Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3wks old, how many times a night does your baby nurse?

Default 3wks old, how many times a night does your baby nurse?

Just curious. Chloe is 3wks old and seems to have a pattern at night! Basically since she was 1 wk she eats at 9pm, 12am, 3am, 5am. I am wondering if this is too little? Or just right.

Default Re: 3wks old, how many times a night does your baby nurse?

Thats is about how much Zack eats and he is three weeks old as well. we try to have him sleep for 4 hours once at night, but sometimes he is just too hungry....lol

Wink Re: 3wks old, how many times a night does your baby nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayas+LilPumpkinsMommy View Post
    Just curious. Chloe is 3wks old and seems to have a pattern at night! Basically since she was 1 wk she eats at 9pm, 12am, 3am, 5am. I am wondering if this is too little? Or just right.
    Eli is four weeks old. He eats every two-three hours day and night. The standard for breastfeeding at this age is once every 2-3 hours. For formula it's once every 3-4 hours.

When my DD1 was 2 weeks old she nursed about every 2 hours. Sometimes every 1.5 hours but usually about every 2 hours.

Right when DJ was 3weks old he went thru the growth spurt that brought on the dreaded Clusterfeeding! That's where I had to take a nap before my husband went to bed because since I had not yet mastered sidelye nursing I had to SIT UP form midnight until 5am because anytime I tried to unlatch him he was the wide eyed crazy baby!!! He needed the boob in his mouth the while time for like 4days!! It should slow down sometime this week!

My DS is also 3 weeks old.For the most part he feeds every 3 hours, at 9 pm, 12 am, 3 am, 6,am etc...once in a while he moves his schedule to 2 hours, and we've had a few evenings of cluster feedings...but most days he stays on his 3 hour sched...give or take 15 mins either way.I find that if he spends one day eating more frequently then usual, he'll eat less often the next day. one things for sure...he always wants to nurse when he has gass, whether it's "time" to eat or not!

My girl is 1 month today and she has been on that same schedule for 2 weeks now and is doing great! As long as your little one is gaining weight I think you are doing good.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Ashelyn is only 2 weeks, but she's on the same schedule too. Sometimes she will go up to 4 hours inbetween at night...or sometimes she will go 1.5 hours. Last night, it was 10:40, 11:30, 1:20 AM, 3:20, 6:30 etc...

All I know is that her diapers are great. She has gained 11 ounces (from her birth weight) and has grown 1/4" in her short two weeks. To me, this says she is eating as she should.

Sounds like Chloe is on track too! So, are YOU getting any rest during the day? I'm certainly not. Also - Ashelyn likes to have nights where she won't go in her bassinette - she cries as soon as I put her in, even if she is sound asleep when I move her in there. So, she has to sleep on my chest (I lay on my back) for the few hours in between her feedings. I certainly hope that stops soon!!

wow Debi, thats just like Collin...I will fall asleep at the breast. I will wait till I think he's good and asleep...but as soon as his head touches the bassinet...he's up! So he spends the first half of the night in the bassinet...and the last half of the night sleeping soundly on my chest!

I am almost embarassed to admit... my 2 1/2 month old still sleeps on my chest.... it makes her happy so it makes me happy... :-b
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006