Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shocked that books and mags define weaning as giving up the bottle!

Thumbs down Shocked that books and mags define weaning as giving up the bottle!

I received a new Parenting magazine the other day and on the cover it gave suggestions on "weaning". I opened it up and all it mentioned was how to get baby off of a bottle and onto a sippy cup around a year old. My ds doesn't take a bottle. I bf only and give him a sippy cup of water with his meals. I feel so in the minority at 8 months. I'm proud that he is getting the best from me, but it seems the magazines are missing the mark here. If the AAP recommends bf for at least a year, you would think they would at the very least mention weaning baby from breast to sippy cup as that seems a lot harder to do. Many Moms have a hard time introducing cows milk to bf toddlers since they aren't accustomed to taking much from a cup...

I think I will send them a letter...

By the way, I do plan on introducing cows milk at around a year, but to continue to bf until ds self weans...

Brenda

Default Re: Shocked that books and mags define weaning as giving up the bottle!

I saw this issue at the pediatrician's office last week. I had the same thought since DD is three now and we are moving towards weaning. I opened to the article to find information on bottles. As usual the mainstream magazines overlook or belittle nursing moms. I don't buy these magazines because since their limited information on breastfeeding is usually so faulty I don't really feel they are reliable sources for other information on parenting. My pediatrician is just awful regarding breastfeeding anyways. All the magazines are gifts from formula companies as are the charts on the walls, the calenders, pens and notepads. I have tried to educate her but it has been a challenge.

As for magazines I really like Mothering and LLL top the list!

momuvseven

I don't like that mag either.. most of the stories are about all this junk that babies realy don't need and all the current toys and classes that kids must have to be well adjusted...
    most of the ads are for formula.

A story about weaning that doesn't mention breastfeeding -- so typical of this genre of parenting media.

I was fortunate to realize very early in my motherhood journey that those mainstream parenting magazines have precisely the same function as most women's magazines -- to make us feel insecure enough to buy what they advertise. It is not about making us better parents or helping our children have healthier, happier lives. It's about keeping their advertisers in business.

--Rebecca

The 'mainsteam' magazines in the UK are so full of formula compnay advertisements I'm not surprised to hear your story. The latest way to get around advertising regulations is for them to talk about their 'birth clubs'. They want to encourage pregnant women to 'sign up' and fill their homes with their corporate logos and 'supportive advice'. I made a complaint to the advertising standards authority as I felt it was undermining breastfeeding and was told it was perfectly fine. These 'birth club' ads don't have to contain the standard little sentence about how breastfeeding is best for the first 6 months of life which the others formula ads do.
    grrr