Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much BM at 13 months?

Default Too much BM at 13 months?

Hello, Ladies!

A little background before my questions:
    > My DD has had chronic ear infections (at least once a month since she was 6 months old) and we just found out this week that she needs tubes.
    > She is a VERY picky eater. She will eat what she wants to eat (mostly bread products--no veggies or fruits unless pureed--but only a few bites at a time) and she will throw the rest off the tray. She LOVES nursing, absolutely loves to nurse. But, over a year of age, is this healthy? To mostly nurse with next to no solids?
    > Her weight gain has stopped at 12 months at 17 lbs. 14 ounces (she was weighed this week at the ENT's office with clothes and shoes on and she was 18 lbs 1 oz. which tells me she has not gained any weight, possibly even lost weight, because I am sure her clothes/shoes weigh more than 3 ozs.)
    > Nursing/Bottle Schedule:
    3 am--Nurses on one side (Sometimes)
    5 am--Nurses on the other side
    7 am--Sometimes she will nurse but not always; when she doesn't I pump 2-4 ounces that DH feeds to her later in the day while I am at work
    9 am--4-5 ounces from a bottle (3 ozs BM combined with 1-2 ounces of cow's milk)
    12 pm--4 ounces from a bottle (3 ounces BM; 1 ounce cow's milk)
    3 pm--3-4 ounces from bottle (3 ounces BM; with maybe one ounce cow's milk)
    6 pm--Nurses on one side
    8 pm--Nurses on the other side
    11 pm--Nurses on one side (Sometimes)
    **In my mind (don't know if that is correct or not), I count two one sided nursings as one session. Am I wrong? With my line of thinking, she nurses 4-6 times in a day; on weekends it is more frequent. I pump three times a day for approximately 8-10 ounces (but for every three ounces of BM we have been adding an ounce or so of cow's milk).

This question has been on my mind since DD's 12 month appointment. Is my DD drinking too much breastmilk for her age? The pediatrician recommends 16-24 ounces a day...is this based on cow's milk and/or formula standards? If so, what does that equate to in terms of breast milk? She is obviously getting plenty of breastmilk (according to these standards I would safely say she is easily getting 16 ounces a day), but I wonder if she is getting so much she has no interest in solids. Should I back off a pumping session during the day and instead have DH give DD a sippy of water/cow's milk/juice for thirst? The pediatrician recommended juice because of her not gaining weight...I personally would prefer cow's milk because of the sugar in juice. My MIL (who takes care of DD a few days a week) just told me she thinks DD would drop the 3 pm bottle if she didn't go looking to feed DD. I am scared to back off of any feeding with her not eating solids, because of her zero weight gain. Or, am I doing the wrong thing?! Should we back off the bottles during the day to give her the opportunity to be hungry more? Does that mean get rid of the bottles completely and instead provide only sippy cups for thirst and what she drinks from there is all she gets while I am away for 11 hours a day? Or will that drop her wet diaper count too far?

**NOTE: I am not trying to encourage her to wean but I do want to give her the opportunity to grow at a normal rate.

Sorry so long!!! I am a first time long term nursing Mom looking for advice!!

Default Re: Too much BM at 13 months?

have you thought about ditching the cows milk?

does she have any signs of allergy? there is a good list at this link

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaugsep97p75.html

I think I might consider stopping the cows milk too. Kids who drink a lot of cows milk fill up and then don't want to eat other solids. Ask my 3yo about that. Breastmilk on the other hand digests much faster then cows milk and might leave her more willing to eat other foods at meal times. Its seems to me that she is consuming enough breastmilk that you don't need to worry about calcium and such from the cows milk. Do keep in mind that breastmilk is much more nuitrient dense then any other food out there, so don't cut out breastmilk.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I have thought about ditching the cow's milk. And I am completely prepared to do that. The reason we introduced it was because of how little she ate...my production kept dropping so we adjusted with the cow's milk hoping it would help her accept at least one new taste. It has worked! She likes cow's milk and water in a sippy cup but does NOT like juice. **NOTE: At most she gets 3-4 ounces of cow's milk a day. On others (when my production is good), she gets none. But, I will tell DH to not add to her bottles from this point forward.

I considered cow's milk allergy when we first introduced it to her at 11 months because she started spitting up randomly (she also had an ear infection at the same time and was on three different antibiotics through the course of a few weeks that could have been irritating her stomach so who knows why she started spitting up/vomiting). But, she no longer does that...only ocassionally if she eats solids well before a bottle (i.e. overly full). She does not have diharreha (in fact her poops are more often then not, normal breastfed poops...i.e. abundant and yellow around once a day), severe gas, or stomach upset that I know of. I do occassionally hear wet burps, which is probably due to her reflux. She is an EXTREMELY happy baby (when there is no ear infection) unless overly tired or wants a bottle. Even then, she is easy to calm when we meet her needs. People often say "what a pleasant baby she is!". Her biggest issue is restlessness at night most nights, which could be attributed to the fact that she just started walking, is teething, and has fluid on her ears, etc but by the time I go to bed she is able to nurse when she wants so she sleeps very well.

I am just at a loss...I do not know if her weight and lack of interest in food is normal or not...I have no other kids to compare to. Not to mention the fact that I see my gfs DS (formula baby) wolf down food without hesitation and is seeming to thrive.

On a another note, I started taking an anti-thyroid drug called Methimazole on December 15th to hopefully surpress my Graves disease (over active thyroid) into remission. This was right around her 11 month and when we started seeing signs of percentile loss (i.e. dropped from the 10th percentile at her 9 month appointment to the 3rd percentile at her 12 month appointment). My endocrinologist said that as long as I took the small dose (10 mg once a day) at night during the longest time between feedings she should not experinece any side affects. In fact, this drug is supposedly used in European countries without hesitation or concern for a nursing baby (i.e. they believe there are no significant side affects). Should I insist on a thyroid work up for my DD at her weight check in a few weeks?

So many things at play...

Not to mention that she could just be a light eater who prefers BM over food.
    Last edited by @llli*momcbs; March 3rd, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

as long as she is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't have to worry about milk subs or callories from cows milk.

Did they check her iron at your 12 month visit?
    my dd ate very little food and her iron was low, it was easy to fix and she was soon eating much more food. I don't know it was because she was getting older or it had alot to do with her lron levels
    some kids with tummy troubles don't eat much before they turn 2 and thats normal for them.

I wanted to say too that its normal for kids that are sick not to gain much weight. IF shes had that many ear infections that might be part of the growth issue.

No such thing as too much nursing, or too much breastmilk. Particularly for a small baby. Breastmilk has more calories than pretty much anything else you can offer. More calories than cow's milk, more than solids, more than formula. It's totally normal for a 13 month old baby to receive the bulk of their nutrition from nursing- breastmilk alone provides sufficient nutrition until the baby is around a year old, and it's not like babies go from needing only breastmilk to needing a ton of solids the moment they hit 1 year of age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with pp my ds didn't really start eating a ton of solids until 18ish months and still some days (hes 22 mths) he doesn't eat much. He makes up for it with nursing though.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989