Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Random question about heating up breast milk

Default Random question about heating up breast milk

So i've made a little stash of frozen breast milk for emergency use (one never knows). I recently was watching a video (and reading a book by the same author) about raw milk and how many nutrients are destroyed by pasteurazation. A very good point is that mother's dont pasteurize their milk bc it's so pure, hence the same falls true for cows. FFWD to 4:25 min http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyrTm...eature=related but you may want to watch at least the first 6 minutes it's rather interesting. So, to the point, if i freeze my milk and when my mother thaws it out and warms it up for baby to drink warm or at room temperature will some of the nutrients in the bm be destroyed like in cow's milk?
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Default Re: Random question about heating up breast milk

I think that there's a difference between heating it and thawing it...I don't know for sure though. How are you heating the milk? We usually just would either thaw it in the fridge or place it in a cup of warm water to get it to room temp. Or even - not warm it at all just have her drink it cold. I don't think it's reccomended at all to warm on the stove or microwave.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I think that there's a difference between heating it and thawing it...I don't know for sure though. How are you heating the milk? We usually just would either thaw it in the fridge or place it in a cup of warm water to get it to room temp. Or even - not warm it at all just have her drink it cold. I don't think it's reccomended at all to warm on the stove or microwave.

We dont use the stove. We run pretty warm water on the faucet and it heats up the frozen milk. But it still took some "warmth" (heat) to restore back to its normal stage. I need to get a science degree and get my own science lab and run all these experiments
    Last edited by @llli*foreveradancer; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

I can't say with 100% certainty either, but if you're just thawing and not using the stove or microwave to heat it up I suspect it doesn't harm the nutrients.

And if your baby is only getting it occasionally it's not going to make a huge difference either way.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--