Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting daycare and trying to keep up

Default Starting daycare and trying to keep up

My son turns 8 months tomorrow and this was his first week of daycare. I have pumped here and there in the past, usually for specific occasions, nothing very regular. I started pumping regularly a few weeks ago to build up a store of milk, but in one week it's already down to nothing! He only needs two bottles at daycare each day, but I'm pumping 3-4 times a day and only managing to get one feeding. And given the nature of my work, I won't be able to pump every day, or at least not as many times.

If my supply doesn't increase very soon, I am going to have to start giving him formula, which I really hate to do. I'm sort of hoping that he'll soon move to a schedule where he only needs one bottle at daycare, so that I'll be able to keep up, but I think he's still young for that. Has anyone else had this situation? Do I just need to give myself more time for my supply to increase? Should I forgive myself for giving him one feeding of formula a day?

Default Re: Starting daycare and trying to keep up

have you thought about feeding only solids at day care and nursing more often when your togther?
    Does he sleep all night?

I guess I should change that to more solids and not only solids that more what I ment...
    Last edited by @llli*andrea.wolford; March 4th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Forgive yourself for giving formula if that's ultimately what you need to do. I don't like to disagree with the PP, but until a year I think formula is a healthier option than solids (since solids are not as nutritionally complete as breastmilk or formula).

I would definitely try to nurse more often and during the night if possible. Hopefully that would boost your supply enough that you would yield more when pumping. This link is useful when it comes to getting more when pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the forgiveness I could definitely give more solids during the day, I just worry so much about obesity and diabetes, and also I know breastmilk is the best thing for him still. He generally nurses once a night although at this point I think I'm just more of a pacifier and he doesn't really need the feeding (we will work on that when he's better adjusted to daycare - one thing at a time!).

I think in the next couple months it will be safe to move him to nursing just once a day, perhaps that's viable now, just not ideal. On the other hand, even though we have organic formula, it's made with oils and synthetically added nutrients that aren't absorbed into the body as well anyway, so maybe it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other? Also my son doesn't like the taste of formula but maybe if he's hungry enough he will get over it!

Ultimately I'm really hoping that if I keep up with the pumping every day (including weekends where I can), that my supply will go up enough, but there's going to be at least a couple weeks in there with formula.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

heres a good link that might be helpful...

how many times would you say you nurse when you are togther after work?

Oh wow that is a very interesting link. Confirms a lot of what I suspected about formula, and also cereal.

He only nurses twice during the day now - once in the morning, then again in the evening before bedtime. He still goes to bed pretty early so that's all there's time for. I have noticed that since he's been in daycare, that evening feeding is much bigger. Then there's usually another one at night but he barely takes anything from what I can tell.

I think that within a month or two, he'll definitely be ready to go down to just one bottle at daycare, and that should resolve most of the problem, then the formula would just be an occasional supplement (or maybe I send him with extra solid food that day).

Thanks for all the replies, I am feeling much better now!

When you are with him all day long, how many times do you nurse? In your previous post you said you only nurse him twice a day, and if that's all he's getting when you are together all day long, that is not enough nursing for an 8 month old baby.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

What kind of pump do you have? Some pumps are very definitely better than others. Perhaps a different or more effective pump might help you pump more and keep your supply up?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When we're together all day, he nurses four times. The bottles he gets at daycare are direct replacements for that, so his routine stays essentially the same.

My pump was billed as a sort of "medium" pump: not designed for hardcore pumping for moms going right back to work, but still easy/effective. When I got it, I was about 6 months away from needing to pump regularly for daycare. It's electric, does both breasts at once, and has adjustable speed/suction dials.

Some of those type of pumps are not good. I was given one once, and it rapidly tanked my ability to pump. I still had milk when I was with baby, but pumping... I couldn't get enough.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!