Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I Increase Pumping Output?

Default How do I Increase Pumping Output?

well, Unfortunately, I tried REALLY hard to pump 3x/ day at work (8am - 5pm), but I cannot get my work done (and end up staying late, and then being away from DD for LONGER). So I am pumping 2x a day. Sometimes I can manage a pump in the morning before I leave. The issue is though, my first pump session at work, I get 8 oz! Amazing, right? But the second one, I usually only get 4 oz. Is there any way for me to increase that output to more like 8 oz? Because DD usually eats 4 oz x 3 feedings = 12 oz, so right now I pump EXACTLY what she eats, which is stressful, just in case she's extra hungry one day, or in case I spill some, or something happens, and then she'd have to have formula, and I don't want that . BTW, she is 2 mo old on Friday. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: How do I Increase Pumping Output?

Try pumping in the car to increase numbers of pumpings, as that's what really increases output. Pump on the way to work or for a few minutes on the way home, to make sure you have enough to nurse baby when you pick her up.

It's very common to have one or two pumping sessions that produce a lot of milk and then the supply to decrease from there. Most moms notice they can pump at lot in the first couple of the day and then by the afternoon, they don't get much.

You can try just tacking on a few more minutes, even if they are "dry" minutes where you don't get anything, as a signal to make more milk. Done consistently at the same time (or close to) every day, your body makes more milk at that time. That might help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: How do I Increase Pumping Output?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It's very common to have one or two pumping sessions that produce a lot of milk and then the supply to decrease from there. Most moms notice they can pump at lot in the first couple of the day and then by the afternoon, they don't get much.
    I always pumped almost twice as much in my morning session as at any other session, even though it was only a few hours after nursing my baby. Mornings are just a high supply time for me (and lots of other women). So try to get the most you can in the morning, and plan to get less later. I used breast compressions and massage to really maximize my morning pumping. I think a lot of mamas pump on the way to work in the morning, and that helps get their total # of ounces up (because they may still make quite a bit, only a few hours later, because mornings are a high supply time).

I also agree - in order to increase production, you often have to pump "dry." At first you don't get any milk, you're just stimulating your nipples to give your brain the signal to make more. After a couple of days, you'll be making more.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.