Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still non-stop

Default still non-stop

NAK I`ve posted about this issue before, but somehow I still worry. Ds is 8 weeks tomorrow and he`s been in the "non-stop" feeding stage for 6 weeks. He has enough dirty/wet diapers and is gaining well (also confirmed by the pedi). He`s still feeding every hour during the day and every 3-4 hours at night.
    He is also a "high need" baby, needing to be in the arms or at the breast all the time. My question is: is this a supply issue or my son just like to nurse so he can stay close? I get funny looks from pp when they see me nurse him so often and they always say that I must not have enough
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: still non-stop

The best way to gage if your LO is getting enough is the diaper out put. You say they are good, so I would not worry. You LO just loves his mama and nursing is very comforting and soothing. It sounds like he is on a good schedule to me (3-4 hours stretches at night is ver nice!!). Just keep doin what your doin!!

Also if you don't already have a sling or wrap, you may want to try one. It will answer you question about whether or not the baby is comfort nursing or working on upping your supply. Neither is a bad thing Also it will let you be "hands free" regardless. You can get stuff done while your baby is just close to you OR while nursing. ANd most people won't even notice that your feeding in the sling or wrap so you'll avoid the stares! HTH!!!

Hi,

Your son's nursing pattern is very typical of high-need babies. As long as baby is gaining well, has plenty of diaper output, and is otherwise active, alert, and healthy, there's nothing to worry about .

As for what to say to those disapproving stares, you could remind them that breastfeeding is so much more than food! Isn't it great to have such a convinient way to meet baby's needs?

Oh, and ditto DJ's Mom about the sling. It was an absolute necessity for me and my high-need baby. My laid-back baby loves it now, too.

HTH,

Tiana

Thank you forthe quick reply Sounds like all is normal and I`m happy about it. Yes, his diaper output is very good and he is VERY alert. He smiles a lot and just seems so happy (provided he is in our arms ) I use the sling when we are out and it works well, but we still need some practice with it.
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot