0 0%
  • Increase with side affects

0 0%
  • Yes it worked

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE>>FEELING LIKE A FAILURE GROWTH OFF Sorry long help

Unhappy HELP PLEASE>>FEELING LIKE A FAILURE GROWTH OFF Sorry long help

So we went for Samuels Four month well baby yesterday and he is off of his growth curve in both height and weight.. I though since he seemed to be doing so well. HE plays he coos he laughes he sits with a lil support he sleeps and he wakes he pees,,,though not pooos to often that he was fine.

The dr said that if it hadnt been for having to weight him that he would be pretty much perfect but that his height and weight was off.. That I should be aiming for atleast 31 oz a day..AT LEAST the BARE MINIMUM.. Which contradicts kellymom.com... ANY WAYS

I have been giving him 12 oz at least while im at work. that is 3 4 oz bottles. He seemed fine except when his welling meaning caregiver made the hole bigger and it came to fast for awhile. "though I didnt know all of this. So I tried several things, one was to replace all nipples and try a little more in his bottles and that seemed to work. But he still pretty much took 12 oz or it was a lil more cuz the used water?? Well now hes off and instead of a 6 month check up he has to come back in four weeks. To see if hes off more or what.

The lactation lady happend to be in the hall and heard me ask about breastpumps. and she came in...She got someone to prescribe me Reglan?? and I rented a pump... I had gotten one from our local wic,, a bailey nature three.. BUt i was told the madella was much better so im renting one medela lactina electric plus for one month at 40..I havent seen that much of a diff with this pump.. except a little more hands free and less loud. BUT THEN AGAIN this is the first no baby trail run. So maybe this afternoon i will see and increas.

I was told that i should be producing more than 2 or 3 oz at a time also I thought that was the norm. But was told no you should be pumping more in a session And the dr also told me that by six months or so he wants Samuel eating six oz in a sitting...and That they dont agree with the whole wait till baby is six months either though it wouldnt hurt the baby to wait that long but that five months "next month would be good to start him...

Hes four months about 2 weeks and he ways 11.9 pounds his heads big enough its 16. and a half i do believe. Sorry I was in
    Im cried and cried. I guess he was on a good growth till i stratred work again? not sure and sorry for the vent but Im scared Imma have to supplement him. Because come april i will have to come back to work four days a week. i am every other day at mon wed and friday.

I started taking fenugreek abouta week ago..but wasnt taking enough because i wasnt smelling like it i went from 3 cap 3x a day and went up to about 5..so yesterday i started taking 10 capsules.. But friday Today im supposed to start the reglan.. PLEASE PRAY FOR BABY AND I..

Has anyone one else tried reglan?? did it work for you

Default Re: HELP PLEASE>>FEELING LIKE A FAILURE GROWTH OFF Sorry long help

Please don't feel like a failure. From what you described you are doing all the right things and it is both your caregiver and your pediatrician who are off base. It sounds like they are operating from the viewpoint of a formula-based diet. Does your LO seem satisfied after a feeding from the breast? You said you are having plenty of wets and poos, right? And baby is happy and healthy otherwise? I wouldn't worry about your supply so much if these things are true. It is perfectly normal to only pump a couple ounces at a time, and some moms with otherwise fine supplies would be happy to get that!

12 ounces during a normal 8 hour work day seems like it should be fine for most babies. Babies can't control their intake from the bottle the way they can from the breast, so it is common for otherwise satisfied babies to just keep chugging it down. So just because he finishes off all the milk you send, doesn't mean he's starving and needs more. I don't have any advice for dealing with caregivers, as I don't have any experience there. I would suggest that you try to squeeze in an extra feeding while you are home together. That way, even if he truly doesn't get enough during the day, you can make up for it later. Don't try to schedule feedings, but watch his cues and try to make them as spontaneous as possible. This will encourage a robust supply, help ensure LO is eating as often as he wants, and help you reconnect after returning from work. I know after I started working (part-time), I was shocked that DD wanted to nurse, like, 3 times before bed. And I sometimes get home at 11:30! But she hates the bottle and will sometimes only take 3-4 ounces the whole time I'm gone. You know what? She's fine! Your baby will be too. Watch the baby, not the chart.

Speaking of charts, however, make sure the pediatrician is using the charts for breastfed babies from the WHO. I think it is normal for the growth curve to level out a bit at around 4 months. Some doctors have outdated charts that don't reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    Please don't feel like a failure. From what you described you are doing all the right things and it is both your caregiver and your pediatrician who are off base. It sounds like they are operating from the viewpoint of a formula-based diet. Does your LO seem satisfied after a feeding from the breast? You said you are having plenty of wets and poos, right? And baby is happy and healthy otherwise? I wouldn't worry about your supply so much if these things are true. It is perfectly normal to only pump a couple ounces at a time, and some moms with otherwise fine supplies would be happy to get that!

12 ounces during a normal 8 hour work day seems like it should be fine for most babies. Babies can't control their intake from the bottle the way they can from the breast, so it is common for otherwise satisfied babies to just keep chugging it down. So just because he finishes off all the milk you send, doesn't mean he's starving and needs more. I don't have any advice for dealing with caregivers, as I don't have any experience there. I would suggest that you try to squeeze in an extra feeding while you are home together. That way, even if he truly doesn't get enough during the day, you can make up for it later. Don't try to schedule feedings, but watch his cues and try to make them as spontaneous as possible. This will encourage a robust supply, help ensure LO is eating as often as he wants, and help you reconnect after returning from work. I know after I started working (part-time), I was shocked that DD wanted to nurse, like, 3 times before bed. And I sometimes get home at 11:30! But she hates the bottle and will sometimes only take 3-4 ounces the whole time I'm gone. You know what? She's fine! Your baby will be too. Watch the baby, not the chart.

Speaking of charts, however, make sure the pediatrician is using the charts for breastfed babies from the WHO. I think it is normal for the growth curve to level out a bit at around 4 months. Some doctors have outdated charts that don't reflect this.
    THe Pedi knows that I am breastfeeding. I mean he said a min of 4 oz per bottle when i was away and im like the kelly chart says thats absolutly fine. and also i read that the quantity of milk doesnt change just the quality?? Im not sure.

But on his growth chart he is down. Hes 4 months old and weighted 8.3 when he was born now hes 11.9 his height isnt even going up "they say from his last account on growth chart to now". But my husbands family his mother and her ppl are very short his grandfather topped out at 5 foot 3...UGH SO both charts are like that. They said his curve is down for him and the rate he was growing from is 2 month check up... and I feel horrible because now they are starting me on reglan.. Which hey if i can produce more and feed him more fine...But i dont want to over due it so hes not eating when hes with me either. cuz 12 oz lasted him it seemed to me... I feel horrible though..

THANK YOU SO MUCH >>>>

I would like to say that here lately I have been up every hour or so at night. I pump 3 times during my 8 hour work day. I am away from my baby no more than 10 hours I feed him before we leave in the morning and when I get home at night. "though not right away because I smell of engine oil and smoke." but within an hour. Though hes usually satified from his last bottle untill I get outta the shower. I pump during the night while he is sleeping an hour after he eats i pump then an hour later he generally wakes up and I feed him then an hour later I pump.. I have been doing that for a few nights now. Also he eats about every two hours that we are togeather. I will do what I can. But I do have to say that if his growth doesnt change in these four weeks I will be highly upset at the emotional stress it has couased me from the drs. and their talks. I mean what if he gets fat but not tall???

I also pump during the day if he goes a little longer between feedings, somtimes I try and pump after he eats. But some days that is not feasible. I I have read so much and I dont think my pedi agrees with the aap..Because they feel babys are ready at five months defintaly to eat solids no later than Six... and I thought the kelly chart said max of 30 oz but maybe thats wrong and I read it wrong.
    I do know that my son seems generally happy and healthy...Though he loves to be held and will put up a fuss some if you go to put him down. Thanks ok though momma ordered a sling. It should be here today. THANKS ALL
    Last edited by @llli*SamuelsMom; March 4th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.

I'm confused about what you were saying about the water? What did you mean by that? Are you adding water to your bottles to get more in them?

Your pediatrician is crazy. Can you get a new one? My daughter never ate more than 4 ounces from a bottle at once - not even at 13 months.

Has your son gained weight and/or height since his last visit? What was the last weight check?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm confused about what you were saying about the water? What did you mean by that? Are you adding water to your bottles to get more in them?

Your pediatrician is crazy. Can you get a new one? My daughter never ate more than 4 ounces from a bottle at once - not even at 13 months.

Has your son gained weight and/or height since his last visit? What was the last weight check?
    NO NO No. SOrry No my husband gave our son 3 oz of water. His family believes and so does some of mine that you should always give the baby some water every once in awhile??? and since baby was a lil fussy and all i guess he decided to give him the water? But other than that he was fine on his 12 oz of ebmilk

December 31 my son was 10 pounds and a few oz. he was only 11.9 this visit.
    He has gotten a little taller since the last well baby. But they say his curve has fallen??? "the curve they follow from birth of what baby should be doing?

My son has had 5 oz at a time now. He never seems to beable to suck that much down right away unless he has to wait and then it takes him quite awhile and it doesnt matter if hes just had a bottle as soon as he sees me he wines and wants me..then i think he just comfort sucks..Which freaks my mil out still even though ive told her that he does it for comfort and can controll the flow of milk. UNLIKE THE BOTTLE..

SO SORRY.

I'm just a little confused....did you say he has not grown in height in 2 months? That MIGHT concern me a bit, although from what you have described it doesn't seem like the problem is your supply. And as far as water goes, I don't think I'd give him that. It's not necessary and may fill him up , I'd give him more breast milk instead which is plenty hydrating enough.

As far as I've read water is completely unnecessary for a breastfed baby, as long as the urine is pale yellow he shouldn't need it, not only that but it can get in the way of his appetite. Maybe giving him 2 oz feedings closer together would help him... You really should get a second opinion though, it doesn't seem like ur doc is on the right path for you. Feeding them more than they want is linked to obesity later in life. Trust your instincts though, if you feel like he's happy and healthy and everything else is fine then maybe this growth is right for your son.
    B 11/14/10 Born in the backseat of gma's car into mommy's eager hands while daddy held her steady.

I'm sorry I just noticed that that said 3 oz, hon, thats too much.. That's a whole feeding...
    Last edited by @llli*una.sway; March 4th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
    B 11/14/10 Born in the backseat of gma's car into mommy's eager hands while daddy held her steady.

Hm. A few thoughts...

una.sway is right, a four month old baby doesn't need and shouldn't be given water. Babies that are exclusively breastfed get all the water they need from their mother's milk. Water alone fills them up so they nurse less, while giving them no calories or nutrition. So especially for a baby who needs to gain more weight, it's not a good thing.

Since you said that your baby doesn't seem to want to take 5 oz at a time, there's no reason he needs to. It would make just as much sense to give him 2-3 oz at a time and offer the bottle more often. That way there would be less chance of some of the milk going to waste.

Does he get bottles when you're home? Or do you always nurse while you're together?

You mentioned nursing about every two hours while you're home, which sounds great. And he's getting 12 oz of milk while you're gone for 10 hours, which sounds good too.

How many ounces of milk total do you think you get from pumping in 24 hours? And how many times do you nurse in 24 hours?

I really don't know enough to tell if there's something going on with your baby's growth, but if there is, it doesn't sound to me like the problem is not enough milk. From what I can tell, the amounts sound pretty normal.

A second opinion might not be a bad idea. Or a meeting with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) might be even better. It just sounds like you need someone more knowledgeable to go over everything with you to see if there's actually a problem somewhere.

Good luck!!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I don't understand why some older people think that you have to give a baby water. I think it comes from formula feeding, but I'm not really sure.

I think it sounds like everything is probably fine with your baby and that maybe you should get a second opinion from another pediatrician, or an IBCLC like Karen suggested.

Babies don't really follow the same curve they were born on. My older daughter bounces around between 3% and 15% for both weight and height, once she was 25% on one or both of them, I can't remember. Nobody follows an exact curve.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months