Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does partial pumping increase foremilk?

Default Does partial pumping increase foremilk?

So I am wondering if only half emptying a breast increases foremilk.

Most of the time I double pump both sides empty. However, sometimes at work I only pump halfway on one side to make sure that I have lots of milk for my lunchtime feeding when I get to see my LO.

We block feed when we are together, but I double pump to make up for the two bottles he has in the morning. If he only had one bottle I would only pump one side. However, since I normally block feed sometimes he has to nurse on both sides at lunch to get enough if I pump both. -milk supply is really slow to refill both when I pump both. It seemed he was getting too much foremilk when nursing both sides - so I just starting pumping one side empty and then half pumping the other side to get a good letdown and save milk for him at lunchtime.

I am concerned because the bottle I deliver for the afternoon is then 1.5 breasts worth with double foremilk and only one breast worth of hindmilk. However, he's probably only getting hindmilk at lunch when we nurse.

Well we've got green poops all the time now, and I'm confused. He recently had a bad bout of diarrhea too from the antibiotics i took, so maybe it's just that- but does partially pumping that one breast result in it making more foremilk?

Please help!

Default Re: Does partial pumping increase foremilk?

I don't think so. Can you tell us more about the green poops? When did they start? You may have already posted about this, but I don't remember what you said.

Did the green poop go away when you started block feeding?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I had to start block feeding about week two of his life because of green poops and fussiness - It completely disappeared. When I was nursing both breasts at lunch it reappeared.

He had diarrhea for two weeks after my abx. The diarrhea has subsided, but he's still pooping a lot (5-6 times a day and at least once at night) and it's real smelly and green - like - forest green. So smelly I can't even describe it.

We are using culturelle to repopulate, and that's actually what resolved the diarrhea.

Does that help?

I don't know if this is your problem, but yes, I think it is technically possible for a pumping mom to pump all foremilk and for a baby to get an imbalance from bottles. In fact, for the reasons you describe (short pumping breaks), I think it's more likely happen pumping than nursing.

This is one reason I tried to do fewer, longer pumping sessions and go for a second letdown. And I mixed my bottles together at night before giving them to DH to give to Joe the next day.

I don't know that this is your problem - there are other reasons for green poop. But it couldn't hurt to try to empty your breasts more thoroughly.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I find a get a lot more hindmilk if I make the pump imitate a cluster feeding, and I sit and pump every 15 minutes for an hour or two in the evening. But that won't solve your immediate issue.

I also mix my bottles to try to even things out. I've noticed that some bottles have a lot more cream than others. Can't always explain why.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was going to suggest mixing your bottles too. I think that would help.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I pump in the morning for the afternoon and the afternoon for the morning so I rarely have an entire days milk on my hands but I happen to right now (pumping more than he's eating some days it seems). I think I will be able to implement it over the weekend if I opt to keep Fridays milk for Monday instead of freezing. Thanks for the help and I will give that a try!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Exclamation Re: Does partial pumping increase foremilk?

Okay now I am completely confused.

Over the weekend James was exclusively nursed and his poops returned to his normal yellow color! I was so happy. He's been teething however so he nursed all night. This morning I also mixed my milk for today. - On Friday I didn't do any half pumps.

He's having HUGE frothy green poops at daycare still. I don't get it. I might be pumping retarded?

So I pump, I let down, until there is no more milk, then I do compressions and get the "cream" or whatever and my boobs feel SUPER empty compared to when James nurses, yet he still gets green poops ?

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe it isn't the breastmilk that's causing the issue? Is he otherwise cheerful and happy?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He is very happy otherwise- well minus his two new teeth that are coming in. chew chew chew....

Thank you for always reviewing my questions joesmom I am always happy to see a reply from you!

I was starting to wonder if his frequent short nurses at night were a contributing factor so I block nursed 6 hours per side last night and his poops returned to yellow this morning. We will see what happens at daycare.

Only problem is now I have one side that is HUGE (the 7pm to 12am side) and I know when I pump it will be mostly foremilk. I will easily pump around 6-7 oz this morning on that side so maybe I will set aside the first 3oz for freezing/emergencies ?

When we are together on the weekends we just don't have this problem, or engorgement so I don't really think it's a full on imbalance/oversupply.