Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about the family bed

Default Question about the family bed

Hello, I am a first time mom of a 14mo old boy. We live in a really small town were everyone has a set mind. Nursing is not enforced and if you want to give up there is't any help, unless your mom breast feed. I still breast feed my baby and he sleeps in the family bed. I found that if I have to get up in the middle of the night than I'm going to stay in bed. I feel that if Rhyan (my baby) is ready for his own bed he'll say so when the time comes. I just don't know if it'll work if I have another baby in the bed. What would be the plan if that were the case?
    luvya, mandypr

Default Re: Question about the family bed

Hi mandypr,
    Good for you for doing what is right for your family with what sounds like very little support!! We love the family bed at our house too, everybody gets more sleep that way here. There are ways to have a toddler and a baby in the same bed safely. The way we did it here was to have bed pushed up against a wall, baby next to wall, mommy in the middle and toddler on the outer edge. In our house, daddy decided he would sleep in another room for a while, but a lot of co-sleeping families put baby between mommy and daddy with toddler on other side of mommy. Usually as long is toddler is not right next to baby. Other families use co-sleepers (a side-car, type crib that fits against family bed). I guess what I'm trying to say is you have a lot of options! Check out the "do you co-sleep" thread in the "sleep - or lack of it" forum. Oh, and welcome!!!

We love having our king bed and then the toddler's bed alongside. She still sleeps with us lots but we do have a place to roll her over to if we feel a need for some privacy. When our twins were little we added a queen bed alongside our bed and that was plenty of room for all of us.

momuvseven

The girsl start out their night in thier bed, a few hours later they are with us. Our bed is pushed up to the wall as well and Emma (18 months) sleeps closest to the wall, mommy, daddy, and Abby (4 years).

We started this when Emma was 1 month old, before this her and I slept on the couch. We slept much better when we went back into the bed.

Default Couch co-sleeping -- caution!

Quote Originally Posted by LeakyLeague
    We started this when Emma was 1 month old, before this her and I slept on the couch. We slept much better when we went back into the bed.
    There are a lot of options for safe and restful co-sleeping -- but co-sleeping on a couch, especially with a young infant, isn't recommended by any of the experts. With all the cushions on a couch, it's very easy for an infant to experience entrapment and suffocate while the adult is sleeping.

I'm a huge fan of the family bed -- both my stepson and my now-4yo son have benefited greatly from co-sleeping -- so please don't interpret my post as criticism of co-sleeping in general. But like everything else, there are safer ways and riskier ways of doing it, and couches are definitely on the riskier side.

--Rebecca

My ds was 19 months old and "still" in the family bed when I got pg. Just after he turned 2, we changed our bed situation. Dh and I bought a king-size bed, and we put a twin mattress and box spring on the floor next to the big bed. He loves having "his" own bed. I still nurse him to sleep on his bed, and if he wakes up at night, I will lay down with him and nurse him back to sleep.

Our new baby will be here any time now. We've talked about it a lot with ds, and he knows the baby will be sleeping in "mommy and daddy's bed" with us. He also knows that there will be one breast for him, and one for the new baby.

There are lots of different solutions, this was the one that seemed like it would work best for us. I expect there will still be a lot of adjustments once the baby comes, and I'm a little nervous about what will happen if ds wakes up at night while I'm trying to get some sleep around nursing a newborn. But, I just figure it will somehow work itself out.

I got between the kids when the baby was little.