Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help PLEASE give advice

Default Need help PLEASE give advice

Okay, sorry in advance for this being so long. I am not sure if my problem is ds or my supply.
    1st-ds' diapers have decreased in wetness, but is still having 4 wet diapers. Just not as wet as they were. I have noticed this decrease the last 1 1/2 weeks. Is it my supply or is it him?
    He is having the symptoms of another tooth coming in......
    1)chewing on fingers more
    2) spitting up and burping up and swallowing what comes up more
    3) fussy at breast-sucks until after first let down gets upset and cries.
    4) drooling more than normal.
    5) Fussier than normal and sometimes wants to comfort suck every hour to two hours. Hardly sucks for milk.
    But I am not sure if that is all it is

My issues:
    1) my breasts don't feel as full. I noticed it this week. (DS is 10 mo old)
    2) I am pumping less than normal.
    3) I just don't feel like he is getting enough milk from me
    4) I started the South Beach diet almost 3 weeks ago-I was eating more cheese and little to no carbs. I have cut out the cheese again to see if that is part of the problem.

I am wandering if the diet (increase in cheese and decrease in carbs) has had any effect on my supply. I am also wandering if his spitting up and fussiness is related to the increase in cheese. Or is that his teeting? I have been nursing as much as possible when I am home with him. Offering my breasts atleast every 2 hours and pumping whenever possible. I am taking fenugreek and drinking mothers milk tea, drinking atleast 2 Liters of water a day. I have been doing this since Sunday. I am sure it is going to take a good week to get my supply up. But I am worried I am drying up?
    I am having a hard time getting enough milk for one bottle a day (luckily I am usually only gone for one bottle during the day). I don't have any stored up milk. I don't know what to do. Should I start ds on formula (not something I want to do, but this is about ds' health).
    Please help me!!
    TIA

Default Re: Need help PLEASE give advice

Oh yeah, or is it possible that ds is trying to wean himself? I would not consider this a nursing strike given that he is constantly looking for my boob. Today when I was home with him, he literally wanted to "comfort nurse" every hour. I even co-slept a nap with him this afternoon.

Hmmm... I have a couple of thoughts. *Maybe* it could be the diet. I have absolutely no research or medical reason to say that, just some things off the top of my head. I was once on a low carb diet (before being pregnant) and I recall that it made you somewhat dehydrated--have to pee all the time and get really thirsty. So, that *could* affect milk supply??? Also, I've read on many other posts here that grains are good for increasing supply. So, the opposite-eating very few grains, could have the opposite effect???

My next thought is has your period returned? Some women experience a temporary drop in supply when their cycle returns, and some continue to experience it each month. My supply did seem to drop (and stay that way) after my cycle returned, although I have not read that that is a common occurrence (more often a temporary drop). OR, any chance you could be pregnant? That can definitely cause a decrease in supply.

It also could just be teething or a mild illness. A baby that isn't feeling well may not be hungry. If you are seeing lots of drooling, then he can't be too dehydrated. However, a decrease in wet diapers would likely mean he is taking in less fluid. Is he eating solids at this point or taking any other liquids besides breastmilk?

I agree with the previous poster ... could be teething, could be the diet. I know personally it only takes a mild dip in calories or hydration level to see a dip in my milk supply. I would think that a low carb diet would be especially harmful to your supply.

Here is some more info on low carb diets and breastfeeding specifically:

Low Carb Diets and Nursing Moms

Is a low carbohydrate diet safe for a breastfeeding mother?

HTH!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

You know, DJ is also 10 month sold and we use cloth and I've also noticed a decrease in how wet his diapers are and how often I need to change him. I personally think it has to do w/ the age. He's so busy exploring I can barely get him to eat during the day. I nurse him down for both his naps and beyond that I'm lucky if he want to eat two other times during the day. We often go 4 or 5 hours w/out him nursing. Especially on days when we're "out". It never occurs to me to worry. Is your baby eating solids? DJ is eating about two "meals" a day and is drinking water w/his meals...that could be affecting how much one want to nurse as well I assume....The night diaper is still soaked right? Because I just assume that there is some reverse cycling going on. That as well as a ton of comfort nursing have been going on since th teething started. I wouldn't supplement w/ formula. I hadn't planned on it....Even if someone said I needed to be worried about his fluid intake at this point I'd hesistate on introducing formula at this late stage in the game. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I actually feed DJ cheese! Beyond all the dairy I eat! I wouldn't worry unless your baby becomes lethargic or the poop is the hard pellet like poop.

No, I have not had my period yet. I have had cramping off and on for about a month, but nothing.
    I am definately going to go off the diet and see if that helps (although I am sad, b/c I was losing my weight, but he is definately worth it). Thanks for the links Paint the Moon (by the way your lo is adorable!!)
    DS is taking in solids-2 meals a day. He will occasionally drink water with his meals. He drank alot of water today along with his comfort nursing. I have actually started decreasing the amount of food I give him to see if he will nurse more.
    I did not think about him not feeling well..........
    First thing morning diapers are NOT soaking, they are wet, but not anything like they were. He is not lethargic, but his stools are pellet like. What would you all suggest?
    Thanks

I would really try adding some carbs in. Starting w/ oatmeal to build your supply back up.
    I went on a low carb / no sugar diet in order to overcome intraductal thrush. Around the 7th to 9th day (after losing 7 pounds) my milk supply went WAY down. I was back to nursing every 2 hours.
    The cheese was probably helping your supply because the lactose in it is a sugar.
    For me, it was about the thrush. But, that weight loss was awesome! Very tempting. When I looked at losing weight vs. breastfeeding. I felt like I had the rest of my life to lose the weight and only the next couple of years to nurse.
    Good luck, let us know how it all works out! I bet once you get some fresh fruit & oatmeal back in your diet you guys will be right back where you left off.
    Best, Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
    First thing morning diapers are NOT soaking, they are wet, but not anything like they were. He is not lethargic, but his stools are pellet like. What would you all suggest?
    Thanks
    Yeah, this sounds like he's a little constipated and maybe needs more fluids. I still don't think you need to worry about formula at this point. If he were really severely dehydrated you'd see hardly any wet diapers and he wouldn't be drooling everywhere. I just think I'd start eating some grains, offer him some water regularly, and encourage him to nurse. If you don't see any improvement in a couple days, then maybe reevaluate and see if you need to do anything else.

Along with a drop in supply from the low carb diet, have you thought that maybe the new diet makes your breastmilk taste different too? That could be why you know he's comfort sucking sometimes but not really trying to get any milk out. With my first ds, there was something I ate that he didn't like the taste of in my breastmilk...sorry, I can't remember what it was. Taste differences can also be reasons for some babies to not want to nurse very much.

I also read in the breastfeeding book put out by the AAP that if a mom starts exercising very very frequently all of a sudden (like everyday for a long time) lactic acid can build up in the body and change the taste of the breastmilk...and some babies don't like it. They suggested going down to exercising 3 times a week for 30 min. per session to counteract the excess lactic acid that got in the breastmilk...so anyway, if you added exercise to your new diet, that could be the culprit too if you're doing it too much.

Well, I went out today and bought some oatmeal and oatmeal cookies, which my husband gave me a hard time about.
    This mornings diaper was more dry than wet, so after trying to nurse him for 40 minutes, I had to leave for work and offered what little milk I had pumped for him to drink. I got home about 4 hours after nursing him-he came back an nursed pretty well this afternoon. He had 2 heavier diapers!!! I am going to just keep nursing and pumping. I offer my breast every 2 hours when I am with him and pump every 3 when away from him. First thing in the morning I got 2.5 oz (compared to my normal 3-4 ounces). on my way to work, I pumped and got Nothing. We focused on nursing all afternoon, and nap nursed for 2 hours. Tonight I pumped an ounce.
    Tommorow I will have to pump again eary morning so he can have a bottle when I am away for 4 hours. That bottle will only have 3-4 ounces, but that is better than nothing I guess!! Plus if I nurse before I leave at 8, he should be okay until I get back.
    I know he is not severly dehydrated. He is Drooling like crazy, he gets tears in his eyes when he cries. I just hate seeing him get frustrated with my milk insufficiency.
    I am lucky to have all of you wonderful women and my dh to support me. My goal is to nurse until ds is 15 months old. I just hope my supply gets back up to where it used to be so I can continue to nurse. I stress about having enough for a bottle when I am gone more than anything.

I have been exercising all along, but I just increased the intensity and frequency. I have gone back to my normal routine and eating carbs to get my supply back. I think ds must have liked all the sweets I was eating, because I was eating a ton of sweets before I went on the diet.
    Thank you all so much for your advice, I don't know what I would do without you. DS would most likely be on formula by now.