Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever used pumpin' pal?

Default Anyone ever used pumpin' pal?

I bought the set from their website and i cant seem to make it work. The flanges that fit in the medela flanges wont even stay on my breasts. My crappy holes in a small sports bra works better than the 35 dollars i just spent on that junk

Default Re: Anyone ever used pumpin' pal?

I don't prefer them either. I tried all three sets, thinking it was just a sizing issue, and just don't get a good fit on my breasts. I tried putting them at different angles. I tried putting them upside down. I'll use them, but as my backup set.

I have heard that the CS is great...perhaps a call or e-mail might get you some help.

I do kind of like the hands free thing, as it takes up way less room than a pumping bustier in my bag, which is already packed with diapers and the pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi sandrac,

I had a similar problem at first, then I realized the Pumpin Pals will fit directly into the Medela connectors instead of the flange to flange. I don't know if that is your problem, but just thought I would throw that out there, cause I just love mine.

I think I might have stopped pumping without them! They are so much more comfortable.

I really liked the hands free 'necklace'. But once I got that adjusted properly, I found that I didn't need their angled inserts. In fact, for me, they made it more uncomfortable and difficult to pump.

But the angles flange was great for whenever I used my hand pump. Agree with the PP about checking to see if you can just use the new flange in place of the regular one (instead of inside it). That is how it worked with my medela handpump.

Maybe try calling their customer service if you are still having difficulty? I have heard that they are very helpful.

It did take me a little while to get the necklace strap adjusted right, but once it is adjusted, you don't have to mess with it anymore. I am kind of surprised when some say the flanges are not as comfortable, as the inside of them is so smooth. I guess everybody is shaped a little different and no one flange is right for everyone. I'll say it again, I can't pump without my pumpin pals.

Smile Re: Anyone ever used pumpin' pal?

I got it too. I was very upset that it didn't work for me. The hands free thing didn't work either. I have very small breasts and nipples and I'm figuring this is a lot of my low supply problem. I have kept looking for a better fitting shield and found the ameda flexishield. You can find it online, but I got it at Babies R Us for $16.99.

It takes the standard Ameda flange (25mm) down to a 21mm and MAN, did it work better for me. I am still not getting a lot, but I know these things aren't immediate.

I'm glad I joined this site... I feel comforted knowing that I'm not the only one with the milk supply on the decrease. I do, though, get frustrated to see the forum category for "Too Much Milk"!!! LOL

I have been using the Pumpin Pal flanges for more than 5 months now and I can say I probably would have quit pumping without them. My nipples were so raw using the old style Medela flanges and went through 3 different sizes before I found the Pumpin Pals. My nipples quickly healed and have had no issues since. I bought the kit with 3 sizes and found I will use the larges in the morning and the mediums the rest of the day. Being able to lean back a little has also saved my back since I had to lean forward a bit to get the milk to flow down. Fantastic product.

PumpMom - you're really coming across as someone who is only here to sell Pumpin Pal flanges.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Okay, so I turned off my computer a little while ago but found that my brain was still whirring about Pumpin' Pal flanges after reading a couple threads tonight, so I decided I'd better post my thoughts.

The flanges helped me. I have large nipples, and I used the Medela 36 mm flanges for months. I used them successfully in the sense that my milk supply was great, and I would have continued using them, except that I came across a reference to Pumpin' Pals on some forum or other (I actually think it was LLL, but I'm not totally sure--I was probably googling "sore nipples and larger flanges"). My nipples were scraped and almost bruised at the base because of my pumping (I was EPing at the time and regularly pumped about 150 minutes a day), and I had recently also suffered from mastitis. When I found Pumpin Pals, I called the company because I thought I needed a size larger than 36 mm, but their sizing chart indicated that I wouldn't. One of the owners of the company suggested that I buy the XL since that was my instinct, but she sent a L size for free just in case that didn't work.

Well, the XL did work to relieve some of my discomfort (and it did help my back pain) and my nipples did heal up a bit. Pumping was still painful for me, but every time I tried going back to a Medela 36, I realized that Pumpin Pals were better pain-wise. I did not notice a supply increase as is touted on their website, and it's possible that the XL flanges caused me to take a little more time to empty, but at that point I could take an extra minute or two per pump not to be in so much pain.

I tried the hands-free strap when I ended up pumping at the beginning of my (now nursing) second child's life, and it didn't work for me. I use breast compressions while pumping, and I found that just balancing the bottles on the strap, I would break suction too often. A hands-free bra was a better option.

I can see from these threads that there are women out there who don't have success with them, but I wanted to post my thoughts for the women out there who may really benefit from giving them a chance.

For the OP and others who are unhappy, I just checked the Pumpin' Pal website and if you bought the Pumpin' Comfort Kit, there is still a 100% refund (including shipping) if you are not satisfied. I never used that option, but you might want to give their customer service a call. I found them to be very friendly (and in my case, generous).

I don't work for the company. I'm not here to sell flanges. I just want to share my positive experience so that another mom who's going through something similar isn't scared to give them a try.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I ordered the hands free strap for me and a friend and was sent the angled flanges instead. The customer service was very nice and they sent the right product right away, so I would suggest contacting them if you need to. The strap was very disappointing and useless and did not work at all and the flanges didn't do me any good because they were size extra large and I have small breasts, so they have been sitting under my bed unopened for over a year, haha! I'm actually very surprised that the products work for some people. I wonder if it has to do with proper use, the pump, or breast size..

I would definitely say call customer service!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!