Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing preschooler a little too touchy

Default nursing preschooler a little too touchy

We're still happily nursing at 35 months. We've been a first thing in the morning / nap / bedtime nursing couple for almost 9 months.
    I finally decided that I'm okay with him nursing as long as he needs to - but he is about to drive. me. crazy. touching the nur-nurs all day long
    (as in -walk up to mom - "touch, touch" and run away)
    He also sticks his hand down my shirt when I'm holding him out in public and I'm just done with that! I could really use some advice on how to help him make this transition. I never let him twiddle when he was little -and it was never really a problem until the last few months. If he was asking to nurse more often it would make sense to me -- but he's not.
    I've tried (when we're out) reminding him that is something we do at home; and when we're home I try to re-direct him and ask if he needs a hug or snuggle when he comes up to touch me - but usually he just runs away.

If he wasn't still nursing I'd have no problem just telling him that we don't touch other people's bodies that way -but since they ARE still somewhat his - I'm struggling with the best way to handle this.

Anyone else BTDT?
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Default Re: nursing preschooler a little too touchy

Sounds like he's very fond of the nur-nurs! Maybe he's attached to them like many kids are to a lovey- a bear, a blanket...?

Could you wear some different shirts for a while? If it's hard to access the nur-nurs, he may fall out of the habit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Could you wear some different shirts for a while? If it's hard to access the nur-nurs, he may fall out of the habit.
    Almost the end of turtleneck season. He's a master at finding a way into even the most access-unfriendly shirt. I am praying hard for the girls he will eventually date.

When he touches, though -- he does that through the shirt. (and sometimes it's more like a slap than a love pat).
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

I feel you mama! Sometimes I wanna slap his hand away and say "leave me alone!"

We still struggle with this but consistancy is really the key, I grab his hand and say "we are not nursing now, wait until we get home" then redirect. I do this over and over but it does help.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cmasevemom View Post
    I am praying hard for the girls he will eventually date.
    Sorry, but this makes me
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"