Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6WO trying to latch for first time - HELP!

Default 6WO trying to latch for first time - HELP!

I think we're making progress! My 6wo DS who has been striking for 2 1/2 weeks - and has never latched well or w/o a nipple shield - is finally trying! He is licking my nipple and drinking the swallowing the milk that drips, but otherwise doesn't seem to know what to do.

He hates having his chin pushed down and doesn't open his mouth wide at all - how can I help him?

We've been doing lots of skin-to-skin - seems to have gotten him to this point. Also, he's a very laid-back eater with pumped milk in a bottle as well as at the breast before the strike. How can I encourage a good active suck?

ANY ideas or anything that has helped you would be great! I am SO relieved that he's even interested!

Default Re: 6WO trying to latch for first time - HELP!

My daughter wasn't a non-latcher, but it did take her a long time to latch properly-for a long time she chewed on my nipple w/o using her tongue-OUCH! Skin to skin is great. Try to make nursing sessions as relaxed as possible (very hard when you're in physical or emotional pain, I know.) For us, the first time we nursed without any pain was in the bathtub, Lizzie nearly asleep. Hopefully your LO still has the suckling instinct in her which should be easier to tap into if she is very calm and sleepy. Maybe try in the middle of the night, when settling down for naptime (DD nurses best for me then) or at bathtime.

Any ideas from moms who had non-latchers?

my 1st had some similar issues the first couple weeks... what type of bottles are you using? we had the advent system (back when they were making manual pumps!) and the nipples were so that he had to open his mouth very wide to drink, maybe it helped maybe it didn't, but if you hadn't already thought of it, maybe it's something... good luck!
    Holly

FTSAHM & happily soon-to-be-officially hitched
    DS - Noah - 7/18/04 - BF 1 year
    DD - Lauren - 11/19/10 - EBF
    (although she's already eyeballing my food )

Instead of opening his mouth you can squish your areola/breast, with your thumb on the top and the rest of your fingers on the bottom - sort of like a hamburger hold and it will sort of make your nipple/areola squish into a more manageable size, as well in this position you can tickle his upper and bottom lip and pop it in when he opens!

Also dreamfeeding - sneaking them out of bed and having your nips all ready is a good way to start... If they aren't as alert they are more apt to root around!

I am getting so frustrated. I have been trying what you said - no dice. He tries liking milk off my nipple when he's sleepy (waking up), but he can't seem to get my nipple in his mouth. He isn't sucking. Even with his breastmilk bottle supplements, he seems to not suck very much.

Ideas?

I really, really want this to work!

I have been trying to get my 11 week old son to get a deeper latch. He was clicking lots and making sores from rubbing my nipple. I tried the sandwich and fast latch, tried all positions I could think of. I have been trying this today and it has helped. Although it's been less than 24 hours, it seems to be aiding our latch. When he pulls off or unlatches and relatches, it is deeper already. I'm not sure how long this "trick" will work or how long it will take him to do it on his own...
    http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/breas...tch-trick.html

I second carmen.arizona's tip on squeezing your nipple into a "hamburger" so it fits into his mouth. I had to do this with DD because my right boob had a flat nipple and she had a very hard time latching, actually wouldn't on that side for a while.

Your hand position for doing this: put your thumb on the top of your boob, about an inch or so past the outside of your areola. Put your other fingers underneath your boob and squeeze - your boob should be in sortof a flat "sandwich"...does this make sense? Doing this really helps fit it into their mouth when their mouths are so tiny.

To get him to open wide - once you have your nipple sandwich ready (haha) move your nipple from his nose down his top lip towards his mouth, repeat this downward stroke until he opens BIG...if he hasn't opened big enough don't let him latch. Did this with DD and it really helped! I agree with others, doing this during a nighttime feeding when he's more relaxed will help also.

Hope this helps! You can work through this! Have you seen a lactation consultant? I would definitely do that too if you haven't already.