Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to bf after pumping exclusively for 4 weeks post birth

Default trying to bf after pumping exclusively for 4 weeks post birth

Hi,
    I have been exclusively pumping for 4 weeks since my daughter was born. I am overwhelmed with the very little time I have between pumping, feeding, then cleaning all the pumping gear. It's extremely time consuming now I would like to put her on the breast and she resist pretty bad. Am I crazy to think I can get her to latch on again. She is now 5 weeks and I've been trying to bf her for the past week. She refuses to latch on and so I'm left triple feeding her, which is even harder than exclusively pumping and bottle feeding her my expressed milk. I feel like we take one step forward and 2 back. the past 2 days she's refused the breast at all feedings. Also, she's been extremely sleepy so she doesn't even want to try at the breast. Help! How long should I torture myself trying? Has it happened for anyone?

Default Re: trying to bf after pumping exclusively for 4 weeks post birth

It took my daughter 2 months to latch and my son 3 weeks. It CAN be done. It takes perseverance, determination and patience. Pick a day, get into bed topless with your baby in only a diaper and spend the day trying to nurse. This site was helpful to me.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi,

Wow, it sounds like you are exhausted, Mama. Good for you for continuing to try! I don't have any advice to offer in that regard, but can I suggest buying a couple sets of pump horns/valves? They are not expensive. Also, some people store their horns in the fridge so they don't have to wash them between pumpings. Finally, can you delegate the pump washing to someone else in the house? After all, making milk is a lot of work on your part-- someone else could chip in to wash the pump parts. I found that having a couple sets of horns/valves was a big relief to me, and also just putting it in the fridge.

Thank you SO much! I wasn't ready to give up on her but didn't know if I was trying something impossible. It's even harder because I have two toddler boys as well. Thank you for giving me hope. I must say today she took the breast for 6 minutes! I cried tears of joy! At what point did you stop pumping and breastfeed exclusively? That is, if you pumped while trying to get them at the breast? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*petty View Post
    Thank you SO much! I wasn't ready to give up on her but didn't know if I was trying something impossible. It's even harder because I have two toddler boys as well. Thank you for giving me hope. I must say today she took the breast for 6 minutes! I cried tears of joy! At what point did you stop pumping and breastfeed exclusively? That is, if you pumped while trying to get them at the breast? Thanks again!
    My son was 3 weeks when I packed the pump up. Once he got it, that was it he was on full time. My daughter was a different story. It took her 2 months to even accept my nipple but another 3 months to get it all right. She was 7 weeks early though.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn