Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eye goop

Default eye goop

For the last few weeks, I noticed my LO has a lot of eye goop oozing from his left eye. It doesn't look like an infection...it looks like he has 'sleep crusties' in his eye, but it's green in color. Should I be worried? I know I'm a freak questioning everything, but I just want to see what you guys think of this.

Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: eye goop

Well, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV , but one quick idea is that it can't hurt to drop a little of your milk into it. It's a natural product and has some great anti-gunk properties!

Nancy, it really is freaking me out how much we have in common. Noah had a goopy eye the last few weeks, too. I took him to the doc since I, too, am paranoid, and he labeled it generally -conjunctivitis- and gave us some eye drops. I didn't give them to him right away because I'm weird about medicine, esp. with the LO, but since it didn't go away for a week, I decided to fill the prescription and began treatment. Long story short, it worked, but I wish I would have visited this forum first and tried the breastmilk idea. I had no idea you could put it in LO's eyes!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

LOL. I actually did that this morning. Needless to say, DS was a little surprised...the BM cleared it up, but the goopness just came back later.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylaura View Post
    Nancy, it really is freaking me out how much we have in common. Noah had a goopy eye the last few weeks, too. I took him to the doc since I, too, am paranoid, and he labeled it generally -conjunctivitis- and gave us some eye drops. I didn't give them to him right away because I'm weird about medicine, esp. with the LO, but since it didn't go away for a week, I decided to fill the prescription and began treatment. Long story short, it worked, but I wish I would have visited this forum first and tried the breastmilk idea. I had no idea you could put it in LO's eyes!
    Freaky, eh? (I'm Canadian, I always say 'eh'! ) We do have lots in common...or maybe you're just copying me! hehe

Yes, BM is amazing. I spray it up Aidan's nose when he is stuffed up...great stuff! It's funny, hubby is not so keen about getting BM sprayed up his nose when he's all stuffy...his loss!

I'll try the BM for a week or so and if it doesn't clear up I'll visit the doc.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan's mom View Post
    Freaky, eh? (I'm Canadian, I always say 'eh'! ) We do have lots in common...or maybe you're just copying me! hehe

Yes, BM is amazing. I spray it up Aidan's nose when he is stuffed up...great stuff! It's funny, hubby is not so keen about getting BM sprayed up his nose when he's all stuffy...his loss!

I'll try the BM for a week or so and if it doesn't clear up I'll visit the doc.

Thanks!
    No way! I am going to try it up his nose when he gets stuffy. I never would have thought. Paints a funny picture! Well, I am going to start copying your "eh" because I love when Si's relatives say that!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Sounds like a clogged eye duct to me... My DD has had this in her right eye since she was about 1 week old. The ped said it is normal and as long as the white of the eye stays white, not to worry. It helps to firmly massage the passage (located between the corner of the eye and the bridge of the nose) and to gently wipe away the goop and crusties with a warm moist washcloth. Here's to hoping our babies' mucus clears up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Sounds like a clogged eye duct to me... My DD has had this in her right eye since she was about 1 week old. The ped said it is normal and as long as the white of the eye stays white, not to worry. It helps to firmly massage the passage (located between the corner of the eye and the bridge of the nose) and to gently wipe away the goop and crusties with a warm moist washcloth. Here's to hoping our babies' mucus clears up!
    Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine recommended that as well
    (massage the passage way). I will try that for the next while and see what happens. Luckily, the whites are still white so I don't think it's pink eye.

Thanks again.

My first DD had this and now one of my twins has a clogged tear duct. I've been just massaging his eye with a warm washcloth. I'll have to try the BM too, I've heard about that!

DD had a clogged tear duct which did the same thing. I tried the bm thing but it didn't work (nothing like aiming your nipple in you lo's eye tho!). DD's eye did ultimately become infected and I put an antibiotic ointment on it which cleared the whole thing up, thank goodness, because my ped said if it's not cleared up by 9 months they stick a probe in it!!