Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: on demand feeding

Default on demand feeding

My LO is 2 months old. I've been feeding her 2-3 hours during the day regardless of whether she "demands" it or not and she goes about 6 hours at night without a feeding (yes, I'am very happy about it. Anyhow, today we had our 2 month checkup and the pediatrician recommended I begin to feed her on demand. She says babies can go 4-6 hours between feedings and that they can take in more (4-6oz). She weighed 10lbs at the appt (3lbs more than when she was born).

My question is is this a good idea? If you feed on demand, what is your schedule like? Will I lose my milk supply if I feed less frequently? I guess I worry because she was a lazy eater when she was born and then I also worry that I will lose my milk supply.

Please give me an idea of how your baby feeds if you feed her on demand. Thanks.

Default Re: on demand feeding

hi there. welcome to the forum and congratulations on your LO!

"on demand" feeding is a good thing for baby. if you are a stay at home mom, you pretty much create your schedule around baby's feeding times. even if she's a lazy eater, she will tell you (by crying or fussy) when she's hungry...so that's when you would feed her. if you think that she'll go longer than 2-3 hours between feeding, then yes - this can compromise your supply...i would definitely recommend talking to your pedi again about your concerns. another option would be to pump in between feedings (if your LO is going more than 2-3 hours between feedings). for example, you could pump an hour after you nurse her. this can help to maintain your milk supply.

we still nurse my dd on demand...she's 5 months old now...she "demands" food about every 4 hours...and still nurses at least once or twice in the middle of the night.

not sure if i answered your questions...post back if you have more questions!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I would also say on demand is a good idea- we pretty much do that too - but my DS like a "schedule"... & as far as your supply is concerned if you feed your LO when they "ask" your supply will generally fall in line and "supply" when it's "demanded"..
    hope this made sense as it's late for me and I wanted to just post to help and give encouragement

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I also feed on demand since my DD was born, my daughter is now 7 months old. For me, around the time she was 2-3 months old, I was freaking out cause I thought my milk supply was down, however it's supposively normal to feel that way late afternoon, early evening (milk supply for me was still good regardless of feeling empty) If you feed her on cue (not waiting till she's starving), then she'll regulate how much you need to make for her needs. Sometimes my daughter was literally attached to me almost all day long during growth spurts.

Feeding schedules for me, every 2 hours or so. She gets up about 2 times a night. It used to be 3. When she was that little, she never slept longer than 4 hours at night, 4 hours was about the max at that time (if I was lucky). 2-3 hours was normal for her. We also sleep together which makes night time feedings much easier and peaceful

I believe you should do what makes you feel good, and your baby happy. No one knows your baby like you do. As long as she's healthy Congratulations!!
    Last edited by okpat; October 20th, 2006 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling :(

My baby is almost 10 months old. He's always eaten on demand. I don't wake a sleeping baby to eat but I will let someone who in pain from teething or a cold nurse 8-12x anight if need be. (We co-sleep.) EBF babies self regulate. They don't overeat and they let you know when they're hungry. Your breast will make enough food for your chiild. It's a supply and demand thing. Let her demand. If it seems like DS has gone too long w/out eating (41/2-5hours. Which happens because he's got so much to do now) I will hang out w/out my shirt on in the house and he will come by and grab a snack here and there during the day. Keep the snack bar open!

thank you everyone for your response.

so last night, my LO slept 8 hours. i love it. and would like to "train" her to sleep through the night. does any of yours do this? how long do they go at night. i guess i'm still just paranoid that my milk supply might go away. i don't have the biggest breasts and so i'm always worried that i don't supply her with enough and then if they go away...even though she seems content.

thanks.

Congratulations on the great start you've gotten with your LO! It sounds like things have gone very well. You are probably actually doing more "on demand" feeding than you think you are. Feeding on demand doesn't mean that you wait for the baby to become really hungry and cry. Some babies "demand" or "cue" that they are hungry much earlier by rooting, biting on their hands, etc. A baby who isn't hungry will not take milk (they may comfort nurse, but won't actively suck to take a full feeding). You don't really need to worry about over feeding--babies are very good at self-regulating. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt the baby in any way to offer the breast even if you aren't sure if the baby is cueing to nurse--if she isn't hungry, she won't eat. That is still considered "feeding on demand". Some babies do go long periods between nursings, but MOST continue to nurse pretty often, ESPECIALLY if they are taking a long stretch at night without nursing. The medical definition of sleeping "through the night" is actually only 5 hours--so your baby is already doing that, no training needed . I actually would be a little concerned about a 2 month old sleeping much longer stretches than your baby is already doing. LLL does not recommend "sleep training", since that actually *can* cause difficulty with milk supply. Follow your baby's cues and all should be well.