral nystatin suspension? I just tasted it and it is really sweet which seems counterproductive when treating yeast?? I had issues with thrush with my first son and ended up weaning prematurely so I just want to make sure that we are doing the right things this time around.
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom

Default Re: Anyone had sucess with Nystatin in treating thrush in NB's mouth?

You'll hear conflicting thoughts on this, I think. Some mamas don't recommend it because (a) it is sugary, like you say, so it might be counterproductive; and (b) it doesn't work that well in any event.

I used nystatin when Joe and I got thrush, and I don't think it did any HARM, because I was finally able to get the thrush under control. But I generally think it was the other things I did that helped more - I did a combination of recommendations from the Jack Newman Candida protocol. In particular, I thought infant probiotics made a big difference for us, check them out (you can get them at a health/natural foods store). Other mamas swear by grapeseed extract. I also thought the lotrimin lotion made a big difference for me. Keep in mind that thrush sometimes gets a little worse before it gets better, but you can beat it! Don't give up!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't think it works. But if you decide to use it then make sure to stick your clean finger or q-tip (be careful!!!) in and rub it into all the nooks and crannys.

I had success with gentian violet
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I think the sweetness is due to an artificial sweetener, which I didn't like giving to someone that age, but I used it for LO and it was fine.

Dr Newman's candida protocol is an excellent recc!
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I'm treating my little one with it right now. It's only been 5 days, and giving it to her 4 times a day with a q-tip seems to be helping a lot. It's gone down tremedously. Granted hers was mild thrush. I'm going to just keep using it, and when the 14 days are up schedule with her pediatrician and see how it looks and I'm going to keep using it for 5 days after if it looks good. After all they gave me all that medicine to use for a reason. I say if it seems to be working for you, keep at it. If not than ditch it and find something better. Good luck treating it with whatever works for you!

Nystatin is in a sugar suspension to make it palatable, which you are right, seems counterproductive in treating yeast. I had thrush numerous times, but my son only one (orally) so for him I used probiotics (after nystatin failed) and for me I used different treatments including GSE, gentian violet, APNO, and fluconazole (I had very severe yeast issues).

Oh, and they have found that candida has become resistant to nystatin as well....so there's also that.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am on day three of the nystatin and am going to stick it out. His thrush seemed very mild so I think this might work. I am also going to ask my lc on Monday if I can start with some infant probiotics. As for me, I am on a no sugar/refined foods diet and am eating only veggies/protein/nuts/a very small amount of healthy carbs(brown rice). I am doing lotrimin 4x/day to my nipples and taking a good probiotic as well as coconut oil so I hope this is enough to get me yeast free in the coming months because it's not easy for me to go without the sugar but if it means I can bf pain free that it is worth giving up!! Thanks again!
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom