Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New job & bottle/daycare issues

Default New job & bottle/daycare issues

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post and glad to be here!
    Ok here's the ordeal..
    #1, I have to find a job. While pregnant we moved out of state and I was only able to keep my current job until a replacement was found. This was in May. My son was born Sept 1..almost 2 months old now!! Living in a new state with no network of friends (or anyone) to get a job is tough enough... but I have to find a job that will work with a pumping schedule. Anyone have experience in new jobs and BF? I'm just scared that its not going to be as easy as I want it to be.. but I won't just stop BFing, that's for sure!

#2, he wont take a bottle..at all. I have tried everything. I know one thing, he hates silicone nipples, and those are the nipples (like Avent) that I know would probably be easiest for him to take. But the silicone is too hard. He gums the nipple, makes a frowny face and turns his head! The Playtex drop in natural nipple worked 1 time. The second time he gagged and spewed milk everywhere and didn't want to eat again for hours! All the nipples are too long for him so he gags, or he won't take because of texture. I am going to try alternatives but since I have to find a daycare, I dont feel confident that they will support a dropper or other method. That leads me to problem #3...
    Daycare...urgh. Nothing I hate more. My 6 yr old only nursed until he was 2 months old. He was switched to formula because he was tearing my nipples up. I would cry because of the pain....therefore I didn't have to worry with BFing/daycare issues. The daycares I have gone to see all use bottle warmers. Are they safe for breastmilk? I cannot find anything online to reference but they don't seem like the best idea for breastmilk. Maybe I am wrong. My other issue is that the few places I have checked out, they don't even know if current babies are formula or breastfed... that worries me! If I pick a suitable daycare as far as safety and something we like, will they forget he is taking breastmilk and treat it like formula as far as heating and storage care?
    I know I am having the 'back to work' scares but this is new to me. I wasn't able to nurse my oldest and want to be able to do it for at least a year with this go round. I have even convinced my best friend (who is being enduced on Monday) to breastfeed. I have spent time with her showing her the ropes, etc and encouraging her because no one else has. So I am the testrunner! What I learn I shall pass on. But with finding a new job (hopefully in the next 2 weeks) and no bottle or daycare success, I am getting very nervous!
    I have read other threads and see alot about bottle issues that I will try..but anyone have any tidbits (or more) of advice on the new job and daycare issues?
    Thank you soooo much!

Default Re: New job & bottle/daycare issues

hi there! welcome to the forum and congratulations on your little one!

this might be a helpful link for you. it's about introducing a bottle to a breastfed baby.

this link actually gives recommendations on which bottle nipple to use!
    the recommended nipples are:
    -Gerber ComfortLatch
    -Evenflo Ultra and Elite
    -Playtex NaturaLatch

bottle warmers are safe for breastmilk. we use the avent bottle warmer for expressed breast milk (EBM).

as for providing EBM for your baby at daycare...i'd just make it clear to your daycare provider that you are giving them breastmilk, not formula...and if you have to put a little sticky on the bottles to indicate that, then do so!

i currently pump 3 times a day at work...and sometimes at night before i go to bed. i can typically get enough milk for the next day for baby...but when i don't, i supplement with a little bit of formula. you definitely want to tell your potential new boss your intentions of pumping at work and see if he/she is supportive. i've read too many sad stories about unsupportive managers/HR folks when it comes to expressing milk at work.

good luck on finding a new job and post back if you have more questions!
    Last edited by Aleina's_Mom; October 24th, 2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Been there just a few months ago...

Pumping at work:
    I have found the easiest way for me to manage this is to buy extra shields or keep those microwave bags to sterilize on hand. I pump 20 minutes before 11am (yielding 10oz) then again 2/3pm for only 10 minutes to get my last 5oz. I justify this time by typing as I work (look into the hands-free bra for bf) and if needed use this as my 'lunch' or 'break' time. You're entitled to a break so pump during then if need be. I also bought the car adapter (in case I couldn't find anywhere else to pump). Here are a few good website:

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/coll_store.html

Bottles:
    My DS never took a bottle-even at daycare. He (minimally) accepted the Nuby nipples. Since he was 4mos old and large for his age, we added a tiny bit of cereal to the BM and daycare spoon fed him milk everyday. We also switched early on to a sippy cup-but still doesn't really like it. Your daycare should be willing to try at least spoon feeding him-not quite as messy as cup feeding. Also you never know; he could take a bottle no problem while you're gone??!!!

Daycare-I agree. Hated the thought of it. But it's a necessity. When looking at daycares, ask them: how many babies are on BM? If they don't know, then chances are they're not attentive to other baby needs-look into other ones. How do they deal iwth BM? You can ask them to warm up water then put the bottle in there, but I agree with the PP; bottle warmers are ok. But your baby may like it warmer/cooler so they'd have to tailor the warming time to your little one. I also BF my DS once I pick him up right there. It helps with transitioning him over for the day, a way for us to immediately connect and also a gentle reminder to others that he is a BF baby. Your daycare should be willing to do what you want for your baby-including feeding on demand and napping initially w/out a schedule. Also ask if they've dealt with BF babies who are difficult to get onto the bottle. This is not an uncommon occurance.

My best piece of advice is this: when looking at daycares go with your gut feeling. Observe how they interact with other babies. You have mothers' intuition. And don't forget you're doing this so that you can earn money so your family isn't homeless/starving/freezing b/c of no clothes...etc. And you're a mommy 24/7 no matter where you are. Best of luck! -it will get easier. Feel free to email me personally w/any other questions/concerns.

Before my oldest went into daycare, we bought some really funky bottles to try with him. The were made by Adiri and called breast bottles. I'm sure a Google search online would get you to their website. They are a wide bottle that actually looks like a small breast with a shorter nipple end. Some of the reviewing moms swore by them. We ended up not needing them as LO used the playtex nurser with the drop ins, but it might be worth a shot to try them.

I also was never the one to give ds a bottle... dh or DCP always did it instead...I was never even in the room with a bottle and my son, and it helped us alot.

I am entitled to 15 minute breaks at work and I use that time for pumping. I think it's the law that you have to be given breaks, so I would hope that they don't care what you do in that time. My boss is very supportive though and has found me a nice place to pump and has supported my proposal for a lactation room at my workplace.

As far as which bottle to use, I've found that everyone suggests different ones. Some will put X brand on the good list, and others put it on the bad list. The only thing I've found to be really consistent advice is to use a slow flow nipple. I can't tell you which bottle worked for me, because none have so far. But we are using a Nuby cup now with minimal success - about 1 oz on some days.

As for the provider knowing it is breastmilk and how to treat it, I would suggest putting a label on the bottles that says "breastmilk" to be sure they know. If they don't seem to know about how to handle breastmilk, you could bring in a little "cheat sheet" that they could tape up near the fridge or warmer.

My provider knows that DD gets breastmilk because I nurse her at daycare at drop-off and pick-up and I talk about nursing to them frequently! I know that there is one other mom in our class who nurses at the daycare (she goes to my LLL meeting too), and there is another baby who gets only breastmilk in his bottles too. I think the other babies get formula or some may get a breastmilk/formula mixture, though some of them are also breastfed at home. The teachers don't seem to always be clear on what some of the babies are getting and how to handle it. For example, I noticed the provider shaking one of the bottles and informed her that if that baby gets breastmilk it shouldn't be shaken. The teacher said she didn't know that, but she didn't think it was breastmilk in that bottle anyway. I just try to inform them as I go. They have been generally very receptive.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

why shouldn't breastmilk be shaken? I shake mine sometimes, it separates.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
    why shouldn't breastmilk be shaken? I shake mine sometimes, it separates.
    It's my understanding that shaking can denature the proteins (break them apart so they are not usefull anymore), same as a microwave. I swirl mine instead of shaking it.

Here's a thread about it:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=6681
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

If I'm remembering correctly, The Womenly Art of Breastfeeding says to shake gently...?

On page 158 of the seventh edition, the WAB does indeed say to shake gently. However, research since that was published indicates that milk should be swirled. Because pages on the net are much easier to keep updated, this page http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html shows the most recent info about heating milk, and it says to gently swirl.

:-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I agree with pp that suggested giving the care providers a cheat sheet. Even the most committed and lovign CP can easily forget or get mixed up with the demands of taking care of multiple babies. I am sure that most CP's would be open to coaching and any system you could work out together. If not, run away fast! Good luck with everything, and welcome to the forums.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.