0 0%
  • Increase with side affects

0 0%
  • Yes it worked

3 75.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE>>FEELING LIKE A FAILURE GROWTH OFF Sorry long help

Default Re: HELP PLEASE>>FEELING LIKE A FAILURE GROWTH OFF Sorry long help

Thanks for all the comments. I know I have told my husband about the water, Im not sure why the older ones feel the need that babies should have some and I have read to him where they get all they need from breastmilk. He said he wouldnt be doing it again but since "mother suggested it" he thought hey since him and his siblings were fine she must have been right.

Oh he has grown But his weight and height are off oon his chart? I am sorry They said his growth is off? It scared the lights outta me. But he has grown some. He was 10.1 at the end of december and He is now 11 pounds 9.1 ounces

His height is now 23.75 inches, where in the end of december the 30 it was 23 inces.

They say that is off of his curve and want to monitor. WHich again scared me because I thought that I am failing to feed him enough.

He does eat about every two hours, Some times it is sooner some times its is longer. Its generally longer if he is down sleeping becuase of a car ride or he was snuggled up when he went to nap.

He eats atleast 8 times, I am not sure of the exact amount some because sometimes at night he wakes up several times to eat and we are both still a bit asleep. Since he woke this morning "and is up for the day" he has eaten 3 times, and about 2 or three late at in the night.

I pump about two ounces at a time when I am away from him. the morning pump at 9 or 10 is usually about 2 oz then the two noon ones range between 2 and 3 oz. Which I was told should be more since he was getting older,

Im now taking reglan. "i stopped taking the fenugreek because they said to see how the reglan does on its own. I took two pills friday and will be taking 3 pills 10mg a day. Im not sure how long it will take to start working.

About an hour after he eats i get about an ounce or less. Sometimes a lil more depending on how the nursing went sometimes hardly a drop becuase he wants to stay attached. Like this morining he wanted to nursein a bit because of his nap..thats generally what he does he uses me as a pacifier "which i dont mind at all" and will nurse himself with comfort to sleep. I let him lay there doing this for about 15 mins till he lols his head away and I know he is truely sleeping.

Sometimes my husband says he will talke the 5 even 6 oz and sometimes he will not. But he says that these amounts last him just as long as the 3-4 oz does?

I hate being away from him and it broke my heart the other day. Pedi also said he didnt agree with who and aap about starting solids at 6 months. I feel I will let my child leade this and hopefully it will be best.

Im afraid and Dont want to have to supplement. THough i do know that this isnt a bad thing and that many people do this but With everythign that has happend from my labor to now. I really want to strictly give bm.

Thank you ladies. Please tell me if this is really off for a 4 month old, Born oct 29th. I know that he should probably weight alot more though. According to so many other people. But I do have to say that the dr did say that he was acting ok. Lauging talking playing and then crying when he got his shots. and trying to stand up and was very alert. That is one thing that amazed the dr was how alert he was like he was trying to figure the dr out and ask ? he wuld look at the dr and gurgle and talk and then stare and laugh. SO I dont know.
    '
    Thank you so much.
    Last edited by @llli*SamuelsMom; March 6th, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: incehs where ounces should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*SamuelsMom View Post

I hate being away from him and it broke my heart the other day. Pedi also said he didnt agree with who and aap about starting solids at 6 months. I feel I will let my child leade this and hopefully it will be best.
    Is there any way you can look for a new Dr? If you believe the WHO and AAP position on solids and he doesn't then there is going to be conflict there (and very likely elsewhere). That conflict is going to make you question yourself and cause more stress than necessary. Ultimately it is up to YOU to decide whether to listen to this pedi or not. I think it will be much easier for you to do what you feel is right if you find a Dr who shares your positions.
    It's like anything else in life. Would you continue to send your kid to a school that teaches values contrary to your own?

On a side note, I don't know how the AAP works... but as a social worker if I were to say that I disagreed with something the order I belonged to stated, I wouldn't be allowed to just do whatever I wanted. They would remove me from the order which would mean that I would not be able to call myself a social worker.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

A pediatrician doesn't agree with the American Academy of PEDIATRICS?!? I hope you find a new doc soon!
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

He and His wife feel that "infants/children" what ever are able to have solids sooner than the six months that the aap recomends.

He said flat out he and his wife didnt agree with the six months thing. He said that I should/could start my son soon on the solids and gave us a hand out. But if i really wanted to then I could wait untill sixmonths. BUT NOT ANY LATER???

I mean seeing as his curve is down I am going to try and feeed him more if he will take it. The only problem I have with that is "isnt breastfeeding supposed to help with childhood obesity and the fact that there has been one time my child stopped drinking abottle. He guzzles anything down in less than 10 mins.

I did change his nipples and I will continue to rotate new ones in so that they are harder for him to suck and this has helped. But What happens if it isnt because hes not getting enough and hes just short startured and skinny?

Then his curve may change because hes eating alot, Will he get fatter but not taller.? how do I know that this was the cause? Im sorry I know i ramble on.. and There are like two places to take your child where I live and they are pretty much connected.

I think you are doing everything right. It does not sound to me like your pediatrician understands how pumping works. I pumped the exact same amount every day when my daughter was 12 months old as I did when she was 3 months old. Breast milk changes in composition - as your baby gets older, you don't need more breast milk like you do with formula. You need the same amount, it's just that the nutrients in the milk change.

Be careful with reglan. I have read that one of the side effects is depression.

Also, just because your son sucks everything down from the bottle doesn't mean he wants all of that. He can suck on your breast in a way that gets very little milk out. He can't do that with a bottle, so if he's just looking for comfort, he's going to still be getting more milk than he wants.

Another thing, you said that you thought breastfeeding is supposed to protect against obesity. It does, but it's the feeding part, not the breast milk itself. When babies feed from the breast they are able to regulate how much they get. They can't do that with the bottle.

Hang in there mama. I think you're doing great.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for ages...

Mama, it sounds like you're not getting such hot advice from your pediatrician. It's okay for a baby to be "off his curve" because it is normal for a baby to wiggle around on his growth curve. It's really rare for a baby to follow the same "ideal" curve all the way through infancy. As long as the baby is growing in some dimension, happy, healthy, meeting his developmental milestones at a normal rate, and producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, he's okay. Remember, the charts are just one tool for evaluating babies. A pediatrician who evaluates a baby based ONLY on the chart is missing a lot of the pieces of the answer to the question "Is this a healthy, normal baby?"

Regarding what you feed your baby in addition to breastmilk, first, no more water. Not only is it empty of nutrition, but too much water can actually pose a health hazard for a breastfed baby. (Too much water and the baby's kidneys can't maintain a proper electrolyte balance. This is called hyponatremia and can make a baby sick, or even be fatal.) Second, when you start solids is not something that you should allow your pediatrician to decide for you. Moms and dads are the ones who recognize signs of readiness for solid foods because they are the ones who are with the baby every day. The pediatrician sees the baby for 20 minutes every couple months. He doesn't know the baby like you do!

Regarding your question about whether or not your baby will get fatter but not taller if he increases his food intake, the answer is "maybe, maybe not." Either way, you shouldn't worry! What a baby looks like as a baby- whether he's short and fat, or tall and skinny, or short and skinny, or tall and fat- isn't much of a predictor of how he'll look as a child or an adult. Many kids who start out covered in chubby rolls quickly become lean once they become mobile. And there are kids who start out skinny who ultimately become chunksters. One thing you don't want to do is to get into a mindset where you're trying to manage your child's growth by altering his intake of healthy foods, especially during infancy!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    On a side note, I don't know how the AAP works... but as a social worker if I were to say that I disagreed with something the order I belonged to stated, I wouldn't be allowed to just do whatever I wanted. They would remove me from the order which would mean that I would not be able to call myself a social worker.
    The AAP and most other medical organizations make recommendations. They don't enforce policies. You can belong to the AAP or ACOG or whatever and not follow any of their guidelines, without any repercussions to your professional life.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also, I think that ounce for ounce breastmilk is the most nutritious thing you can feed your children. Adding in solids at this point would be taking tummy room away from the more nutritious option. So, I would think that for a baby who a pediatrician is worried about being to small, it would be MORE important to keep pushing the breastmilk and hold off on the solids.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I sounds like to me that you are doing everything right. My son never took more than 4 oz. bottles, either, and his intake never increased throughout his first year. Persevere! You are doing the best for your baby! I took Reglan with my DD#2 and it helped me greatly. I only worked part time and was having trouble pumping enough. I was never told it caused depression, however since then I have heard that, but I never had a problem. Good luck with the Reglan!
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

FWIW I took Reglan with DS, got no increase at all and fell into a horrible depression I have not got out of. I do not know if the Reglan caused the depression, I had a lot of risk factors and shouldn't have been prescribed it at all.

with Mommal on the other fronts
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I've been meaning to reply to this thread for ages...

Mama, it sounds like you're not getting such hot advice from your pediatrician. It's okay for a baby to be "off his curve" because it is normal for a baby to wiggle around on his growth curve. It's really rare for a baby to follow the same "ideal" curve all the way through infancy. As long as the baby is growing in some dimension, happy, healthy, meeting his developmental milestones at a normal rate, and producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, he's okay. Remember, the charts are just one tool for evaluating babies. A pediatrician who evaluates a baby based ONLY on the chart is missing a lot of the pieces of the answer to the question "Is this a healthy, normal baby?"

Regarding what you feed your baby in addition to breastmilk, first, no more water. Not only is it empty of nutrition, but too much water can actually pose a health hazard for a breastfed baby. (Too much water and the baby's kidneys can't maintain a proper electrolyte balance. This is called hyponatremia and can make a baby sick, or even be fatal.) Second, when you start solids is not something that you should allow your pediatrician to decide for you. Moms and dads are the ones who recognize signs of readiness for solid foods because they are the ones who are with the baby every day. The pediatrician sees the baby for 20 minutes every couple months. He doesn't know the baby like you do!

Regarding your question about whether or not your baby will get fatter but not taller if he increases his food intake, the answer is "maybe, maybe not." Either way, you shouldn't worry! What a baby looks like as a baby- whether he's short and fat, or tall and skinny, or short and skinny, or tall and fat- isn't much of a predictor of how he'll look as a child or an adult. Many kids who start out covered in chubby rolls quickly become lean once they become mobile. And there are kids who start out skinny who ultimately become chunksters. One thing you don't want to do is to get into a mindset where you're trying to manage your child's growth by altering his intake of healthy foods, especially during infancy!

The AAP and most other medical organizations make recommendations. They don't enforce policies. You can belong to the AAP or ACOG or whatever and not follow any of their guidelines, without any repercussions to your professional life.

I am not trying to stop him from eating by anymeans I want him to grow weather hes gunna be short and chunky or tall and skinny or any other version of himself that he is going to grow into.

BUt I was wondering since the dr was stuck with this scale about how the baby is on the smaller side in weight and height, and he seems to want him to eat more then my ? was

Well wouldnt the weight curve go up if you feed the child more, even if that wasnt a problem.? I dont want to over feed my son during the day when Im away because of this chart. I also dont want to underfeed him. But I honestly wanted to know that if he did eat and eat because he cant stop the bottle well. unlees its a really large bottle he usually sucks it down "though i do have to say since i took all the nipples his gma had at her house and switched with the newborn/ 0-3 month nipples "so that I know what they are, He has been able to stop sooner/meeting his sucking needs and not sucking so much extra down. He generaly wont take mroe than six oz, usually five or four. Then would the dr think that that is the reason he was small is because he needed more food? when it really wasnt? That if that was the problem though would his height also go up???

IM so sorry im screwing this ? up bad.. I am not so good at asking in the way that I am thinking it.