Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let-Down while breastfeeding

Smile Let-Down while breastfeeding

I've heard a lot about let-down and am wondering exactly what this feeling is that you're supposed to have, so you know that you're baby is getting the hindmilk that's so important to their wellbeing. It's been 5 years since I last breastfed and to be honest, I really can't remember feeling anything. If anyone out there can give me some ideas, I'd really appreciate it!
    Many thanks!

Default Re: Let-Down while breastfeeding

A lot of times, I don't feel the letdown. I just notice my dd starts sucking more. When I do feel it though, It feels kind of warm or tingly. Just as long as she is producing the right amount of wet and dry diapers,and gaining weight okay, your milk is probably letting down fine!

I never really felt my letdown much. I would usually notice it in the beginning when my other breast would start leaking. Still happens every once in a while if I'm "full". My neighbor said she feels/felt it every time it happened. So I guess it's different for everyone.

I've never been one to feel every let down either. Sometimes it's a pulling, tightening, tingly sensation ... more so on the breast that isn't being nursed on. I relied more on the swallowing pattern of my little one changing to long and drawn out sucking, many times I can actually hear the milk being swallowed when I let down also. And also she will sometimes make this little puffing sound as she swallows.

This is what kellymom.com says about it:

It is normal for let-down not to feel as strong as your baby gets older. Some mothers never feel let-down, and some stop feeling the let-down sensation as time goes by. This does not necessarily indicate that let-down is not taking place.

Reliable signs of a healthy, functioning let-down include:

In the first week or so, mother may notice uterine cramping during letdown.
    Baby changes his sucking pattern from short and choppy (like a pacifier suck) at the beginning of the feeding to more long, drawing, and rhythmic a minute or so into the feeding.

Mother may have a feeling of calm, relaxation, sleepiness or drowsiness.

Mother may have a strong sensation of thirst while breastfeeding.

Baby is swallowing more often. A swallow sounds like a small puff of air coming out the baby's nose and you can usually see the muscle moving in front of the baby's ear, giving the baby the appearance of his earlobes subtley wiggling.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I don't usually feel it, but when I do it feels tingly in my nipple. But don't be surprised if you don't feel it at all!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

In the beginning I felt it a lot, but now it's only when my breasts are really full. It's a tingling, pulling or tugging feeling on the sides of my breasts to my nipples.

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Mine is a very distinct feeling of the milk moving from the back of my breasts to the front in a "rush." Makes my nipples tingle in a "hit my funny bone" kind of way. It happens about a minute into the nursing session, or if she's late for a feeding for whatever reason. I still feel it almost every time I nurse, and my dd is 7 months old. Maybe I'm the minority, as most people seem to not feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    In the beginning I felt it a lot, but now it's only when my breasts are really full. It's a tingling, pulling or tugging feeling on the sides of my breasts to my nipples.
    thats the exact feeling i have...

I too wondered what the let down felt like until I started feeling it. If my DD nurses on one side I usually feel it much more on the other. Mine is so strong it's almost painful. I can literally feel the milk going down into the nipple and then I start leaking like crazy.
    All women are different though. As long as your child is gaining weight and seems satisfied, there's no need to worry.

I don't feel it at all. I just notice it happens because my daughter starts gulping a lot. Don't worry if you don't feel it.